DC and Baltimore Area Mass Transit/Transportation

Disabled Transit Accidents Increase

Driver Turnover Cited as a Factor

MetroAccess, the troubled curb-to-curb service for the disabled, is confronting a new problem: accidents.

The service recorded almost three times as many accidents from July 2005 to June compared with the same period the previous year, Metro officials said yesterday.

story

Another 'transit-oriented' development slated for region

Baltimore Business Journal - 2:41 PM EDT Mondayby Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed

A team of developers including the Bozzuto Group of Greenbelt has been selected to redevelop 24 acres of state- and Anne Arundel County-owned land at the Odenton MARC Station.

The $150 million mixed-use development will include a hotel, more than 500 apartments and condominiums and two parking garages for MARC Station commuters.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltimore...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

It just keeps getting better for B-more. :thumbsup:

Metro Extension To Dulles Delayed

State Says Schedule Pushed Back a Year

The months-long debate over whether to build a Metrorail extension to Dulles International Airport below ground through Tysons Corner has pushed the construction schedule back about a year, state officials said yesterday.

Subway construction probably won't begin until late next year or early 2008, said officials of the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation. It was supposed to start early next year, prompting some Fairfax County supervisors to question whether the state's management of the project was also to blame.

Poll Shows Support for Tax Increase

N.Va. Favors Fund For Transportation

A large majority of Northern Virginia residents want the state to spend more money to fix the region's roads and rails, and more than three-quarters say they wanted the opportunity to raise local taxes to do it, a new Washington Post poll shows.

Beltway Toll Plan May Need Va. Funds

Rising Costs Strain Private Partners

A privately backed plan to build express toll lanes on the Virginia portion of the Capital Beltway, which was promoted as a way to ease traffic without using taxpayer money, has become so expensive that the firms behind the project could require more than $100 million in public funds to make it work, according to state transportation officials.

False Alarm Over Project Delays

Studies for Purple Line, Shady Grove-Clarksburg Link on Track

Angry e-mails flew. Transit activists cried foul. Montgomery County politicians said they were alarmed and wanted answers.

Word spread over the weekend that studies of two proposed transit projects aimed at easing traffic in the Maryland suburbs -- a Metro Purple Line and a transit link between Shady Grove and Clarksburg -- would be delayed at least two years.

At Dulles and National, The Wait Gets Worse

TSA Official Worries About Holiday Crowds

Security lines have grown at two Washington area airports and at others across the country in recent weeks, prompting federal officials to seek new ways to reduce logjams during the holiday travel season.

My recent experience at Reagan and BWI has been much better than I had expected. Then again, I usually fly out of DC on Tuesday mornings so the security lines aren't as bad as they would be on Monday mornings. On Tuesday at about 5:15 AM, it took me about 15 minutes or less to get through the line.

Edited by tombarnes

hey this sounds pretty neat.

Web Lets Riders See Train Times From Afar

Tired of rushing to the Metro station only to see your train pulling away and the platform sign saying the next one is in 12 minutes? Good news.

Riders will now be able to find out when trains are arriving at stations before hoofing it to the platform. A new Metro technology provides real-time information on computers and Web-enabled wireless devices, such as BlackBerries and cellphones.

• 4 weeks later...

A $2.10 hike? Wow, that's a bit much. According to my Metro card (I still have an active one from my visit back in July, LOL), one trip is about $1.40, and one morning my trip was during the latter part of rush hour. Man, that might be enough to deter me from using the Metro during rush hour when I visit. That would be a pity, since I love that thing.

All aboard

Wireless Internet headed for a MARC train near you

Baltimore Business Journal - December 22, 2006by Stephanie WentworthStaff

Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed

Story Images

Jeffrey A. Schraeder sees his weekly trip on the MARC train as a waste of time.

When Schraeder treks from Baltimore to Washington, D.C., he answers e-mails on his Blackberry and totes work-related reading materials. The once-weekly trip isn't enough for Schraeder to justify buying a wireless Internet card that could cost $60 to $120. But having the ability to use the Internet would make the trip much more productive for the managing director of ConvergentWorks LLC, a Baltimore tech company.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltimore...7022800^1393680

• 3 weeks later...