Will SC ever adopt auto emissions regulations?

krazeeboi

Do you think SC will initiate auto emissions regulations?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote

• yes
    • no

We were talking about the effects of urbanization on biodiversity in class yesterday, and one point that was brought up was SC not having any regulations as far as automobile emissions goes. So do you guys think that we will ever adopt them? Why or why not?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we don't enact auto emission regulation. I think that is a matter for Congress to take up, not the states. California's auto-emissions regulations have had a HUGE impact on the cost of gas across the nation. The costs associated with one states regulations, should not be passed on to out of state residents.

We used to have emissions inspections, but as I understand it, they were ineffective. It proably would be a good idea, but somehow I don't see it happenning anytime soon.

I don't think SC ever had emissions inspections, just safety inspections where they would check lights, the horn, turn signals, etc. The safety inspection requirement was repealed in 1995 or 1996...I don't completely understand why, but I think there was a perception that they weren't doing much good.

Personally, I think that it would be a good thing for SC to adopt auto emissions standards and inspections...with the rapid growth (and sprawl) of the state's metro areas, the pollution problems are only going to get worse. Emissions inspections won't solve the pollution problem completely, but I don't see why that won't be a good start.

OK...that said, do I think that SC will actually adopt emissions standards? Judging from what I've read about the current political climate in the state, I'm lead to believe that such standards won't be adopted anytime soon.

It's interesing. Charlotte is choking in smog an as a result we have to pay $30/year for an emissions inspection. Yet just across the line in York or Lancaster, they don't have to do this. Maybe NC ought to put a toll booth at the SC border and hit up everyone coming into Mecklenburg with a high tax.

It's interesing. Charlotte is choking in smog an as a result we have to pay $30/year for an emissions inspection. Yet just across the line in York or Lancaster, they don't have to do this. Maybe NC ought to put a toll booth at the SC border and hit up everyone coming into Mecklenburg with a high tax.

Remember the talk of putting a toll on I-485 to generate more $$$? :P

You'd see the same outcome from your proposal :)

From what I've heard, Charlotte and the State of North Carolina are planning to sue the State of South Carolina over York County not having emissions inspection. Charlotte is threatend year after year by the Feds over air quality. They plan to cut off the funds if the metro area doesn't clean up its air. York is part of the Charlotte MSA (and I can guarantee that Lancaster Co will join pretty soon). York's gonna have to pay up.

I don't think SC ever had emissions inspections, just safety inspections where they would check lights, the horn, turn signals, etc. The safety inspection requirement was repealed in 1995 or 1996...I don't completely understand why, but I think there was a perception that they weren't doing much good.

Personally, I think that it would be a good thing for SC to adopt auto emissions standards and inspections...with the rapid growth (and sprawl) of the state's metro areas, the pollution problems are only going to get worse. Emissions inspections won't solve the pollution problem completely, but I don't see why that won't be a good start.

OK...that said, do I think that SC will actually adopt emissions standards? Judging from what I've read about the current political climate in the state, I'm lead to believe that such standards won't be adopted anytime soon.

You are right. But, I think that we will reinstate safety inspections and begin emission inspections. So I am going to change my vote to yes. Why? Well, we have a high death rate per road mile in SC. It may be due to balding tires and poor vehicle conditions, or it may be due to poor road conditions (there is some debate over that) but either way, its not good. The safety inspectinos were repealed because they were unproffitable to the businessess that inspected the cars (they were like $3). The only way they could make money was to get you to change your lights or tires or something. The perception was that they were ripping off the customer. Whether that is true or not, I can't say for sure.

As for emissions, the Upstate is nearing non-attainment for federal air quality standards, and the leaders in the Upstate are not taking it as seriously as they should. When this happens (and I am certain it will) there will be a push to do something about it by the Upstate as a step to remedy the situation. Columbia is heading in the same direction, though it is not as bad... yet.

I say give it a few more years.

I heard that on Channel 4 the other day that the General Assembly was discussing the possibility of reinstating saftey inspections.

You are right. But, I think that we will reinstate safety inspections and begin emission inspections. So I am going to change my vote to yes. Why? Well, we have a high death rate per road mile in SC. It may be due to balding tires and poor vehicle conditions, or it may be due to poor road conditions (there is some debate over that) but either way, its not good. The safety inspectinos were repealed because they were unproffitable to the businessess that inspected the cars (they were like $3). The only way they could make money was to get you to change your lights or tires or something. The perception was that they were ripping off the customer. Whether that is true or not, I can't say for sure.

As for emissions, the Upstate is nearing non-attainment for federal air quality standards, and the leaders in the Upstate are not taking it as seriously as they should. When this happens (and I am certain it will) there will be a push to do something about it by the Upstate as a step to remedy the situation. Columbia is heading in the same direction, though it is not as bad... yet.

I say give it a few more years.

I heard that on Channel 4 the other day that the General Assembly was discussing the possibility of reinstating saftey inspections.

Spartan, I hope that you're right and I'm wrong on whether or not SC will adopt emissions testing (and reinstate safety inspections). Only $3.00 for safety inspections?? :blink: Sheesh, no wonder businesses thought them unprofitable...

In Texas, the cost of our annual inspections is $12.50 (I don't know how long it's been at that level, but no doubt it's likely more "profitable" than $3.00); plus, the required emissions testing (which have become very strict--I think as strict as California's emission requirements) tacks on another $27.00 for a total annual cost of about $40.00. While that's not chump change for most people, I consider it as just part of the cost of the priviledge to drive...a small price to pay to help reduce pollution and keep you and others safe. Anyone know how much safety and emissions inspections cost in NC and/or GA?

Anyway, all that to say that it probably wouldn't hurt to raise the inspection fee above $3.00 if they get reinstated in SC.

Regarding non-attainment for federal air quality standards, I've been hearing for years that the Upstate has been headed in that direction. The leaders there need to do something NOW rather than later...emissions testing would be a good start. I know that people will gripe about the added cost (and "what if my car fails, etc.?"), but again, it's a small price to pay to do our part to keep the roads safe and the air "safe" to breathe.

Is the General Assembly actually discussing reinstating safety inspections? Perhaps the state's taking this a little more seriously than I thought... :thumbsup:

I think safety inspections in NC are like $10 or so.

Actually, the GSP metro is technically in non-attainment for particulate matter (there are a multitude of categories... ozone, etc). The leaders are saying that the monitor was in a bad place, reciving too much pollution off of one or two stacks. The fact is though, that two separate monitors, on in Greenville, and the other in Spartanburg, have the same reading level. The EPA is giving us the benefit of the doubt, so they are looking into it right now. But I have a feeling it wont matter. At best it will delay the process 10 years. I hope that we get non-attainment status so that the Upstate will finally start doing something about it.

I'll try to look for some info on the proposed bill soon. I'm kind of interested to know the details.

It's $30 in any county that does the emissions test.

Is that $30 on top of what you'd pay for the emissions test (i.e., you'd pay $30 for the safety inspection plus whatever you'd pay for the emissions inspection), or is $30 the total for the safety and emissions inspections combined?

Archived