Urban Design Center

dand65

I have gone to the cities, Urban Design site and it tells you where it is but not the hours, days, times? Anybody?

I just made it. They are M-F and typically close at 5:30 pm. I spoke with Doug Hill.

The new Marriott renderings look interesting. THe color of the brick at the streetscape level has changed. There are more windows and now the phone book has a book mark sticking out of the top middle. The outter edges are all gray metal plates. The plates ride the sides up the the roof (still visible from the front) and finally down the bookmark part. It looks better. But...we aren't home yet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just wondering--what is the estimated CURRENT downtown core population? If it's expected to be 10,000 in 4-6 years and 8000-10,000 new residents are expected in that same time period, does that mean that the current DT pop is 2000? And if so, does anyone know how that compares to the DT pop numbers 1 year ago?

Dan said the current downtown population is about 2000. Not sure what that number was a year ago.

Dan said the current downtown population is about 2000. Not sure what that number was a year ago.

Ok thanks--wow!! that is an amazing amount of population growth expected in a very short time period--downtown is going to be a dramatically different place in the very near future....what a great time to be here!

Ok thanks--wow!! that is an amazing amount of population growth expected in a very short time period--downtown is going to be a dramatically different place in the very near future....what a great time to be here!

A huge part of that is the Blount Street redevelopment....I'll have to look for the thread but I want to say something like 2000 housing units were coming from that alone.....correct me if I am wrong folks...much of the rest is planned/proposed/or imagined with projects such as RBC, site 1, 222 Glenwood, Tucker Street, CAM etc. etc.

Edit: Several hundred housing units making room for something close to 2000 residents....the N&O article that had that back in January quoted the DRA as predicting 7500 residents by 2009...guess that number has been revised upwards to 10,000?

A huge part of that is the Blount Street redevelopment....I'll have to look for the thread but I want to say something like 2000 housing units were coming from that alone.....correct me if I am wrong folks...much of the rest is planned/proposed/or imagined with projects such as RBC, site 1, 222 Glenwood, Tucker Street, CAM etc. etc.

I think your Blount Street number is pretty close. I can't remember the exact number but that's close enough. The thing that struck me about Dan's numbers was the fact that he was counting 2 people per unit on average. I don't know if that is realistic, but that's what the UDC uses for their calculations. That seems a little optimistic considering a lot of the units are 1 or 2 bedroom condos. The condo market it typically dominated by young professionals and empty-nesters. Both of which tend to have a lot of singles. The Blount Street project does have a good number of single family residences and townhomes, which will hopefully be occupied by families. It would be a shame if most of the new downtown residents are 21-35 or 55-70. Fortunately, there are lots of families with kids in the surrounding neighborhoods like Boylan Heights, Glenwood-Brooklyn, Oakwood, etc.

Blount St: "... LNR Property, which was tapped by the state to restore 25 homes, some of them historic, and develop up to 495 condominiums, townhouses and single-family homes, and 110,000 square feet of shops and offices on the six-block area fronting Blount Street."

25 homes x 3 per home plus 495 x 2 per home = ~ 1065 ppl just from those 6 blocks alone.

I did a quick check--census bureau from 2000 says that the Wake Co Tract 501, block group 1, bounded by Peace, railroad, Lenior and East, had 1096 residents and 665 households = 1.65 ppl per household. I'm sure if you include Glenwood South and include the last 4-5 years of development its close to 2000 ppl.

link

Blount St: "... LNR Property, which was tapped by the state to restore 25 homes, some of them historic, and develop up to 495 condominiums, townhouses and single-family homes, and 110,000 square feet of shops and offices on the six-block area fronting Blount Street."

25 homes x 3 per home plus 495 x 2 per home = ~ 1065 ppl just from those 6 blocks alone.

I did a quick check--census bureau from 2000 says that the Wake Co Tract 501, block group 1, bounded by Peace, railroad, Lenior and East, had 1096 residents and 665 households = 1.65 ppl per household. I'm sure if you include Glenwood South and include the last 4-5 years of development its close to 2000 ppl.

link

Not all of the homes will be residential. There is talk that some will become restaurants (a la 2nd Empire) or other retail/business use.

isn't it tho? for a guy 4 charlotte, you really are enthusiastic about raleigh. :P

Archived