Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luca Brasi

Goodwin Hotel to Close?

Luca Brasi    1

Had lunch today with a reliable source who told me of plans to convert the Goodwin Hotel into a trendy boutique hotel by Goodwin Square owners Northland. The "new" hotel will feature a new cocktail lounge and restaurant in line with the trendy feel of the hotel. This will be downtown Hartford's 5 star hotel.

This is great news as I was getting tired of the cookie-cutter type Marriots, Hiltons, Crowne Plazas, etc. And the Goodwin, although not a chain, had the feeling of a chain hotel. And it was badly in need of a facelift. Good news!

Had lunch today with a reliable source who told me of plans to convert the Goodwin Hotel into a trendy boutique hotel by Goodwin Square owners Northland. The "new" hotel will feature a new cocktail lounge and restaurant in line with the trendy feel of the hotel. This will be downtown Hartford's 5 star hotel.

This is great news as I was getting tired of the cookie-cutter type Marriots, Hiltons, Crowne Plazas, etc. And the Goodwin, although not a chain, had the feeling of a chain hotel. And it was badly in need of a facelift. Good news!

Sounds good to me. If Northland is behind it, it should turn out well.

Cotuit    0

This is very good news indeed!....Are we sure that it's going to be 5-stars?

You can't be sure until the stars are awarded.

Providence's 'Hotel Providence' just celebrated it's first anniversary and is doing very good business Downcity. It's Providence's first 5-star boutique hotel. A similar hotel should do very well in Hartford.

ctman987    0

That's awesome news as Hartford is home to many large hotels but all except for the Goodwin are chains and aren't that unique. A botique hotel called Dolce Villa opened in Providence a little while ago and has an Italian feel and is doing awesome, so Goodwin will definitly benefit from this

beerbeer    6

The rooms in the Goodwin never felt like a chain. They have four post beds, etc. It has always been comparable to the the better hotels in the country.

Luca Brasi    1

The Goodwin always felt very "conservative" to me. It will be interesting to see what kind of design they go with.

I have always like the burlwood walls in the lobby at the check in desk and the lounge.

ripley    0

You can't be sure until the stars are awarded.

Providence's 'Hotel Providence' just celebrated it's first anniversary and is doing very good business Downcity. It's Providence's first 5-star boutique hotel. A similar hotel should do very well in Hartford.

I heard that the same designer that did the Hotel Providence is also doing the Goodwin. It should be beautiful.

drc72    5

Sounds good to me. If Northland is behind it, it should turn out well.

Northland wont let us down thats for sure.

Chessplayer    0

This hurts bad.

http://www.courant.com/business/hcu-goodwi...0,2573236.story

Goodwin Hotel To Close

By JEFF COHEN {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}The Hartford Courant

The Goodwin Hotel, downtown's only boutique hotel, is closing at the end of the year.

Citing "crippling operating losses and a sharp downturn in the hospitality industry," a spokesman for downtown's largest landowner, Northland Investment Corp., said that the current financial conditions necessitate closing the hotel.

"Continuing down this path would jeopardize Northland's commitment to Hartford's revitalization," said Northland spokesman Chuck Coursey.

The closing of the 124-room hotel at Asylum and Hayes streets will not impact the businesses in the Goodwin Square's office tower, and all deposits for hotel and function reservations for 2008 will be honored, Coursey said.

OUCH

Goodwin Hotel To Close

the only glimmer of hope

In a statement, Coursey said Northland would offer to lease the hotel to UNITE HERE Local 217 and its employees for $1 a year to keep the hotel open. Absent such a lease, the hotel will close by the end of 2008, he said

Afro Saxon    0
This hurts bad.

Goodwin Hotel To Close

By JEFF COHEN {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}The Hartford Courant

The Goodwin Hotel, downtown's only boutique hotel, is closing at the end of the year.

Citing "crippling operating losses and a sharp downturn in the hospitality industry," a spokesman for downtown's largest landowner, Northland Investment Corp., said that the current financial conditions necessitate closing the hotel.

"Continuing down this path would jeopardize Northland's commitment to Hartford's revitalization," said Northland spokesman Chuck Coursey.

The closing of the 124-room hotel at Asylum and Hayes streets will not impact the businesses in the Goodwin Square's office tower, and all deposits for hotel and function reservations for 2008 will be honored, Coursey said.

grock    0

Does anybody really believe it is the economy?

Notice how Northland is offering to lease the hotel to the union. Unite Here is playing hardball with demands, so Northland decided to close the hotel.

Luca Brasi    1

I'm sure it won't stay closed for long. Its a beautiful hotel in a beautiful building. Someone will take it over... unless Perez tries to force the union on the new owners.

bignasty96    0

Northland is going to kill this city. I'm so sick of their excuses. I'm glad they invested all this money but they haven't been able to attract anything downtown. Their market is still empty in Hartford 21 after TWO years. It's ridiculous. We've all bought into Larry's "vision" and we're still waiting. It's embarassing.

Northland is going to kill this city. I'm so sick of their excuses. I'm glad they invested all this money but they haven't been able to attract anything downtown. Their market is still empty in Hartford 21 after TWO years. It's ridiculous. We've all bought into Larry's "vision" and we're still waiting. It's embarassing.

Luca Brasi    1

Chessplayer    0

Details Vague On Future Of Hartford's Goodwin Hotel

By KENNETH R. GOSSELIN November 6, 2008 The union representing about 70 workers at the Goodwin Hotel in downtown Hartford said Wednesday that it hasn't been told details of an offer to lease the hotel to the union that could keep the hotel open.

Owner Northland Investment Corp. announced Tuesday that it would close the 124-room hotel at the end of the year, citing operating losses and a downturn in the lodging industry.

But Northland offered the lease the hotel to UNITE HERE, Local 217, for $1 in annual rent.

Union official Anthony Dugdale said the union doesn't get into the business of managing properties where it has member workers. But the union has, in the past, helped put together deals to keep hotels open.

"I need to understand what the needs are, understand what is necessary," Dugdale said.

Workers at the hotel expressed sadness over the news Wednesday, and some said they anticipate strong efforts to try to keep the 19-year-old business open.

A Northland spokesman declined Wednesday to discuss specifics of the proposal.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-goodwin...0,1963887.story