The Greening of Columbia

digital_sandlapper

Palmettos are nice trees but they provide zero shade. There are much better trees for that purpose. Devine is lined with them :) Greenville has some cool ones too.

There are a couple of Parking lots that coudl be filled in at Assembly and Gervais that would make great pocket parks. There is lots of other space in the Vista that could be used for that very purpose. I agree that Columbia is lacking in that deprtment. I hope that they will plan to improve the situation.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If every parking spot on Assembly was replaced with plantings, it wouldn't impede on traffic. Assembly really divides CBD and Vista too much.

I think the plantings should be a mix of shade trees and palmettos. I think it's important to keep the vegetation lush and tropicalesque looking - easy in this climate. Let the climate help us stand out from the majority of cities that can't grow tropical looking plants.

I think tall palmettos look great in tight places close to buildings like in Charleston, but that they can look a bit clich

Good to hear that USC is planning lots of gardens, squares, and other gathering places in Innovista. I'm not a student, faculty, or staff member--just a private citizen that would love to spend time there if it is planned for. It really will be a jewel for Columbia, this Innovista!

Free Bike Initiative? Cool! Yes, I meant to incorporate bikes, scooters, and other forms of alternate transportation in my earlier posts. Acommodating those to a greater extent is smart, and another "no-brainer"!

Cool stuff, folks. :thumbsup:

For major intersections - it would also be nice to plant roundabouts, complete with a fountain in the middle!

Ok - I'm dreaming, but this is more feasible in Columbia than Atlanta - in the city center the street ROW is much narrower.

Wouldn't that be nice! I've always said that there should be a roundabout around the State House.

Speaking of pocket parks and squares, I've found a site with pictures of Savannah's squares; I had no idea they were so elegant and beautiful. Of course, Columbia can't match up to those, but a start would be nice. ;)

krazeeboi, have you not been to Savannah? :shok: If not, I would encourage you and all folks reading this to visit as a pilgrimage for its awe-inspiring urban design. (Just avoid next weekend, when the craziness of St. Pat's takes over!) Savannah is a textbook model with its squares and street layout. Of course, this was the original design by the founder of the city and of Georgia, Gen. Oglethorpe. He laid out the streets with 24 squares, 21 of which survive. The people of Savannah are justifiably proud of their crown jewels, and vehemently defend them. Since the Colonial era, the street grid was extended for miles and miles, all lined with a gorgeous canopy of trees, "tree lawns" along streets, huge urban parks such as Forsyth and Daffin, and lush shady boulevards such as Liberty, Oglethorpe, Bay, and Victory with their wide, green medians.

Of course, Columbia and other cities already have built upon most of their urban space, and can't implement the squares, etc. HOWEVER, with undeveloped acreage such as the Guignard property that will soon become part of the urban fabric, a great opportunity to incorporate fantastic urban greenspace (and not just the equally important natural greenway/walk along the river) into the design awaits. Also, converting concrete freeways such as Assembly into grand green boulevards can be done. New neighborhoods, even far-flung, can incorporate a grid street system with squares at each intersection (or roundabouts--just so they are pedestrian). Many of the designers of Neo-traditional developments have already jumped on this bandwagon, and adding a Savannah-inspired (or Charleston--though not really--our port city is known for its private gardens more than green thoroughfares and gathering spots for the public) layout in their plans. I would move to such a new development!

Speaking of pocket parks and squares, I've found a site with pictures of Savannah's squares; I had no idea they were so elegant and beautiful. Of course, Columbia can't match up to those, but a start would be nice. ;)

Those pictures remind me of what can be enjoyed on the ground of USC. And Innovista plans to be pedestrians-first with lots of green public gathering places.

I saw Tom Prioreshi (sp) on channel 2 in a city council meeting saying a large public art project with a water feature is going up in Boyd Plaza (museum of art) plaza this year. I hope it does.

I was thinking about this when I read this story in Raleigh's newspaper, News & Observer, about a very bold public art project proposed by a world-reknown Spanish artist in DT Raleigh receiving lots of criticism from the locals. I'm sure nothing like this will be proposed in Boyd Plaza, but it would be nice to see something as modern and head-turning. Big fountains with statues on top are so standard (unless they have some years on them, like the one in Forsyth Park in Savannah), so I would hope that this project would be a tad bit more daring.

Thinking about the future, how feasible do you guys think it will be for Finlay Park to continue to serve as downtown's center city park? I mean it's definitely a jewel in itself, as several other cities of comparable size and even larger don't have an asset like the park. It's 18 acres, which is a nice size, but as the area continues to grow, will it be enough? Should another be planned for the future? Many cities have one large central park, but are there any that may have two or more central parks?

Thinking about the future, how feasible do you guys think it will be for Finlay Park to continue to serve as downtown's center city park? I mean it's definitely a jewel in itself, as several other cities of comparable size and even larger don't have an asset like the park. It's 18 acres, which is a nice size, but as the area continues to grow, will it be enough? Should another be planned for the future? Many cities have one large central park, but are there any that may have two or more central parks?

Hey, krazeeboi, thanks for keeping this string alive. To answer your question, I think we definitely DO need a "central" park of sorts. The perfect place for it is the Innovista, IMO . . .

I envision a large, flat (probably terraced to achieve this), green expanse--mostly grass, with a central promenade, radiating paths with benches, shrub and flower beds, perhaps fountains and/or statuary, an armillary sphere and/or sundial would be nice, and plenty of ornamental specimen trees and shade trees throughout--the whole thing could be an Arboretum. However, the grass should be EXTENSIVE. This would encourage not just passive use such as picnicking and enjoying the sunshine, but also some active use such as frisbee or football throwing and the like. This central park would be surrounded by important, architecturally substantial and impressive structures (USC's research campus facilities). Classical architecture should be featured, though modern would be good--a heterogenous mix of styles, just so they don't clash too much. The park could also have kiosks for infomation, a map of the campus/city, or for small restrooms and/or concessions. The whole thing would be a gathering spot for EVERYONE--and a boon for USC.

It could/should be a city/University partnership, of course, cutting a green swath from USC/downtown Columbia all the way to the river and the 3 Rivers Greenway. It harkens back to the Horseshoe--except on a larger, more grand scale, more public, and a true thoroughfare.

With all the benefits of such a space, it's a "no-brainer" to incorporate it, if the space is devoted NOW to it. So USC, please take this opportunity to not only include the greenway along the river with its natural beauty in your Master Plan, but a grand civic space, central to Innovista. One that says that this community is THE place to be!

Digy, could you give us an artistic rendering? I like your proposal. As far as the large central parks are concerned, they typically are not in downtowns, but are usually in midtown type areas (Central Park, Piedmont Park, Rock Creek Park). Earlewood Park is a very large park that may be able to serve that purpose, although it doesn't have a large lawn-type area. Also, MLK Park is a good sized park. BTW, the Gay Pride March is ending in MLK Park instead of Finlay Park this year, with the festival being held there, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh, ooooh! How cool would it be for Columbia to implement something like the Fountain Square Revitalization Plan in Cincinnati!

A rendering:

overhead-r.jpg

Now, where would this go? Hmmmm....

That's cool, krazee. :) There are some empty odd-sized lots downtown that I suppose would work . . .

However, I want to see B-I-G expanses of green, green grass, baby! :D Also, I'm not thrilled with those little paved-over parks surrounded by towers, where a building used to be--save those lots for more towers, right? Those tend to be little used because they are just too passive (read: boring), and become a haven for the homeless. No, we need a park big enough to run a touchdown, or kick a goal, or have your dog catch a Frisbee! Examples: Marion Square in Charleston, Forsyth Park in Savannah. Man, that would just be AWEsome in Columbia, especially in the heart of the new campus. :yahoo:

I think the huge Guignard tract that was just sold to USC (expanding the Innovista) would be perfect. (My earlier posts describe it, but I may not have been clear that I meant the Guignard tract portion of Innovista for this hypothetical park.) It could either run parallel to or perdicular to the river, but not BY the river. That part by the river will be a continuation of the River Walk, and should remain as natural as possible, especially leaving the trees growing on the banks. Overlooks could provide the occasional glimpse of the water as in other parts of the walk (e.g., the Cayce portion.) The huge park I envision would be up from the river, but lead to it, with monumental buildings all around, perhaps an armillary sphere or sundial, sculpture (modern), etc., etc. (see earlier posts . . )

Waccamat, thanks for asking for a rendering of my idea . . . however, I have not one ounce of drafting skill and/or talent! Plus, I am just describing my humble idea here in hopes that someone in USC's Planning Dept. will see it and run with it! (yeah, right . . ) :blush:

^ oops, I meant "perpendicular" . . . :P

Ahhhh, I can more accurately envision what you have in mind now. To be fair, Cincinnati's square is actually being renovated. There are other renderings on the site, and it looks quite nice. It would just be great if Columbia could have something similar to this that would serve as a public square.

Perhaps when the master plan of Innovista is revealed, we'll see something close to the grand expanse of green you're advocating. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Speaking of the State Museum/EdVenture, I need to refresh myself about the Canal Front plans. There's a thread on here about it somewhere. But I agree; I think all of that should have commenced with the building of EdVenture or shortly thereafter. But I believe that project is set to take place in the near future.

Archived