Atlanta Skyline Shots

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

DT Atlanta Skyline picture taken from Olympic Park (not mine).

Suntrust tower to the far left, Westin Peachtree Plaza, 191 Peachtree, Georgia Pacific Tower. The 4 tallest buildings in DT Atlanta.

atlanta.jpg

South Facing North

atlanta1.jpg

growth_w.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest donaltopablo

Personally, I kind of like Atlanta's skyline being spread out. It's certainly unique. I do wish there was more in fill (more buildings inbetween). Although there are a lot of 20-30 story buildings coming in between DT and Midtown, there are still gaps that are not filled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice shots!

Atlanta grew fast, its one thing to look at New York or Chicago but Atlanta went from 0 to 60 faster then every city except maybe Vegas. Its a real testament to the civic leaders down there the last 50 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for the photos. I couldn't help but notice that the Building on the far right of this photo is very similar to the Westin Hotel in uptown Charlotte. They're a little different but they are similar.

atlanta1.jpg

na1383ex3_md.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They couldn't have more different uses. They do look alike, but the Atlanta building is the Sam Nunn Federal Building!! Courts, FBI offices, INS, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have any of you who are so impressed with our skyline ever actually gotten off the interstae and walked around DT? If so you would realize our DT is not that impressive. Those tall buildings look great from a distance, but they were built during a time when it was architectuallty in vogue to turn your back on the street and essentially build a verry tall fortress. In my opinion these buildings do far, far more harm to the city then good.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the wonderful view of Midtown Atlanta I have out my window...unfortunatly the very large building on the right blocks my view of Downtown Atlanta.

Panorama.jpg

Here's a close up on the construction status of 1180 Peachtree. It should be finished early next year and when completed will be Atlanta's 10th tallest building at 650 ft and 41 stories.

DSC02145_1.JPG

It'll look like this when its completed:

1180-peachtreeweb.jpg

One reason that Atlanta's skyline is so spread out is that its major skyscraper building phases occurred during or after the construction of the MARTA (subway through the Midtown-Downtown area). The clusters are around the MARTA stations (Arts Center, Midtown, etc.). As was pointed out above, the gaps are filling in slowly but surely, especially in Midtown. Another interesting development is that another cluster or arm of high rises is now being developed as part of the Atlanta Station development (huge brownfield redevelopment of a former steel mill). This is an arm perpendicular to what was a very linear Downtown-Midtown stretch along the north-south streets Spring, West Peachtree, Peachtree, Juniper, and Piedmont. So, the spread-out clustering continues.

It's the NY of the south

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct Statement: Atlanta is the Los Angeles of the East.

Shame on you for insulting New York City! Those Manhattanites are going to impale on the spire of the Chrysler Building and leave you there, to show what happens when one dares to compare the Big Peach to the Almighty Apple. Maybe Miami could be considered the NYC of the South; it has a quality skyline, located on the waterfront and is a very lively/vibrant place (Atlanta seems to go to bed around for a couple of hours each night after 3am). However, Miami is already world-renowed for being itself...

Archived