French eatery to leave Lenox for downtown!

Lady Celeste

I could not believe my eyes when I saw this story. Allen Plaza has landed one of Atlanta's best known eateries. This is a major coup for the downtown market. I am utterly amazed.

From the story:

Lenox Square will lose one of its most sophisticated rest stops and tasty treasures this summer. The mall

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like his quote about Atlanta finally becoming a walking city. YES!!

Downtown was actually Atlanta's premier dining spot until fairly recently. When I was in high school the most popular prom destinations were places like the Top O' the Mart and the Sundial in Peachtree Center, and it was really only in the 1970's that Buckhead began to dominate the restaurant scene.

:lol:

Andrea speaks the truth.

Andrea, remember what a big deal the Midnight Sun was when it opened? For those of you too young or not from here, it was designed by Portman, and was in what is now the lower level of Peachtree Center mall. It was the first high-end Scandanavian restaurant in the South, and the then "wow factor" was so great that Denmark made John Portman an honorary Counsel.

Andrea speaks the truth.

Andrea, remember what a big deal the Midnight Sun was when it opened? For those of you too young or not from here, it was designed by Portman, and was in what is now the lower level of Peachtree Center mall. It was the first high-end Scandanavian restaurant in the South, and the then "wow factor" was so great that Denmark made John Portman an honorary Counsel.

I sure do remember that, John. Those were the days when Atlanta was really becoming a big city, and it seemed like the sky was the limit.

• 1 year later...

I am delighted to find someone who remembers the Midnight Sun (albeit from 2006). I took a friend of mine by that spot today, and was trying to describe the bar to him - it was arresting - that radial with alternating light-dark wood. He asked what happened to it. It had never occured to me that it was anything other than demolished - but is it possible that it was stored away somewhere? Does anyone know?

I loved that place - I worked downtown from 1980 to 1986 and went to the Midnight Sun after work at least two days a week; it was very much a favorite afterwork gathering place - their happy hour buffet beat the pants off of the others.

Archived