Goodwin Hotel to Close?

Luca Brasi

It would be unfortunate for such a well located and attractive hotel to close. As for Hyatt Place, I don't see this as being a great fit for the property. My bet is that another operator is found to take over the hotel before the year is out. Perhaps Renaissance or Sheraton might work. I think it's too small to be a Westin, but stranger things have happened. In the current market I'd expect a slight downscaling to hapen, but one never knows. One would think that the hotel could easily work as it has done for 15 years.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be unfortunate for such a well located and attractive hotel to close. As for Hyatt Place, I don't see this as being a great fit for the property. My bet is that another operator is found to take over the hotel before the year is out. Perhaps Renaissance or Sheraton might work. I think it's too small to be a Westin, but stranger things have happened. In the current market I'd expect a slight downscaling to hapen, but one never knows. One would think that the hotel could easily work as it has done for 15 years.

Odd as it may seem, I could see the Goodwin working well as a W Hotel. The Hotel Washington here in D.C. is being renovated into a W and will reopen next year. The very first W Hotel is, in fact, in an historic building- the old Hotel Belmont on Lexington Avenue in New York, I would think that the numbers and so forth would work out nicely in Hartford for something like this to happen. As noted in one of the posts above, Hartford needs to keep a hotel which is several grades above the Marriott. I can't imagine that there would not be demand for it, but the lenders may have other ideas.

If the hotel does close and is converted into apartments, it would be not unnatural. The hotel was an apartment building through the late 1970's. I would prefer to see it operated as a high-end hotel, but the building ought to be preserved at any cost. If it must be apartments, so be it.

The Hartford Courant- Hotel-Online

If the hotel does close and is converted into apartments, it would be not unnatural. The hotel was an apartment building through the late 1970's. I would prefer to see it operated as a high-end hotel, but the building ought to be preserved at any cost. If it must be apartments, so be it.

The Hartford Courant- Hotel-Online

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-goodwin...,0,653163.story

Perez, Union Seeking Operator For Goodwin Hotel

With the closing of the Goodwin Hotel looming, city and union officials are scrambling to find a new operator for downtown Hartford's only boutique hotel and said they have already talked to four companies that might be willing to consider the possibility.

and later on to be sure that you dont think that Waterford is one of the 4 (because I did)

Len Wolman, whose Waterford Group operates the Marriott Hartford Downtown, the Hilton and the Residence Inn in downtown Hartford, said Wednesday that Waterford isn't interested in taking on the project.

"We don't have any interest at this time," Wolman said. "It is very difficult to predict where the economy is headed. Clearly, we are in very trying economic times."

I definately see something happening here, just not sure what.

I would guess that the top two are Hilton and Marriott who both have a decent pressence in the city. Do either of them have any boutique brands?

Ok, just checked very quickly. If it is Marriott they have a brand called Renaissance which it claims is boutique like and Hilton owns Embassy Suites, which I never considered boutique like, but I guess maybe it could be. I think something will happen to keep the hotel open. The terms offered by Northland for a lease appear to be generous at first glance and I believe it's still a great location. A national hotel brand would be better equiped to cut down on cost and make the operations profitable.

• 1 month later...

WFSB.com

WFSB.com

Hotel Workers: We Want Money We're Owed

Employees Say They Hope Hotel Will Stay Open

POSTED: 6:44 pm EST December 17, 2008

UPDATED: 7:25 pm EST December 17, 2008

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Workers at the historic Goodwin Hotel in Hartford said they want the money they were promised when they were laid off.

But they

WFSB.com

WFSB.com

Hotel Workers: We Want Money We're Owed

Employees Say They Hope Hotel Will Stay Open

POSTED: 6:44 pm EST December 17, 2008

UPDATED: 7:25 pm EST December 17, 2008

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Workers at the historic Goodwin Hotel in Hartford said they want the money they were promised when they were laid off.

But they're also fighting with the hope that the hotel will remain open, they said.

"They want to see this hotel either remain open or be reopened by current owners or a new owner," Unite Here member Monica Bunton said.

The former employees rallied Wednesday to fight to get their jobs back if the hotel stays open.

The Northland Investment Group, which owns the hotel, is planning to sell, which means it will close at the beginning of the new year.

"We're looking for severance packages and health care," 12-year employee James Mason said. "It's going to be really tough, especially around the Christmas holiday."

• 2 weeks later...

Hartford Business Journal

Goodwin Talks Alive

12/22/08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At a rally of about 60 workers and union reps outside the Goodwin Hotel on a raw evening last week, Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez said talks were still alive to keep the landmark operating after Dec. 31.

The mayor said three parties had expressed interest in keeping the doors open, including one

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sounds like some progress may be being made in securing a new operator for the Goodwin Hotel. I really hope that they can get it re-opened by the Gymnastics Championship next year. That would be fantastic. I think it is a positive sign that Northland is not even interested in selling the hotel. They must have some faith that it was still a good investment.

Hartford Courant

The Goodwin closed last fall. Mary Coursey, a spokeswoman for Northland Investment Corp. which owns the hotel, said that the majority of people who walk through the closed hotel are potential operators - not potential buyers. And despite the mayor's schedule, Coursey's understanding is that Roberts may want to operate, not own, the hotel. NOTE: Coursey called Cityline Friday morning to reiterate that the hotel itself is not for sale.

She says that others have shown some interest in operating the hotel. Nothing, though, has materialized.

Archived