National Harbor/Gaylord National

urbanvb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought once I read that there will be a water taxi service connecting the DC SW Waterfront and the National Harbor project. Has anyone heard anything else about this proposal. It was part of DC Government's Anacostia Redevelopment plans.

I haven't heard about this recently. I'm sure it's still a go. Generally the city and area want to utilize the water more. I've heard plans with bridges and water taxis and parks. I think the water taxi thing for the Anacostia Redevelopment is different than Natl. Harbor which I thought they were dealing with. Either way we need to utilize the rivers more.

• 7 months later...

National Harbor Hopes Restaurants Will Attract Visitors and Tenants

The developers of National Harbor are banking on well known restaurants to attract visitors and tenants to the proposed mix of shops, hotels and condos. While I agree that attracting well established restaurants is a good business decision, I still wonder about the viability of this project. Good transportation options are essential if this project is to be a success. Visitors are not going to want to be marooned in an area without transit. I have heard very little about plans to make this area accessible by any other means than the automobile. Has anyone heard anything more about proposed transit options?

The Washington Post

National Harbor Hopes Restaurants Will Attract Visitors and Tenants

The developers of National Harbor are banking on well known restaurants to attract visitors and tenants to the proposed mix of shops, hotels and condos. While I agree that attracting well established restaurants is a good business decision, I still wonder about the viability of this project. Good transportation options are essential if this project is to be a success. Visitors are not going to want to be marooned in an area without transit. I have heard very little about plans to make this area accessible by any other means than the automobile. Has anyone heard anything more about proposed transit options?

The Washington Post

Wyndham to Build Timeshare Property at National Harbor

Wyndham Vacation Ownership intends to build a 250 unit timeshare property at National Harbor. This is another piece in the puzzle, but it will be interesting to see how this project fares when one considers its distance from the city. I suppose it will be somewhat convenient to BWI, though Reagan airport might need to be connected via water shuttle.

Hotel News Resource

Alexandria Frets Over Possible Impact of National Harbor

The historic core of Old Town Alexandria sits just across the Potomac from National Harbor. While many business owners and the city salivate over the prospect of increased business, rents and property taxes, others are worried that the huge project will bring many unwelcome changes to the area. Visions of fudge shops, t-shirt shops and the like are looming large in the minds of those who care for this vibrant, yet fragile, area. The city hopes to have a master plan developed quickly to mitigate the effects of National Harbor and to channel the hordes of tourists in a positive direction. Will it be a success? Stay tuned...

The Washington Post

Wyndham to Build Timeshare Property at National Harbor

Wyndham Vacation Ownership intends to build a 250 unit timeshare property at National Harbor. This is another piece in the puzzle, but it will be interesting to see how this project fares when one considers its distance from the city. I suppose it will be somewhat convenient to BWI, though Reagan airport might need to be connected via water shuttle.

Hotel News Resource

I haven't heard of another Wyndham timeshare property in the DC area except for this one and the one in Alexandria. That said, there could well be one under the radar, so to speak. I may go over to Alexandria today to have a look. It's been a while since I have been to Old Town. I'll post something if I find out any info on another Wyndham project.

Officials announce water taxis from Alexandria to National Harbor

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) -- Officials from both sides of the Potomac River heralded a new transportation option Tuesday: water taxis between Alexandria and Prince George's County.

The Potomac Riverboat Co. plans to put two 99-passenger boats into service to connect Old Town Alexandria and National Harbor, the waterfront convention and entertainment destination under construction on the Maryland side.

• 2 weeks later...

Milt Peterson, the Man Behind the Project

Milt Peterson is intent upon building a project for the ages, or so he would like to think. The article below includes tantalizing glimpses of the development now rising on the muddy banks of the Potomac River in Prince George's County. As I have said before, this is all very well and good, but I'd hate to see energy siphoned off from the city itself. Will this be a drain or an additional draw? I'm hoping for the latter, but time will tell.

The Washington Post

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like the offices will open up April 2008 ( http://www.nationalharbor.com/Business/Office-Spaces.aspx ), the 1 million sq ft of retail space rolls in over a period of years: http://www.nationalharbor.com/Business/Retail/Future.aspx (good photo of the master site plan), and I couldn't find opening dates for the residential - but at the prices they're charging, it'll be interesting to see how much they incorporate themselves into the surrounding community infrastructure. I'm from Gwynn Park, and I really can't imagine someone who can spend 500,000 on a penthouse then sending their kids to Oxen Hill High. But who would live in this place who had high school aged kids to begin with? They would live completely outside of the existing culture/community of riverfront PG County.

I'm not a huge fan of these Disneyland-ish developments. They seem to have a track-record of being unsustainable - look at Waterfront. It collapsed not even 10 years after construction ended - and it's just now redeveloping - 40 years later.

As for the transportation issues - it's a good point. I-295 and the Wilson bridge are already jam-packed. You listen to the afternoon traffic report on the radio, and she's always talking about it jamming from St Barnabas Road to Rt 1. And it won't see a Metro for 10 years or more.

Does PG County need the development - yes. Does it need a Disney-enclave? I vote no. But eh - it's there, I stare at it everyday.

• 3 weeks later...

Gaylord to Gobble Up Local Convention Market?

A few Washingtin hoteliers fear that the 2000 room Gaylord National Hotel will consume too much of a limited convention market. While this will undoubtedly be true in the short term, I think the long-term picture will be much brighter for Washington. The IMF and World Bank have been talking for ages about holding their meetings at a more secure location. This should come as no great suprise to anyone. There should be ample business for everyone.

The Washington Post

• 4 weeks later...

I really loathe the design of this development, they absolutely could have been more creative, its been done before on a similar scale and budget. I just hope that they redesign buildings from their original renderings like they do in many of these large-scale phase-based developments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Gaylord National to Employ Over 2000

The Gaylord National Hotel at National Harbor is expected to employ over 2000 people when it opens later this spring. I fully expect it to shake up the convention market in town, though the overall effect should be good for the city. I will be interested to see if transportation links are addressed. Boats to and from the Alexandria waterfront are a good start, but this will need to be connected with downtown Washington in some way. I don't think the Metro will be convenient. PErhaps shuttles can be used to and from the nearest Metro stations.

The Washington Post

• 3 months later...

Gaylord National Harbor Edges Toward Opening Day

The Gaylord National Harbor is expected to open near the end of April. So far, the shops and restaurants are being announced slowly. I expect there has been so small difficulty in attracting retail tenants other than those with extremely deep pockets. While this is an impressive project, I'm surprised at the rates the hotel is attempting to charge- a check on their website reveals little below $300 per night- not exactly on par with the neighborhood. These rates are in direct competition with Washington hotels. The project looks nice, but I wonder how it will work in some ways. Thoughts?

The Washington Post

Archived