DC and Baltimore Area Mass Transit/Transportation

Feds Finally Get on Board With Rail Plan for Dulles

The federal government reversed its earlier position today and announced support of the plans for a rail line to Dulles Airport. I never quite understood the earlier decision in January and can only hope that this will not continue to be a political football. It is imperative that rail service should reach Dulles and the western suburbs sooner rather than later.

The Washington Post

Feds Finally Get on Board With Rail Plan for Dulles

The federal government reversed its earlier position today and announced support of the plans for a rail line to Dulles Airport. I never quite understood the earlier decision in January and can only hope that this will not continue to be a political football. It is imperative that rail service should reach Dulles and the western suburbs sooner rather than later.

The Washington Post

Done over at GGW this is a cool rendering and would be awesome if all the transit would be added. Talk about taking a lot of cars off the road. The map is a drawing of all the proposed transit and how it would connect, it goes from Virginia up to Baltimore and has a bunch of the stuff in-between.

multimodal2blarge.png

• 3 months later...

From what I have heard, construction may begin in Tyson's Corner, but as you say, we shall have to see it before believing that it will actually come to pass. For the sake of the region, I hope this is consummated quickly. it will be a long road in any event, but this is a vital step toward the integration of Tyson's Corner into the region at large. I remain guardedly hopeful.

From what I have heard, construction may begin in Tyson's Corner, but as you say, we shall have to see it before believing that it will actually come to pass. For the sake of the region, I hope this is consummated quickly. it will be a long road in any event, but this is a vital step toward the integration of Tyson's Corner into the region at large. I remain guardedly hopeful.

• 3 months later...

Gallery Place Escalator Goes Into Reverse

One of the 30 escalators at the Gallery Place Metro station went into reverse this morning, causing minor injuries to at least two people. This is not the first time this has happened. The escalators may be turnbed off completely during the inauguration. The District clearly needs to invest more in the aging infrastructure of the Metro system. Unfortunately, the money for this is not readily available. It's clearly more popular to give money to Detroit right now.

The Washington Post

• 1 month later...

Montgomery County Supports Light Rail Option for Purple Line

In an important vote today, the Montgomery County Planning Commission supported the light-rail option for the Purple Line. the alternative to light-rail is a system of rapid buses which might be operated with overhead electric lines. This system, if implemented, would connect Chevy Chase, Siver Spring and Prince George's County. Some controversy has developed over the placement of the light-rail line along a popular walking trail as well as encroachment upon the grounds of a country club. The loss of a walking trail is unfortunate, but it is to the greater good of the community at large. I should think that Governor O'Malley would support the rail option also.

The Washington Post

Montgomery County Supports Light Rail Option for Purple Line

In an important vote today, the Montgomery County Planning Commission supported the light-rail option for the Purple Line. the alternative to light-rail is a system of rapid buses which might be operated with overhead electric lines. This system, if implemented, would connect Chevy Chase, Siver Spring and Prince George's County. Some controversy has developed over the placement of the light-rail line along a popular walking trail as well as encroachment upon the grounds of a country club. The loss of a walking trail is unfortunate, but it is to the greater good of the community at large. I should think that Governor O'Malley would support the rail option also.

The Washington Post

Edited by skylinefan

• 2 weeks later...
Well first off, we need an economic stimulus that doesn't cater towards giving banks, loan companies, and car companies free money. Once we get the attention turned towards transit, then we might see the Purple Line come to the front. I'm hoping a Silver Line tunnel through Tysons as well. Maybe now with the Bush and Co. out of the way, they can do what is right.

• 1 month later...

Dulles Rail Line Construction WILL Begin Soon.....

Believe it or not, construction of the rail link to Dulles Airport will vegin in a few weeks. of course, the line will only get to Reston by 2013 and thence to Dulles by about 2015. I'm just glad to see that this badly needed project has finally begun.

The Washington Post

• 1 month later...

The District's much-anticipated streetcar project is running behind schedule, pushing plans to run a red-and-gray trolley in Anacostia from late this year to sometime in 2012, officials said.

The demonstration project is part of an ambitious plan to create a billion-dollar network of streetcars and rapid buses in the District in the next two decades. The city bought three streetcars more than two years ago for $10 million. But the cars have been in storage in the Czech Republic as construction of the line has been delayed while officials have debated where the Anacostia segment should run.

GR2009040200079.gif

I certainly want a streetcar system built here. I would question, however, the ultimate wisdom of building the first segments where they have chosen to build them. It's all very well and good to build them in Anacostia, but it is essential to build streetcars in other areas as well. I haven't seen much of a comprehensive plan- at least not yet.

• 1 month later...

Per the article: "The initial Anacostia segment was chosen because it was an easy route to work out inevitable bugs in the system and because Anacostia was among the last communities to get Metrorail, officials said." That latter reason was one that came to mind as a possibility before even re-reading the article.

• 1 month later...

By now, I'm sure every heard about the Metro accident--the deadliest in Metro history--that claimed the lives of nine passengers. Very, very sad. This points to the need of funding, not just for transit establishment and expansion, but maintenance as well. The train that plowed into the other was recommended for replacement, but Metro officials said it was just too expensive to do so.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Looks like the Maglev trains have been in the plans for almost ten years with the Washington-Baltimore being the first phase!thumbsup.gif This will be ran by a JR Central(privately run company was state owned) in Japan.

Bloomberg News

http://www.bloomberg...id=aUUwWmGhR.OA

Times from one city to another

http://www.bwmaglev....ernCorridor.htm

Maglev Route

http://www.bwmaglev....ractivemap.html

Bloomberg News Video

http://www.bloomberg...YHHAt4vFoGc.asf

Metro construction of the silver line in Northern Virginia around Tysons Corner is hindering business in the area. Seems to me they should have thought about this before construction started!

The first phase of the new silver line subway is scheduled to open in 2013! Phase 2 is scheduled to open 2016 to IAD and Loundon County!shades.gif

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/15/AR2010051503001.html

http://www.dullesmetro.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...