DC and Baltimore Area Mass Transit/Transportation

Y'all left off another possible Metrorail extension along the Anacostia River. This will be the first rail extension not to be heavy rail. This article is from LightRailNow.org.

Washington, DC

LRT Plans a Comeback

Washington, DC can be added to the list of cities planning to bring back light rail transit. In mid-September 2002, Metro, the transit authority, unveiled a $12 billion, 10-year plan calling for what the Washington Post called "a spider's web" of LRT trolleys and rapid bus lines around the region, the first time the agency has embraced an aggressive expansion that didn't rely on the relatively expensive subways

• 1 year later...

Discount airline JetBlue announced today that it will add six daily round-trip flights between Boston's Logan International Airport and Dulles International Airport. The flights are expected to begin on January 17, 2006 and airfares should start at $25 one-way.

JetBlue's move comes after discount rival Independence Air's recent filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Independence operates primarily out of Washington, D.C., and it looks like JetBlue is competing for a part of its market share.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do wish that JetBlue would start flying into Reagan Airport. Dulles is extremely inconvenient. Whatever you may have saved on the cheap airfare is obliterated by the expensive taxi fares to and from Dulles. Still, I like JetBlue and any extended service here would be a good thing. Now if we could just run USAir out of town.....

An article in the Post today mentioned a new program designed to encourage riders to board the trains more efficiently. Is it just me, or does this seem fruitless?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5120101955.html

It might be a minor improvement but I doubt it will make a major change. Maybe signs should be posted in the metro to remind riders about proper Metro etiquette. So many people in DC are self centered and do not give a hoot about anyone else. That is the real problem.

Edited by skylinefan

• 2 weeks later...

From the Washington Post...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5121401583.html

I really wanted to see Independence Air flourish. This latest bit of news seems to confirm my suspicions that the airline might not make it through the winter. I'd use them more often if they flew out of National Airport.

Edited by tombarnes

I wonder though is this realistic with the Federal Government's ever increasing budget deficits. In order for maglev to become a reality Baltimore, Washington, Baltimore County, Howard County, PG County and Montgomery County not to mention the state of Maryland will have to pay for the lion share of the project.

Why is it that people don't want to fund rail projects? The interstate highway system would never have been built if we had agonized over its funding the way we do about rail projects. Airports? Never seeems to be a problem here. More highways? Always in the budget. Until there is a sea change in the way people think about rail, I suppose nothing will ever be built. The benefits of rapid rail in densely populated areas should be enough to easily convince the public that we as a country need these projects to go forward- and quickly. If allowed to think of these as optional, the public will lazily continue to ignore them.

Why is it that people don't want to fund rail projects? The interstate highway system would never have been built if we had agonized over its funding the way we do about rail projects. Airports? Never seeems to be a problem here. More highways? Always in the budget. Until there is a sea change in the way people think about rail, I suppose nothing will ever be built. The benefits of rapid rail in densely populated areas should be enough to easily convince the public that we as a country need these projects to go forward- and quickly. If allowed to think of these as optional, the public will lazily continue to ignore them.

I believe that we should fund rail projects and other innovative transportation schemes. The current political environment will not allow for massive projects like this. There is an anti-tax mentality in congress and in the administration that has stifled funding of new technologies and new ways of getting around. If we still had the attitude of the 1950's and 60's we would be moving full steam ahead on new ways to get from point A to point B. If this is what Americans really want we have to be ready to sacrifice for it. Get ready to pull out the checkbook because maglev, highspeed rail, or any other transportation scheme will be really expensive.

The Washingtoin Metropolitan Airports Authority wants to take over the Dulles Toll Road and use the funding to build the Metro rail line to Dulles. WHile the project is scheduled to be completed by 2015, the authority thinks they can get it done faster. I'm all for having it done as quickly as possible. I am sick and tireds of paying riddiculous taxi fares to Dulles. Thoughts anyone?

Note: This might well have gone into one of the Northern Virginia threads, but it affects the DC metropolitan area, so I placed it in this thread.

From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5122000935.html

Edited by tombarnes

I suppose what I'd really like to see is a rapid train from Union Station to Dulles- something like the Gatwick Express. I suppose we shall never see this, but isn't it worth exploring? The maglev project should include Dulles if it ever gets off the ground, so to speak. I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by tombarnes

I suppose what I'd really like to see is a rapid train from Union Station to Dulles- something like the Gatwick Express. I suppose we shall never see this, but isn't it worth exploring? The maglev project should include Dules if it ever gets off the ground, so to speak. I'm not holding my breath.

Correct me if I am wrong and I could be but isn't this stretch or least part of this new corridor supposed to be high speed ?

All that I have heard serious talk about is an extension of the exisiting Metro system above ground to Tysons Corner, Reston and eventually Dulles. If you have evidence of something more, please let me know. That would be fantastic!

Edited by tombarnes

All that I have heard serious talk about is an extension of the exisiting Metro system above ground to Tysons Corner, Reston and eventually Dulles. If you have evidence of something more, please let me know. That would be fantastic!

Ok, let me check on that. I may be wrong but it seems like I read that somewhere.

D.C. Prods Md., Va. to Join in Funding Metro

City's $50 Million Boost Wouldn't Raise Sales Tax

The D.C. Council announced unanimous support yesterday for a plan to dedicate about $50 million a year to Metro, putting pressure on Maryland and Virginia to follow suit. A regional agreement that would create a steady flow of local money to Metro is key to securing federal funds to help fix the aging transit system. Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) has introduced legislation that calls for Congress to give Metro $1.5 billion for capital projects only if the region comes up with dedicated operating funds for Metro.

Washington Post Story

HOT plan would improve I-95 between Spotsylvania, N.Va.

The Virginia Department of Transportation thinks it can make an almost $1 billion deal to speed Interstate 95 traffic between Spotsylvania County and Northern Virginia.

But to travel that distance, many drivers would be paying tolls that could reach $8.40, and tolls could remain on the road for as long as 60 years.

VDOT has decided to start negotiating with the Fluor-Transurban team to finance, design and build 56 miles of high-occupancy toll lanes (HOT) from the Potomac to Massaponax.......

I don't think NOVA will ever get rid of the traffic woes... the more lanes, the more traffic. I guarantee.