National Harbor/Gaylord National

urbanvb

Nanovirus?

The news of a possible nanovirus at the newly opened Gaylord National can hardly be welcome. About 15 visitors who attended a medical conference at the resort fell ill yesterday afternoon at National Airport. Whatever the reason for the virus, this can't be great news for the newly opened complex. Given it's strong bookings for the season, I doubt this will have much of an impact.

The Washington Post

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be a lesson learned about why hotels often have a "soft" opening. I would like to think that most hotels would do their extermination program ahead of time so that their guests wouldn't have to suffer through such things. I understand that the hotel had to comp a number of rooms due to the mouse situation.

• 2 weeks later...
This should be a lesson learned about why hotels often have a "soft" opening. I would like to think that most hotels would do their extermination program ahead of time so that their guests wouldn't have to suffer through such things. I understand that the hotel had to comp a number of rooms due to the mouse situation.

• 4 months later...

I went to the "American Market" down there two weekends ago. Aside from it being kind of hard to get to because of all the construction that is happening, it was kind of nice. It is very contrived though. You can tell just by looking at the very deliberate mix of vendors. It was far more craftsy than farmers markety and I doubt i'll go again until it gets bigger. But it sure was a pretty place to kind of wander around...I would go to a conference there! I'd love to live there--it would be a much easier commute than Springfield to College Park every day.

I just learned about this development not too long ago, and it's good to see quality development like this in Prince Georges County which gives the residents of this relatively underserved county more options in shopping, dining, entertainment, and recreation. I've liked what I've seen thus far.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It would make sense for the Purple Line to be at National Harbor. The complex is decidedly out of the way at pesent. Other than occasional buses from Union Station and ferries from Alexandria, there has been relatively little thought to connecting this development to the city. It is possible to think that the city might not want it connected, or vice versa.

It would make sense for the Purple Line to be at National Harbor. The complex is decidedly out of the way at pesent. Other than occasional buses from Union Station and ferries from Alexandria, there has been relatively little thought to connecting this development to the city. It is possible to think that the city might not want it connected, or vice versa.

There is a bus service of some kind from Union Station and I think there is ferry service from the Alexandria waterfront. My biggest complaint with the Gaylord National Hotel is that it's wildly expensive- at least comparatively so. I really don't want to spend $300.00+ a night to stay there. The hotel does seem to be doing well, though.

Archived