City magazine

I realize we have the Independent, which I really think is cut above as far as a weekly. Isn't it time though that we get a real city magazine that comes out every month...like the Washingtonian or Boston? Charlotte has one, and I think it represents the area pretty well. As for the Metro magazine...that's ridiculous..looks like Southern Living or something. We need something that focuses just on the Triangle, and makes it look like the growing, prosperous place it is. Thoughts? I just think it's silly that an area that's approaching 2 million doesn't have this yet.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize we have the Independent, which I really think is cut above as far as a weekly. Isn't it time though that we get a real city magazine that comes out every month...like the Washingtonian or Boston? Charlotte has one, and I think it represents the area pretty well. As for the Metro magazine...that's ridiculous..looks like Southern Living or something. We need something that focuses just on the Triangle, and makes it look like the growing, prosperous place it is. Thoughts? I just think it's silly that an area that's approaching 2 million doesn't have this yet.

I agree that Metro is not great, but don't knock Southern Living, one of America's greatest magazines!!! :shok:

god, i hate metro. it is totally geared toward the republican gated enclaves of north raleigh and cary. sorry if i offend anyone with this, but trust me on it... i am in people's houses all day and the people who subscribe to this magazine are the types who have millions of dollars in the bank, and don't want any of it spent on anything that betters the community in which they live. they might go downtown once a month for the symphony, or to have dinner at the cardinal/capital city clubs, but that's it. it is way too exclusive a magazine to serve this area appropriately. and that bernie reeves... what a rush limbaugh wanna be. I think Raleighing should be made into a real, glossy magazine that will serve the entire population here, not just the boring rich jerks. (maybe i shouldn't get on the computer at 7 am anymore, i seem to really let it all out hahah)

Check out RALEIGH DOWNTOWNER, it is a new free magazine similar to The Independent. You can find it at a lot of places downtown that also carry The Independent. It is fairly thin since it is just starting up, but has lots of articles on downtown development, restaurants, bars, housing, arts, entertainment, etc. Here's the website:

http://www.raleighdowntowner.com/

Metro, and to a lesser extent, Raleigh "Downtowner" (written and published from North Raleigh) cherry pick articles that appeal to their advertisers, mostly real estate agents and high end stores. They are successful because money talks and tells them what to do. The city produced shows on RTN 10 have good intentions, but are nothing to be proud of either.

Spectator failed because it was a arts weekly that really didn't like the arts community, and the feeling was mutual. Other publications like Lather and Hatchet seem to come and go because they're too full of themselves to be bothered to cover what's actually going on downtown.

I hoped something would come of Urban Raleigh, but the website www.urbanraleigh.com, hasn't been updated since last June. I created the Yahoo group for it, but it has been dead lately.

It is really hard to get people to buy an ad in a new publication, and even harder to foot the bills yourself till it takes off. Every now and then I think about some photocopied zine, but those get quickly thrown away.

The podcast idea keeps coming back every now and then, something like a Raleigh version of "This American Life", but I don't know if I can pull it off by myself....

I agree that Metro is not great, but don't knock Southern Living, one of America's greatest magazines!!! :shok:

I didn't mean to knock Southern Living...I like that magazine. It's just very suburban in it's nature, which is what I meant by comparing Metro to SL. I would like to see something glossy that looks urban in nature...it doesn't just have to be Raleigh. They could call it "Triangle" or "Triangle Monthly". It would have listings of "insider" news on new developments and things going on in the city. They would list "Best Doctors in the Triangle", etc. Maybe it profiles a newcomer who has big plans for our downtown. They could hit Franklin Street, and profile new late-night destinations or something.

Part of Metro's problem is that they also cater to Wilmington...not sure I understand where Raleigh and Wilmington come together for one magazine. Other than the fact that the coast isn't too far from here.

The Independant is a Durham Newspaper. We need an equivalent that's based in Raleigh.

The only thing Durham about the Independent is they're headquartered here. I'd say their coverage of the Triangle is balanced throughout the three major towns (perhaps not enough Durham material). For instance, take a look at the '8 Days a Week' spreads. Week in and week out, most of the events listed are in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. This week none were Durham events. Perhaps more goes on in the those places than in Durham, but if it were a Durham paper, wouldn't we see a lot less Raleigh and CH?

If Raleigh's going to get its own magazine, I think we can all agree it's got to be grittier and more urban than SL or Metro - and it should focus only on "inside the beltline" issues, events, people, etc. That would be pretty awesome, plus it might help the urban core and nearby neighborhoods form an identity.

I can count on one hand the number of articles in the Independent that portray Raleigh in a positive light in the last month or so. The only two Raleigh "writers" Geary and Eichenberger plop out their "too cool for Raleigh" schtik and the Indy calls that and some music listings "coverage".

Hatchet is looking for people with "a sense of humor" which is ok for what they want, but is not a "serious publication." Same thing with Urban Hiker, etc.

I would like to do something like this, but know I don't have the means to pull it off.

Seriously it would be sweet to get "Raleighing" into a printed format

Wow, thanks a lot!

I would love to see Raleighing in print, but I think we'd probably lose a lot in the translation. First of all, our news would be old news by the time it made it through the printing and distribution process. Secondly, we'd have to sell ads to pay for the dang thing which then would probably mean we would have to stop being openly opinionated. How do you write a bad review of a restaurant who buys a full page ad and enables you to actually get the magazine out the door this month?

So, my worry would be that we'd become too late and too watered down. But hey, maybe I'd get even more libel threats... they're always a lot of fun!

Thanks again though and thanks for reading!

Chris

Raleighing or something like it would be cool. The articles would just have to be bit more in depth. The website could still be used as an open forum for opinions. That would be great. I would work for free. Journalism would be my future career if i wasn't studing engineering. Maybe I'll be in/on Raleighing one day. That would be awesome.

Archived