Urban Design Center

dand65

Dan, welcome to UP-Triangle!

I remember seeing your presentation last year at the Cardinal Club about DT Raleigh projects and was very impressed.  Thanks for coming aboard and answering a few questions.

One piece of the Liveable Streets Plan was developing the pedestrian environment DT.  I happen to LIVE, WORK and PLAY in DT, and I have concerns about pedestrian safety, particularly crossing the busy McDowell and Dawson streets.  When will the city address this need in a broad-based plan?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I work on it every day with every plan I review. Improving the ped experience will also play a major role in the Hargett and Martin Streetscape project. Especially since it will connect downtown's core to the new TTA station in 2008/9. We will also be pursuing a complete downtown pedestrian improvement strategy in next fiscal year's budget.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the urban design center's planning approach and various programs, do you study patterns, and get ideas based on other city's successes and failures?

If so, I'm curious to hear what design concepts have been studied in other downtowns (or your opinion) that would work well in Raleigh, or things we need to avoid?

What about Glen-Tree? Do you think this will come to fruition as the proposed 40+ story building or will appearance commisions/city council/whoever else make them downsize?

Also, I haven't been able to get a great look at the design, but of the pictures I've seen its pretty flashy. What do you think about it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Awesome awesome awesome update! You are amazing and if I ever see you out somewhere I will buy you a beer.

Fantastic report. Thanks for taking the time to type it up and sharing it

My pleasure, it's cool to share the info with others that are equally excited about it. I'll take you up on the beer anytime. Maybe UP can have a get together at some point. I nominate the Flying Saucer whenever Reynolds makes a final annoucement (well, I guess only if it's a good announcement).

The presentation was really great. My write up doesn't even do it justice. Dan has loads of info and facts that he spouted off the whole time. I couldn't remember 1/3 of it when I went to write the synopsis. Plus, all the cool images that were shown.

awesome hope there is more stuff for a 21 year old female to do wihtout blowing thier bank acct!

I also hope to see raleigh become a new hot city and become more directed towards the younger crowd so there would be more for us to do. I havent experinced it much since I am busy working and when i;m at home I go biking and I live in cary and its boring here. Nothing going on.

Great update, thanks for putting that together. I finally checked out the Urban Design Center last week for the first time. I dont know why I never went in before, but I wish I was there for one of these updates. That downtown scale model is cool.

I worked with Cooper Carry for the background photos for the new renderings of the future RBC tower and I'd say the initial changes I noticed that they have made are positive ones. The resemblance to One Progess has been diminished some and...well I'll let them speak for themselves when they are released.

Great update, thanks for putting that together. I finally checked out the Urban Design Center last week for the first time. I dont know why I never went in before, but I wish I was there for one of these updates. That downtown scale model is cool.

I worked with Cooper Carry for the background photos for the new renderings of the future RBC tower and I'd say the initial changes I noticed that they have made are positive ones. The resemblance to One Progess has been diminished some and...well I'll let them speak for themselves when they are released.

Hey, I was checking out your website. Great photos. My sister-in-law lives in Pittsburgh, she's going to love seeing those shots.

I'm curious, what is the ghosted building in this image?

raleigh_skyline_35.jpg

This is pretty cool.

raleighriver2.jpg

Proposed 32 story Reynolds Tower???

The Reynolds Tower will be further west, but it will have similar dimensions. Hopefully it'll be a little taller than the Soleil Center. I'm of the opinion that the tallest building should just be downtown. I guess that makes me a freedom-hating NIMBY.

Any idea of when RBC/city of Raleigh will release them? I would think that if RBC gave the new renderings to the city then they should be public? Available now? :D

Any idea of when RBC/city of Raleigh will release them? I would think that if RBC gave the new renderings to the city then they should be public? Available now? :D

No idea when it will come out. I'm sure RBC wants to be the ones to make the announcement to the media. As with anything, the people in power (city officials, business leaders, boosters, etc) will be the first to see it and sign off on it. Then it will go to the public.

I am going there after work. I won't catch Dan Douglas. But I 'll be able to speak with the other Dan( I spoke with him briefly over the phone. He eased my mine by saying that the RBC Centura and Marriott are still in the review phase inwhich anything can change. The city council did push the Marriott to a sub-comitee after the Feb 21st renderings (more glass). Good news about the CC is that their is no back side of the hotel.

I also heard that the site west of CC which may host events may get a structure as large as the CC. This is still in the conceptual phase though.

I wonder if they will let me take pictures of those renderings to post here for you guys.

Archived