DC and Baltimore Area Mass Transit/Transportation

DC is a victim of governance by the Federal government which is responsible for the city's budget. Members of the Senate care little about DC beyond their own facilities and townhomes. It only makes sense, DC has no members of Congress, so citizens are not represented and there is nobody to fight for the city's needs.

DC is a victim of governance by the Federal government which is responsible for the city's budget. Members of the Senate care little about DC beyond their own facilities and townhomes. It only makes sense, DC has no members of Congress, so citizens are not represented and there is nobody to fight for the city's needs.

Yeah they do. DC, and all of the territories have representation there. They have a voice on committees and things like that. They don't have a vote, and that is the problem. The legislation that they work on can be amended or thrown out in the official vote, and there isn't anything they can do about it.

The Metro carrys bout 3x the number of passengers/day as Marta. 

You can see why too- compare that DC Metro Map to a MARTA map:

DC_metro.jpg

new_railmap.jpg

The MARTA system looks much more anemic. If MARTA would bulid more rail, more people might ride it. However, if more people would ride it, they might build more.

There are always people using MARTA when I've been there, but certainly not to DC's extent.

Guest donaltopablo

Yeah, MARTA lacks regional support which is why it's construction is so much smaller. MARTA only has financial support from two counties in the metro area (of 26 currently).

DCs and MARTAs trains are very similar. DC density over Atlanta and far more extensive system is very beneficial. Atlanta's system is pretty basic.

I loved the Metro back when my family lived in the DC area. I remember being on the train everytime we'd go into the city when I was a kid. We even used it once for a school field trip!

After a 12 year hiatus, I took a MARC train from Baltimore to DC (or thereabouts) during a visit in 2000. That was the last time, I'm overdue for another ride. :)

Actually one problem we kept having with the D.C. metro was not having enough places to park. The nearest station to our friend's house (where we stayed) is the Vienna/Fairfax station, and every day we had to drive around for at least 15 minutes looking for a parking place. It was so bad - there were so many cars just driving around the two parking garages and massive parking lots looking for spaces. We just kept following people to their cars until we found someone who was leaving. One day it took us an hour to find a spot! It would've been faster to drive where we were going, but there isn't much in the way of parking downtown, since most of the spaces are reserved for government employees.