Lakewood Athens project

sanka

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good!

I think this is a great idea. As a former Bulldawg............Gooooooooooooooooooo Dawgs!!!, I think this is a great step forward for the city of Athens. I have always had a fondness for Athens. Even my first year of college (when you are forced to stay in a dorm on campus :sick: ) I found the walk from the dorms to downtown Athen's amenities were a breeze. I love the midrise development going on in downtown. This development will definitely enhance to living experience in the Athens area.

It's going to be on the eastside(mostly bigbox/strip suburban or rural farther out), which is slowly gaining a handful of mixed-use urbanesque developments. One is complete, and there are 3 or 4 in the works, which is interesting to see.

the planning commission in Athens seems to be doing a good job overall. I wish Barnett Shoals was not so wide. That road is really weird...its been 5 lanes for as long as i can remember when there was nothing out there! I guess they were planning on expantion...anyway, there are some developments across the street that would benefit with pedistrian crossings, but 5 lanes is tuff.

The only thing the site seems to be missing is oppertunity for civic stuff. A church or something along the sort...it does have a marina it looks like though.

The site looks to be making great connections to the surrounding communities...I wonder what that will do to the home values!

This is indeed an interesting project. I find the location to be positive. It's closer to the University and downtown than it may appear at first glance. Oddly, this part of town has been skipped over for many years. Keep in mind that there are numerous large, established neighborhoods (Cedar Creek and Green Acres) further out than this. And with the introduction of the rails to trails project, it would be very conceivable to bike to downtown or UGA from this location.

btw, this section of Barnett Shoals was widened from 2 lanes in the early to mid 90's, not that long ago.

Archived