DC and Baltimore Area Mass Transit/Transportation

Maryland Outines Plan for Expanded MARC Service

An ambitious 30 year plan is being introduced today which could see the expansion of MARC rail service across the Potomac into northern Virginia. Other expansions will bring MARC service north to Newark, Delaware. Plans also call for additional trains on existing lines and service to L'Enfant Plaza and other Metro tations which will ease congetion at Union Station and also at Metro Center. WHile this is a great plan, I haven't seen the specifics- particularly the funding- yet.

The Washington Post

Regarding the late night service that the Metro offers on weekends, I'm sure that some late night workers use it the service too, but it mainly targets the drinkers and bar-goers, and that's why it runs until 3 am, the time that bars and clubs shut down on weekends, right? By that logic then, have there ever been any proposals to run the Metro until 2 am on weekdays, because that's the time that bars and clubs shut down on weekdays, am i correct? I'm sure that the rationale against that is that it would be too expensive, but it would make sense too I think.

I wouldn't see a need to do it during the week. The major bar nights are Fridays and Saturdays. I'm not sure how big D.C. is with "Thirsty Thursday", any college students here know? But the rest of the week, I can imagine being slower and not worthy of expanded Metro service.

For those of you unfamiliar, Thursday is a major college drinking night. I know here it's big because many of the schools here are small, in rural areas, and have significant residential populations who go home on weekends and therefore drink like crazy Thursday night. Or maybe it's big all over at all schools, I just know what I know here.

To judge from the noise generated from the area of GWU, I would guess that drinking on Thursday nights is popular in Washington. I would agree that it is possibly unnecessary to extend Metro hours during the week, but it would do wonders for Washington's emergence into something other than a government town.

• 2 weeks later...

Fairfax Candidate Threatens to Scuttle Dulles Rail if Not "Done Right"

Gary Baise, a Republican candidate for the Fairfax Board of Supervisors, threatens to derail the Dulles extension if it isn't put undergroundat Tysons Corner. While I prefer the underground rail idea at Tysons, I dont see it happening. I would rather that the rail line be built to Dulles as expediently as possible. Far, far too much time and moneyt have been wasted in the battle to get this built. Get it finished. Oh wait...we have to get it started first...

The Washington Post

Well I finally did it.

I took the metro train and bus from D.C. to Baltimore during rush hour.

I left from New York Ave station on the Red Line at 2:30 pm and got to my destination in Northeast Baltimore by bus at 5:40 pm.

A little over 3 hours. Damn!!!

The longest part of the trip was waiting for and riding the bus from the terminus station, the Greenbelt Station, on the Green Line up to BWI-Marshall, this took a good 80 minutes. Once the bus got to 295 BaltWash Parkway it was moving, but just to slow obviously because it was rush hour.

When I got to BWI-Marshall Airport, I had to get a new ticket, an all day pass. I got on the light rail terminus for Baltimore's system, which had us waiting for a good 20 minutes until it left, because we had to wait for the other train to come before my train left. Surprisingly, the light rail got us to Camden Yards which is essentially downtown Bmore in about 20 minutes, even though its like 8 stops in between. I got to my stop at Cold Springs Rd light rail station in about 40 minutes from the airport. I've always been a critic of light rail as to slow, which compared to heavy rail it is, but I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be even with more stops. The bus trip from Cold Springs light rail station to my destination in Northeast Bmore took about 30 minutes, again because of rush hour.

The trip back to D.C. took 2 hours and 10 minutes.

Mapquest says that by car under the optimal conditions it should take 1 hour and 5 minutes to go from D.C. to Northeast Bmore, which is 45 miles.

So my impression is this is that, the system is good, but in order for people to really want to make D.C. and Bmore completely integrated is for that GREEN LINE EXTENSION to BWI to get underway. There would have been no waiting for the bus or waiting in traffic on 295 if the extenstion was available. Thats a lot more cars off the road potentially, and more room for better TODs at the extentsion's stops. Of course, I know this is obvious logic, but actually experiencing using mass transit to go from D.C. to Bmore was kinda mind numbing. I can drive from D.C. to Bmore in a lil less time than that during rush hour....usually. I know there is Amtrak and MARC too which would have been a hell of a lot quicker, but when you consider all the people that are coming to the area between Bmore and DC in the coming years, it stands that a Green Line extension is so necessary.

Also, there needs to be a light rail or heavy rail train route into Northeast Bmore, which I believe is on the drawing board. Those two things would have reduced my trip time enormously.

BTW.....round trip was $13.

Edited by urbanaturalist

Wow. That sounds like quite an ordeal. I usually take the MARC train to Baltimore or to Odenton. To get to BWI, I usually take the train or possibly SuperShuttle. I completely agree that Baltimore and Washington could be served by better transportation options. On weekends, the MARC trains don't run at all which just leaves Amtrak- or a very expensive taxi ride (about $75.00 or so). Getting the Green Line extended to Baltimore would be even beter than getting the MARC extended to Newark, Delaware (on the drawing boards now).

That's interesting. I've never used to BWI to fly into DC (only used Reagan once--the area is so close I usually drive), so I'm not familiar with specifics here, but knowing how close the two cities are, that's a trip there. Ideally, DC and Baltimore should be connected by high speed rail.

It makes a lot of sense to connect the two cities. The areas are so close that one would have thought the area might have been used as a guinea pig for this type of system. Of course, right-of-way issues may have played a role in the absence of a link, but over all it appears to be a general lack of interest in the powers that be. The Bush administration has been actively anti-rail. Other administrations have been passively anti-rail. The bottom line is that nothing serious has been done yet. The D.C. Baltimore Maglev Project was an effort, but I have heard nothing at all about this recently. Your point about all of these lovely little town centers is a good one. Town centers are nice enough, but are meaningless if people simply pile into their SUVs to reach them. In that way, they are little different from a mall anywhere. Without good public transportation links and a public willing to use them, this might as well be North Dakota. I reiterate that I hope to see some of the new projects breaking the mold somehow, but I haven't seen it yet.

• 2 months later...

Metro Considers New Cars

The Washington Metro's board of directors is considering a proposal which would bring new high-tech cars into service by 2013. If they are to make a decision, it would have to be relatively soon, as the cars will have to be designed, built and tested for at least a year before they could be put into service. We should also know the future of the proposed Metro extension to Dulles Airport in about a month. The new cars would have cloth covered seats, no carpet and would also include monitors offering news and station information.

The Washington Post

Its great to see an update to the extremely dated-looking cars, although do they really have to use the "vomit motion" upholestry? They should've taken a look at the interior design of some of the new light rail cars in charlotte or phoenix, those look very fresh and contemporary. It would also help to improve the image of metro for a new generation of riders...

With any luck, the upholstery will not be what is in the picture. I agree that the wrong seat covers could ruin an otherwise good design. What I notice mostly is the number of seats- considerably fewer seats are in the new cars which will result in many more passengers having to stand. While this increases capacity, it results in a considerably more unpleasant ride during the rush hours.

Even with Fed's lack of funding, work has begun on relocating utilities in Tyson's Corner:

From Urbantrekker:

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Utility Work Has Started

Get ready for the traffic nightmare around Tysons Corner! Though, the funding from the Fed is not here yet. But, constructions for utility relocation has already started.

First thing first. Before going the constructions work for Dulles Corridor Metrorail project, they would relocate utility along the service roads on Route 7 and Route 123 and the Dulles Toll road. During the construction work, which will take from a short 4 months for Washington Gas to 24 months for other utility companies to complete the work, traffic will be diverted.

Via email.

* Washington Gas has started working in the service road south of Leesburg Pike in front of 'Business Bank' and moving east towards Route 123.

* Short sections of one lane of the service road will be closed as work requires and traffic will be eastbound only in that section. The work lane will be reopen after construction is completed. Access to all business will be open.

Dulles_utility_work

One of two lanes will be closed during part of overnight hours. However, it will back to service after 5 am.

Here are the project improvements coming on the pipeline.

* Removing utilities underground,

* Sidewalk added on both sides,

* Widening Route 7 to four lanes in each direction,

* Dual left turns at Tyco, Spring Hill and Gosnell West Park intersections

* Pedestrian bridges across Rt. 7 and 123.

For more info, you can log in to their website www.dullesmetro.com or call 703-572-0500.

• 5 weeks later...

I want to see this up and going as soon as possible, but I don't see the harm in allowing re-bidding on this project. Bechtel's estimates seem inordinately high to me, but I will be the first to admit that I can't offer a suitable estimate. That the previous bidding was done behind closed doors without public input leads me to believe that re-bidding would be prudent.

• 1 month later...