PHOTOS: WaterFire | Providence

Cotuit

WaterFire, Barnaby Evans' award winning fire sculpture installation on the three rivers in downtown Providence, has been praised by Rhode Island residents and international visitors alike as a powerful work of art and a moving symbol of Providence's renaissance.

Waterfire003.jpg

WaterFire centers on a series of 100 bonfires that blaze just above the surface of the three rivers that pass through the middle of downtown Providence. The string of fires illuminates nearly two-thirds of a mile of urban public spaces and parks, and residents and visitors gather to stroll along the river while listening to a memorable and eclectic selection of classical and world music that serves as a melodic accompaniment to the normal sounds of urban life. The fires are tended from sunset to past midnight by black-clad performers in boats who pass quietly before the flames. There are no admission charges to WaterFire.

WaterFire is an experience that surrounds viewers on all sides and impacts all five senses. The crackling flames, the fragrant scent of blazing cedar and pine, the flickering firelight on the arched bridges, the silhouettes of the firetenders floating by in their torch-lit vessels, and the extraordinary music from around the world engage all of the senses and evoke unique emotions from the many thousands who come to stroll along the river walks. WaterFire has captured the imagination of hundreds of thousands of people, transforming downtown Providence and enlivening the nights of the state's capital city.

Waterfire004.jpg

2004 Schedule*

Dates | Sunset | Sponsored in part by

Saturday, May 8, 2004 | 7:51 PM | Textron, Inc.

Saturday, May 29, 2004 | 8:12 PM | Providence Place

Friday, June 4, 2004 | 8:16 PM | HD West

Sunday, June 20, 2004 | 8:24 PM | Rhode Island College

Saturday, July 3, 2004 | 8:24 PM | Open MRI of New England

Tuesday, July 13, 2004 | partial lighting

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 | 8:15 PM | The Providence Journal Company

Saturday, August 14, 2004 | 7:28 PM | Fidelity Investments

Saturday, August 28, 2004 | 7:26 PM | MetLife Auto & Home

Saturday, September 11, 2004 | 7:03 PM | CVS/pharmacy Downtown 5K

*More dates expected to be announced

WaterFire Website

Waterfire001.jpg

Waterfire002.jpg

Waterfire005.jpg

Waterfire006.jpg

Waterfire007.jpg

Waterfire008.jpg

Waterfire009.jpg

Waterfire010.jpg

Images from waterfire.com.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanna see that

Pretty neat, eh? For some reason there aren't many people in a lot of these pictures. But all the WaterFires I've been to have been packed. Thousands of people flood Waterplace Park to see it. In front of the Turks Head Building they set up an outdoor ballroom. There are street performers. Near RISD there is an outdoor beer and wine bar and cafe set up on a closed street. When my mom saw it she said, and I quote, "This is what makes life worth living." Quite an endorsement.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Waterfire. Near the RISD lower campus, theres always this lady on stilts, dressed in a wedding gown and with a white powdered face. She does weird "animatron" style movements when you talk to her, keeping her face perfectly expressionless.

I love Waterfire. Near the RISD lower campus, theres always this lady on stilts, dressed in a wedding gown and with a white powdered face. She does weird "animatron" style movements when you talk to her, keeping her face perfectly expressionless.

Lately they've had human gargoyles at the War Memorial as well. Freaks some people out when they start moving.

• 2 months later...

My camera is not really up to the task of taking night shots. A new camera is on my long list of things to buy. If I get a new camera by the end of the summer I'll post more pics, until then these will have to do.

WaterFire001.jpg

WaterFire002.jpg

WaterFire003.jpg

WaterFire004.jpg

WaterFire005.jpg

WaterFire006.jpg

WaterFire007.jpg

WaterFire008.jpg

WaterFire009.jpg

WaterFire010.jpg

WaterFire011.jpg

WaterFire012.jpg