California Transplants in Florida?

hustle4alivin

Here in the Bay Area, it seems like I've met quite a few California transplants down here in the last year or so. Of course, their numbers are fewer than all the people from Ohio and Michigan and New York that seem to move here, but there have been enough to be noticeable. I'm originally from San Diego, but I lived in Misssissippi for 9 years, so I identify with being a southerner moreso nowadays than being a "California Boy"

I've also heard that Orlando has the highest concentration of transplanted Californians in the Southeast, partly due to Disney and Universal.

Am I the only one who notices this, or have other Floridians noticed this?

I think the main reasons for relocation is that Florida has a lower cost of living than California (housing prices, taxes, etc.), and it offers more or less a similar lifestyle, climate (except for the summers) and culture. Also, there have been some corporate relocations, and in Palm Beach County, the proposed location of Scripps, which could bring quite a few transplants here from Southern California.

If any UP members out there transplanted here from California, what was your motivation for moving to Florida? Do you find it comparable or different. Of course, northern Florida will definitely be different from the southern parts. I'm talking about people who relocated to Tampa Bay, Orlando, SW FL, or South Florida.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, CA is like FL in that it has different regions with different climates and environments. All of CA is not JUST like ORlando south, hopefully this is not an excuse to exclude the rest of the state. San Francisco isn't like sunny San Diego. Besides, northern FL has even lower prices than the rest of the state, so why wouldn't Californians mover there as well. Here in the Jax area, we also have sunny beachy "New FL" areas like Ponte Vedra with big houses and palm trees.

IMO Florida and California are nothing alike politically or socially....while South FL comes close, it's still is more conservative than CA. And YES I know CA has conservative pockets like Orange County, SD and the Inland Empire, but as a whole it's way more liberal.

I agree with ya panther Florida and California are totally different in some counterparts but socially and economically also traffic wise we're similar lol.....but yes simms3 the Jacksonville area is nice but I guess Californians still consider north florida Hicktown even tho it's starting to change rapidly. Personally, I have many friends at school that have moved here from San Diego, L.A, The O.C, and San Fran! But yes Florida and Cali r totally different we don't even have cliffs, nice surfing, or mountains plus that arid effect in weather so yes....cali n florida r totally different

I'm not trying to offend anyone, and if I did, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to exclude Northern Florida. I used to go to Pensacola Beach and Ft. Walton Beach all the time as a kid, and I loved the area. I was the most curious about SoCal transplants to SoFlo, because the regions are similar (but nowhere near the same at all) because I'm from SoCal myself. That's all. I should've been more specific.

• 3 weeks later...

I moved to Orlando from the San Francisco Bay Area. To Californians, Florida can be tempting since there is a much lower cost of living, your job experience and education typically go alot farther here (there's less competition), you're tired of the rat race, you want to have a more kid-friendly environment, live in a place that still has "customer service" in the stores, etc. The culture shock can be a bit much for a place like Orlando, but reminds me of other places around California (like Sacramento). Plus, there's no snow here... but there is way too much humidity.

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved to Orlando from Los Angeles and I didn't realize that it was going to be such a huge culture shock. There still seems to be a huge economic and social divide between the races, urban sprawl is out of control, it is hard to find entertainment that isn't tourist based, and Wal Mart supercenters are as abundant in Orlando as Starbucks is in LA. There are advantages (homes are more affordable here and people are nicer), but it is taking some time to get used to.

I just moved to Orlando from Los Angeles and I didn't realize that it was going to be such a huge culture shock. There still seems to be a huge economic and social divide between the races, urban sprawl is out of control, it is hard to find entertainment that isn't tourist based, and Wal Mart supercenters are as abundant in Orlando as Starbucks is in LA. There are advantages (homes are more affordable here and people are nicer), but it is taking some time to get used to.

Huh??? No economic or social divide in LA??? Ever visited South Central LA??? I lived in Bellflower for a short time. That area is now mostly Asian or Latino and is right next to Compton and Watts which are almost entirely Black. Talk about racially divided. Nothing in Orlando approaches this type of division even in the most economically depressed areas.

About urban Sprawl... LA invented it. Orlando is unfortunately making many of the same mistakes, but again no where near the level of LA. I don't get the love of Walmart, but it does seem as if Orlando has more than it's share. That may be why Orange County passed a temporary ban on bix box stores until at least the end of the year. On the entertainment aspect... There's no way to compare LA with Orlando. LA's size and population just blow away Orlando. With that size comes many more types of entertainment.

Gotta chime in.

LA is the size of FLORIDA.

Non-tourist entertainment venues? What kind of entertainment, exactly? Popular spots are: Winter Park Village, Park Ave. & New England, Colonial TOwne Park (Lake Mary), downtown Orlando & Thornton Park, Dr. Phillips area off of Sand Lake Rd., Millennia, College Park, Colonial Drive bars/Little Saigon, and every Mall with restaurants and bars nearby, etc.

There's also Barnie's Coffee's that are more abundant than Wal-Mart (as Barnie's is HQ'd in Orlando); there's also tons of Starbuck's, Einstein's Bagel's, and other coffe shops, etc...

Wal-Mart and Target are doing battle for marketshare with the decline of K-Mart and the like. But big-box supercenters first made their big splash in Texas, if I'm not mistaken, over 15 years ago. If you go to Michigan or Illinois, all you see is Meijer's. Ohio has Acme and Big-K. So, Orlando has Wal-Mart, Target, Sam's, BJ's, and Cosco. At least you get a good selection (such as it is).

the only thing I see regarding the racial eco. and social divide is the amount of downtown homeless-- and they are mostly white. City Hall actually has plans for historic black neighborhoods to revitalize them.

Archived