What should be done with Greer Stadium?

smeagolsfree

An article in the City Paper this morning has listed some possible uses for the Greer Stadium site after the new Sounds Stadium is built. They include a park, civil war museum, family community center. What are your thoughts on this? Could Metro be overlooking some possible uses for this land so close to the downtown area. Remember this is connected to the Cumberland Science Museum.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...s&news_id=48170

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville needs more athletic fields/complexes. Currently ew have to drive to Green Hills or Brentwood for our boys to play soccer/baseball and basketball. It would be great if there were some other options closer to downtown.

Professional Women's Softball eh??? That sounds like delaying the inevitable if they went to that route, which I doubt, but it definately needs to come down and the site rehabbed if at all possible.

Honestly I think this would be a great idea. Or tear ot down and build a condo tower on the site.

I saw the womens softball idea and thought to myself, we are building a $50 million facility downtown that will only be used ~80 days a year anyway. We can't make it useful for softball also? They used to play baseball and football in one stadium.

I realize there are some field differences (no mound), but it just seems to me like that could be overcome. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I agree; the new Sounds stadium could be used for softball. I think Greer is an eyesore, and I hope either a) the stadium/parking lots are removed and replaced with greenspace to compliment the hill, or b) a civil war museum is constructed.

^^ Thats a good idea IMO. I hear alot about urban centers increasingly lacking baseball fields in particular, which is causing many cities to have fewer children, esp. minorities, playing baseball compared to past generations.

From what I understand, it isn't necessarily the scarcity of such venues that is causing fewer children to play, but fewer children playing outdoor games in the last 20 years (especially in the advent of the video games/internet era).

I'm all for making it an extension of the Science Center/Ft. Negley. Interest in Civil War history is high and brings people to the area from all over. An interpretive center connected to the park and to the Science Center would be a good idea. If you guys haven't been to Ft. Negley, you should. It's very well done and the skyline views are phenomenal.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think it should be sold to the highest bidder and zoned commercial/residential/industrial. I say it's high time nashville earned some tax money off that piece of land...and let nashvillians put it to good use.

I think it should be sold to the highest bidder and zoned commercial/residential/industrial. I say it's high time nashville earned some tax money off that piece of land...and let nashvillians put it to good use.

I'll agree with commercial or residential...but not industrial. Also remember that it is next to a historic site...actually 2.

• 5 months later...

Archived