National Harbor/Gaylord National

urbanvb

Gaylord Entertainment expected to expand National Harbor project

Prince George's County officials are expected to announce a proposed major expansion of the $2 billion National Harbor project Wednesday.

A news conference is scheduled for Wednesday morning with county officials and Colin Reed, chairman and CEO of Gaylord Entertainment (NYSE:GET), which has already started work on a 1,500-room hotel and a 400,000-square-foot convention center on the banks of the Potomac River. County officials and Gaylord representatives did not provide specifics on the proposed expansion.

article

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a huge development. Anyone have any additional info on this?

National Harbor

http://www.nationalharbor.com/

"A 300 acre mixed-use community dynamically designed to create a unique and vibrant waterfront destination.

Located just minutes away from the nation’s capitol on a scenic mile long stretch of the Potomac River, National Harbor is an exciting urban-waterfront community that will serve the area’s 33 million annual visitors. National Harbor combines retail, dining, entertainment, office and residential, along with the largest combined hotel and convention center on the Eastern Seaboard. It truly is the perfect place to live, work, shop, and play!"

natharbor1.jpg

natharbor2.jpg

natsite.jpg

Gaylord National

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordnational/

"Caressing the shores of the scenic Potomac River and within view of the Capital City, a new national landmark is on the rise. Here, climate- controlled atriums of glass and steel will soar 18-stories above the water to reflect the power, glory, and legacy of our nation's capital. A paved promenade along the river's edge will play scenic host to tour boats and a full-service marina. And visitors from around the world will be awed by panoramic views of Washington, D.C. and Old Town Alexandria, Virginia.

This is the wonder-filled Gaylord National, a new American dream setting, primed to take its rightful place as the most exclusive, all encompassing meeting and convention site ever created. Its promise of elegance and comfort will be seen in its 1,500 amenity-laden guestrooms that include over 100 lavish suites. And punctuated by the excitement of signature restaurants, elegant retail shops, live-entertainment and world-class recreation."

gaylord4.jpg

gaylord3.jpg

gaylord1.jpg

its very wierd hearing about gaylord outside of Nashville because this is where it all started. They bought Opryland Hotel & Resort. Then they bought the Arena, now the GEC (Gaylord Entertainment Center). Then they bought out Opryland Theme Park and bulldozed it to build a mall, Opry Mills Mall.

its very wierd hearing about gaylord outside of Nashville because this is where it all started. They bought Opryland Hotel & Resort. Then they bought the Arena, now the GEC (Gaylord Entertainment Center). Then they bought out Opryland Theme Park and bulldozed it to build a mall, Opry Mills Mall.

Yeah, Gaylord has been running the Opryland show in Nashville (hotel, theme park, WSM, Grand Ole Opry, and for a while even CMT and TNN) for the past several decades. Taking note of the growth of the original Opryland Hotel, since the late 90s, they've been broadening their focus beyond the entertainment industry (which is indeed how it all started) toward the convention hotel/resort business.

With the opening of the Gaylord Palms outside of Orlando in 2002, and Gaylord Texan in Grapevine in 2004, the three hotel properties account for vast majority of the company's revenue, which, annually, is approaching the billion dollar mark. Their vision has been to develop the first truly convention-focused hotel company which will be increasingly able to rotate groups' and companies' annual conventions around their growing network of destination resorts. With Nashville's convention space at 600,000 sq.ft. and Orlando and Texas each at 400,000, each resort's convention space rivals that of many city and county convention centers.

And they've certainly caught the attention of the industry. Gaylord Opryland and Gaylord Palms were two of 5 hotels in the world to receive the 2005 Gold Key Elite award, the highest recognition attainable for convention hotels (which is quite a statement, considering that Gaylord clinched two of the spots with only three total properties, compared to other companies with tens and tens of properties). And in a 2005 MeetingNews report on convention hotels, the Gaylord brand came out on top in 9 of 13 categories, and overall, surpassing other upscale brands such as Sofitel, Le Meridien, Omni, Westin, J.W. Marriott, InterContinental, and Lowes.

With Gaylord National opening in 2008, and a Chula Vista (San Diego) project in the works, Gaylord is positioning itself to remain on top in the convention resort business.

• 4 months later...

National Harbor development moves forward

An expansion to the $2 billion National Harbor project will proceed, after Prince George's County officials came to an agreement Tuesday regarding minority contracting at the massive development.

Work is progressing at National Harbor, which is expected to open in the spring of 2008. With the expansion, the development will eventually include 2,000 hotel rooms, 460,000 square feet of convention space and 1 million square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment offerings.

story

National Harbor development moves forward

story

Nice development but I will not go anywhere near it with the traffic that this development will generate. I was against the project because I do not think even the new Wilson Bridge will be adequate to handle the increase in traffic. Now that the development has commenced the county, state and federal governments should look at extending metro or building a light rail station to this massive development.

I was thinking the same thing. If one building in my city of Va Beach will add an additional 5500 cars to the already crowded Independence Blvd then imagine what this massive development will do to the surrouding areas. I wonder with the city's intentions are..

I was thinking the same thing. If one building in my city of Va Beach will add an additional 5500 cars to the already crowded Independence Blvd then imagine what this massive development will do to the surrouding areas. I wonder with the city's intentions are..

It can only increase the density of an area that is decidedly suburban with large homes on decent size parcels of land. I don't know if I am remembering this correcly but Prince Georges County is going to try to minimize density in this area to prevent too much development spilling on already substandard Roads. Anyone familiar with the Indian Head Highway area knows this to be the truth.

Nice development but I will not go anywhere near it with the traffic that this development will generate. I was against the project because I do not think even the new Wilson Bridge will be adequate to handle the increase in traffic.

It is a nice a Development.

Ya know they just finished buildig a $multi-Million extension to Tysons Corner Mall. In another thread I was reading about the proposed future development of Tysons Corner, Arlington, and Reston. Its quite odd that YOU had nothing negative to say about the on going sprawling development in Fairfax, Arliunton, and Loudon County. Now that PG County is now Stepping Up with their Upscale Development you want to bad mouth it, and had no problems stating that you will be traveling to Reston because of all of the growth that is going on in Tyson's Corner, Reston, Loudon and Arlington Counties. The last time I checked Tysons, Corner, Reston, and Arlington County's traffic is 10x worst then the traffic in PG County near the National Harbor.

Its no secret that you Virginia loving Maryland haters don't want Prince Georges and Mointgomery County to out grow Northern Virginia's Upscale Development, Highway Building, Employment and Ecconomic Growth. It is soo sad that you would slam PG County Upscale Development because it is not a part of Northern Virginia. Whether you like it or not PG County(along with Montgomery County) is going to continue to develop and compete with Northern Virginia(Upscale Development, Highway Building, Employment and Ecconomic Growth) and if you can't handle that then you and all of the Maryland haters need to move to another region because that type of selfish econmic development biasness will definately become the thing of the past.

Now that the development has commenced the county, state and federal governments should look at extending metro or building a light rail station to this massive development.

It is already in the planning books.

That is not a very good way to post your first response in our forum. Anyway, no one was bad mouthing or comparing VA vs MD. Both of us are saying the roads will be full of cars bc of such a massive project. We all know Nova has enough cars because of its sprawling nature and how could one not take notice that the same will happen in other areas should such massive development take place.

That is not a very good way to post your first response in our forum. Anyway, no one was bad mouthing or comparing VA vs MD. Both of us are saying the roads will be full of cars bc of such a massive project. We all know Nova has enough cars because of its sprawling nature and how could one not take notice that the same will happen in other areas should such massive development take place.

I was not born yesterday. Something does not sound right when someone supports development in one area but making up unproven claims that a new development in a different area will not be able to handle the traffic onthe local roads even if it is 6 lanes, 8 lanes and 12 lanes.

Look at these two quotes and ask yourself what is different between the two:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...1520&st=100

Wow, Reston is giving Tysons Corner a serious run for its money! I have not been to Reston since 2004 and I am amazed at how much it has grown in a scant 2 years. I will have to visit soon and take my own pictures.

I will not go anywhere near it with the traffic that this development will generate. I was against the project because I do not think even the new Wilson Bridge will be adequate to handle the increase in traffic.

It can only increase the density of an area that is decidedly suburban with large homes on decent size parcels of land. I don't know if I am remembering this correcly but Prince Georges County is going to try to minimize density in this area to prevent too much development spilling on already substandard Roads. Anyone familiar with the Indian Head Highway area knows this to be the truth.

That samething can be said about Route 7(Arlington and Fairfax County) and US 1 Jefferson Davis/Richmond Highway(Alexandria) which carry sprawl half the size of MD 210 Indian Head Highway. After All of the Military Base moves from Crystal City to Fort Belvior; US 1 will be a parking lot and that won't even stop development like you are hoping/sugesting that PG County will stop doing.

It is a nice a Development.

Ya know they just finished buildig a $multi-Million extension to Tysons Corner Mall. In another thread I was reading about the proposed future development of Tysons Corner, Arlington, and Reston. Its quite odd that YOU had nothing negative to say about the on going sprawling development in Fairfax, Arliunton, and Loudon County. Now that PG County is now Stepping Up with their Upscale Development you want to bad mouth it, and had no problems stating that you will be traveling to Reston because of all of the growth that is going on in Tyson's Corner, Reston, Loudon and Arlington Counties. The last time I checked Tysons, Corner, Reston, and Arlington County's traffic is 10x worst then the traffic in PG County near the National Harbor.

Its no secret that you Virginia loving Maryland haters don't want Prince Georges and Mointgomery County to out grow Northern Virginia's Upscale Development, Highway Building, Employment and Ecconomic Growth. It is soo sad that you would slam PG County Upscale Development because it is not a part of Northern Virginia. Whether you like it or not PG County(along with Montgomery County) is going to continue to develop and compete with Northern Virginia(Upscale Development, Highway Building, Employment and Ecconomic Growth) and if you can't handle that then you and all of the Maryland haters need to move to another region because that type of selfish econmic development biasness will definately become the thing of the past.

It is already in the planning books.

Interesting I did not realize that I was a Maryland Hater. I actually am very pleased that Prince Georges County is growing economically and is competing with NOVA. That being said my main gripe is with the location of National Harbor. It is not a transit oriented development like Ballston in Arlington, it is not a smart growth/new urbanism type developoment like Reston Town Center and Tysons Corner where soon Metro will be extended too. I could be wrong but from what I have read about the National Harbor project it appears that it is mostly an entertainment destination requiring people who work and party there to drive to get there. This can only make the traffic situation worse in this area. Remember although we have a new Wilson Bridge, the Beltway leading to it from both the Virginia and Maryland sides will not be widen in the forseeable future. Again we will have to see what happens, but this strikes me as a recipe for disaster. I would have been all for this project if it were built around existing infrastructure (roads, metro stop etc.). Why could this have not been an infill project in Landover or College Park where there is existing infrastructure?

As for being a Maryland hater nothing is further from the truth. I have always lauded Maryland as a leader in smart growth. I laud Montgomery County (especially Doug Duncan) for attempting to steer development to Rockville in an attempt to control suburban sprawl. This is the type of development that should be encouraged not the type of sprawl that is happening in Loudoun County! There I criticized a NOVA community.

That samething can be said about Route 7(Arlington and Fairfax County) and US 1 Jefferson Davis/Richmond Highway(Alexandria) which carry sprawl half the size of MD 210 Indian Head Highway. After All of the Military Base moves from Crystal City to Fort Belvior; US 1 will be a parking lot and that won't even stop development like you are hoping/sugesting that PG County will stop doing.

So you want MD 210 to become like Route 7 or 1? I am suggesting since PG County is just now really becoming a development player in this region that they have the opportunity to learn from the mistakes that other communities have made. The economic development chief for PG County said the exact same thing this weekend on channel 4. I think without proper infrastructure that National Harbor is a mistake, but I really hope that I am wrong. If the traffic nightmare does not come to fruition than I most definately would love to visit the development and spend money there.

This Lexington guy sounds like the same guy that came into the BeyondDC blogs and started wars and accusing VAers of being haters. Anyway, I pretty much agree with much that's been said, I like the development, I like PG County a lot and it has a ton of potential. I love the location of this project, I just hope to god that there is some larger scale transit out that way which there will be in the future, but how soon is the question. With transit, this place will dictate its own development and become more livable and organic. I don't want to see this large development and great idea go to waste because of lack of transit options.

Interesting I did not realize that I was a Maryland Hater. I actually am very pleased that Prince Georges County is growing economically and is competing with NOVA. That being said my main gripe is with the location of National Harbor. It is not a transit oriented development like Ballston in Arlington, it is not a smart growth/new urbanism type developoment like Reston Town Center and Tysons Corner where soon Metro will be extended too.

I could be wrong but from what I have read about the National Harbor project it appears that it is mostly an entertainment destination requiring people who work and party there to drive to get there. This can only make the traffic situation worse in this area. Remember although we have a new Wilson Bridge, the Beltway leading to it from both the Virginia and Maryland sides will not be widen in the forseeable future. Again we will have to see what happens, but this strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

I would have been all for this project if it were built around existing infrastructure (roads, metro stop etc.). Why could this have not been an infill project in Landover or College Park where there is existing infrastructure? As for being a Maryland hater nothing is further from the truth.

Oh really now.

You don't like the National Harbor because it is not in Virginia. Tyson's Corner, Reston, Chantilly, Dulles, Sterling, Ashburn, Centerville, and Dale City is not Transit oriented but that does not stop you folx from supporting more develpment in those areas. Sure Tyson's and Reston may soon have a metro subway, but there is also a right-away path for a future subway extention to the National Harbor and they are planning to Extend the Green line subway to Northern PG County, East Columbia, Fort Meade, Anne Arundel Mills and BWI Airport.

So not only that you don't like the fact that they are building the National Harbor in PG County, but you are jealous of the fact that there would be attractions that will lure Northern Virginians to Maryland when for years you people have enjoyed the increase revenue in Northern Virinia from the Maryland folx that traveled there to work at the high tech IT companies and shop at Pentagon City and Tyson's Corner Malls.

You are not slick.

Its nothing you can say that can change the fact that you don't want PG County to out do Northern Virginia's economic, revenue, retail, Employment, and Business Growth.

You know good and well that it is Extremely hard to do an infill project in the already developed ares in Montgomery and PG Counties due to the politically organized anti-Urban NIMBY special Interest Groups. If iut was sooo easy to do an infill project then why haven't they build the proposed Mixed Use Development at Greenbelt Metro Station that at one time included a planned Macy's and Nordstroms.

http://www.ccric.org/WashP-2001Jul3.html

http://www.ccric.org/GazetteGB070501.htm

I have always lauded Maryland as a leader in smart growth. I laud Montgomery County (especially Doug Duncan) for attempting to steer development to Rockville in an attempt to control suburban sprawl.

Yeah supporting corruptionist democratic politicians that has an agenda of tricking and scaring Maryland voters and tax payers into believing that Upscale Development, Highway Building, Employment Growth, and Upscale Retail is wrong while Northeren Virginia continues to grow and be label as the Employment/Business/Economic/Revenue Meca Engine of the Mid-Atlantic.

This is the type of development that should be encouraged not the type of sprawl that is happening in Loudoun County! There I criticized a NOVA community.

Your not funny and I ain't laughing. All you did was admit that Loudon County is growing rapidly and you don't want any parts of Maryland to mirror anything positive about Loudon County and any other part of Northern Virginia. The record still shows that you have not said anything negative about the rapid growth in Northern Virginia but continue to have a problem with any kind of Rapoid Growth in Maryland that will mirror any part of Northern Virginia.

So you want MD 210 to become like Route 7 or 1?

Not with the same volume with traffic but the same volume of Development.

I am suggesting since PG County is just now really becoming a development player in this region that they have the opportunity to learn from the mistakes that other communities have made.

The economic development chief for PG County said the exact same thing this weekend on channel 4.

Post a link of that story from the NBC website?

Again your not funny.

You can not say that you like the new development that is occuring in Reston, Tysons Corner, Arlington, and other parts of Northern Virginia but at the sametime calling them mistakes, its either you support the rapid development in Northern Virginia or you hate the rapid development in Northern Virginia like yoiu do with Maryland.

Very good example of being contridictive.

I think without proper infrastructure that National Harbor is a mistake, but I really hope that I am wrong. If the traffic nightmare does not come to fruition than I most definately would love to visit the development and spend money there.

Your right, you are completely wrong for making bad remarks about the project well before it is built out completely. You had your mind set that youwere not going to support the National Harbor because of its location being in Maryland and not Virginia. The bad traffic that you are spewing is not going to be as bad as other areas like Tyson's Corner, Reston, and Arlington because there are already different roads that are 4, 6, 8, and 12(future) Lanes plus several Bus Routes and future subway extention to the National Harbor will make the area more attractive.

Oh really now.

You don't like the National Harbor because it is not in Virginia. Tyson's Corner, Reston, Chantilly, Dulles, Sterling, Ashburn, Centerville, and Dale City is not Transit oriented but that does not stop you folx from supporting more develpment in those areas. Sure Tyson's and Reston may soon have a metro subway, but there is also a right-away path for a future subway extention to the National Harbor and they are planning to Extend the Green line subway to Northern PG County, East Columbia, Fort Meade, Anne Arundel Mills and BWI Airport.

"So not only that you don't like the fact that they are building the National Harbor in PG County, but you are jealous of the fact that there would be attractions that will lure Northern Virginians to Maryland when for years you people have enjoyed the increase revenue in Northern Virinia from the Maryland folx that traveled there to work at the high tech IT companies and shop at Pentagon City and Tyson's Corner Malls."

Who are talking about "you" I am a 6 year resident of the District of Columbia. Either you believe me or not I am very very happy for Prince Georges County finally getting the respect they so rightly deserve. I love the Bowie Town Center, the new development at the old Capital Center, the plans for transit oriented developement around the New Carrolton metro. I have been to the Bowie Town Center before and enjoyed myself.

You are not slick.

Its nothing you can say that can change the fact that you don't want PG County to out do Northern Virginia's economic, revenue, retail, Employment, and Business Growth.

You know good and well that it is Extremely hard to do an infill project in the already developed ares in Montgomery and PG Counties due to the politically organized anti-Urban NIMBY special Interest Groups. If iut was sooo easy to do an infill project then why haven't they build the proposed Mixed Use Development at Greenbelt Metro Station that at one time included a planned Macy's and Nordstroms.

http://www.ccric.org/WashP-2001Jul3.html

http://www.ccric.org/GazetteGB070501.htm

Yeah supporting corruptionist democratic politicians that has an agenda of tricking and scaring Maryland voters and tax payers into believing that Upscale Development, Highway Building, Employment Growth, and Upscale Retail is wrong while Northeren Virginia continues to grow and be label as the Employment/Business/Economic/Revenue Meca Engine of the Mid-Atlantic."

Your not funny and I ain't laughing. All you did was admit that Loudon County is growing rapidly and you don't want any parts of Maryland to mirror anything positive about Loudon County and any other part of Northern Virginia. The record still shows that you have not said anything negative about the rapid growth in Northern Virginia but continue to have a problem with any kind of Rapoid Growth in Maryland that will mirror any part of Northern Virginia.

I would be more in favor of it if it were in Tyson's Corner, Reston, Rockville, Bethesda, Landover, Greenbelt, New Carrolton all of these areas either will have or already have metro stops and more than one way to reach them. I would never visit if this thing was in Chantilly, Dulles, Sterling, Centerville, or Dale City each without much mass transit choices.

Well all I can say is you are wrong! I don't give one whit whether you believe me or not. I hope we foster regionalism not one area "outdoing" another. I really hope PG County reaches for the stars and gives NOVA a run for its money so to speak.

I never said it was easy, I just said it is the type of development that I would support. Montgomery and PG are not alone when it comes to community opposition. Fairfax is having a heck of a time convincing NIMBY's that the TOD that they want to develop around the Vienna Station is a good idea.

I would be more in favor of it if it were in Tyson's Corner, Reston, Rockville, Bethesda, Landover, Greenbelt, New Carrolton all of these areas either will have or already have metro stops and more than one way to reach them. I would never visit if this thing was in Chantilly, Dulles, Sterling, Centerville, or Dale City each without much mass transit choices.

I have not idea what you are talking about. All I am saying is that I give Doug Duncan high marks for trying to steer development towards established areas. I like the Strathmore and other developments that he help steer towards Rockville.

I honestly think that Loudon is a mess! I was greatly disappointed that they decided to open up the western part of the county to dense development. Having seen this part of the county I hope to god that they do not over develop it. I am a great believer in density, but I also like the idea of preserving open space which once again I give Montgomery County high marks for doing with their agricultural reserve. Yes I do have a problem with uncontrolled growth in Maryland and NOVA. Since we are supposedly one area with an already strained highway system I encourage both Maryland and Virginia leaders to look at smart growth and new urbanism alternatives.

One more thing watch the personal attacks! I have not attacked you personally at all!

Archived