Siloam Springs

KJW

This isn't that spectacular of news...just more road development in SS.

Its amazing when you're coming in on 412, though...you see all the development in Siloam, then you look north and see way in the distance (actually 10 miles or less away) the big Flint Creek power plant stack in west Gentry...then when you drive up towards it through the Dawn Hill area (a TRUE hidden jewel) past the Adventist Academy you find Siloam and Gentry are pretty much growing together.

I wonder which will grow together first...Bentonville-Siloam (via Vaughn and Highfill) or Siloam-Springdale (via 412). I'd guess the latter but those hills between the two are a natural though not insurmountable barrier...

(Oops, I did it again...moderators, please move to NW Arkansas forum...thanks.)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are without a doubt the first person I've ever heard call Siloam Springs a "jewel".

Aporkalypse,

It looks just like any other small city from 412 and on the south side around the high school. However, from downtown heading north through the city parks, or west on the street to JBU, or south from 412 through those hills by the Dayspring employee center, or (most of all) straight north through the Dawn Hill area...I'd buy a house there and die there and consider myself nothing but blessed.

We looked at putting our small business there when we moved it from Georgia last year. I think it's a very nice little city (now approaching 15,000?).

Aporkalypse,

It looks just like any other small city from 412 and on the south side around the high school. However, from downtown heading north through the city parks, or west on the street to JBU, or south from 412 through those hills by the Dayspring employee center, or (most of all) straight north through the Dawn Hill area...I'd buy a house there and die there and consider myself nothing but blessed.

We looked at putting our small business there when we moved it from Georgia last year. I think it's a very nice little city (now approaching 15,000?).

After a relatively quiet decade, it is finally beginning to boom a bit like the rest of NWA.

There's plenty of new commercial and residential coming online in Siloam Springs over the next 18 months, some that will surprise you.

Trust me. :)

IMHO, its similar to Searcy and Batesville, other small Arkansas towns with small college campuses.

There should be a separate thread in the NWA forum for Siloam as it is still the 5th largest city in the metro.

I haven't heard Siloam referred to as a jewel, but I have heard it described as DNO.

After a relatively quiet decade, it is finally beginning to boom a bit like the rest of NWA.

There's plenty of new commercial and residential coming online in Siloam Springs over the next 18 months, some that will surprise you.

IMHO, its similar to Searcy and Batesville, other small Arkansas towns with small college campuses.

There should be a separate thread in the NWA forum for Siloam as it is still the 5th largest city in the metro.

I haven't heard Siloam referred to as a jewel, but I have heard it described as DNO.

Again.

Either you're pulling our chain or there's something quite significant coming there. (And no, I don't think it's Disney. :)

It was there that the builder making those new homes between SS and the aforementioned Dawn Hill area told me that the banks just keep on financing him, that they've not yet turned him down.

Should be fun to watch...

Siloam Springs does have some nice areas if you take the time and get to know it. It does really get overshadowed a lot by the rest of NWA. It's probably not going to be on a lot of people's list of favorite places in NWA but it's a nice place none the less.

Again.

Either you're pulling our chain or there's something quite significant coming there. (And no, I don't think it's Disney. :)

It was there that the builder making those new homes between SS and the aforementioned Dawn Hill area told me that the banks just keep on financing him, that they've not yet turned him down.

Should be fun to watch...

I'm just privy to some nice retail and rez, nothing more.

Some stuff not in your typical town of 14,000 people.

And, "DNO" stands for "D#@$ Near Oklahoma".

This isn't that spectacular of news...just more road development in SS.

Its amazing when you're coming in on 412, though...you see all the development in Siloam, then you look north and see way in the distance (actually 10 miles or less away) the big Flint Creek power plant stack in west Gentry...then when you drive up towards it through the Dawn Hill area (a TRUE hidden jewel) past the Adventist Academy you find Siloam and Gentry are pretty much growing together.

I wonder which will grow together first...Bentonville-Siloam (via Vaughn and Highfill) or Siloam-Springdale (via 412). I'd guess the latter but those hills between the two are a natural though not insurmountable barrier...

(Oops, I did it again...moderators, please move to NW Arkansas forum...thanks.)

I bet Bentonville-Siloam, since it would seem the Ozark National Forest and terrain would pretty much block development between Siloam and Springdale. Though "growing together" won't happen for a long time. However, once the at least western portion of the 412 Springdale bypass gets built, living in Siloam and commuting to Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville becomes more attractive. As the big 4 become bigger, Siloam might provide a small-town feel with the convinience (20-30 mile drive) to employment opportunities, making it more attractive as well. Interesting question...

I've never really been impressed with Siloam Springs. The only time I bothered going there was to take some Katrina evacuees to the housing authority there which sucked because they didn't know what they were talking about and I ended up having to go all the way to Siloam again the next day for guess what? another wasted trip because again they still didn't know what they were talking about.

I kinda lost interest in Siloam Springs since they stopped airing the "Ahead of Our Times" radio spots with Tommy Chong. :rofl:

It won't be for a while but maybe I'll have to stop by and take some pics. I still have other places I haven't made to yet though. That and I'll be on vacation shortly and I'll also be a little busy taking pics for the American in Bloom competition. But I'll make it over there eventually.

For you who are familar with Siloam, it is a very nice small town. The downtown area with all the parks are very nice and give you the small hometown feeling. It is a great place to raise a family if you want a smaller town but not too small. A lot of people who work in Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville are living in Siloam and driving back and forth. I see it as more of a bedroom community right now, but the developments are really starting to come along. We know some real estate folks in Siloam and they said they are planning on building a Lowes, Dennys and TGI Fridays. I belive they are builing the lowes soon and I really think a Dennys would go good there, however, I personally am not too sure aobut the TGI Fridays.

• 1 month later...

The Lowe's has been confirmed for Siloam Springs, making Lowe's prescence in NWA up to 6!!!!

Walgreens is being built in Siloam Springs as well, along with Popeye's Chicken and Churches.

The popeyes is already open and very good food if I must say so for myself. Do you know where the churches is being built? I haven't seen any construction around town or heard anything about the churches.

The popeyes is already open and very good food if I must say so for myself. Do you know where the churches is being built? I haven't seen any construction around town or heard anything about the churches.

I haven't been a whole lot but I think out of all the fast food chicken places Popeye's would probably be my favorite.

Churchs announced they would put a location in Siloam Springs, but no specific date or site has been selected.

• 4 months later...

^

I wish they would have provided a break-down on all of the racial groups. It's still nice to see a good gain over in Siloam Springs, they are a bed-room community to NWA.

I could be wrong but aside from Hispanics I doubt there's much else, maybe some Native Americans as well. But I don't think it's as diverse as other areas of NWA.

^

What about Hurricane Katrina?

I thought they're were a lot of African Americans living in Siloam Springs because of it.

I could be wrong but I thought a lot of them left that camp and either moved back or moved more into the core of our metro. But as I said I'm really not sure but just the impression I got.

I think I remember reading an article in the Morning News that talked about how they're was around 50 people from Katrina on Red Cross Assistance living in Benton County, and around 350 in Washington County.

All Red Cross and Federal assistance ended somewhere around 5 or 6 months ago. If any Katrina evacuees are in NWA they're not on any kind of evacuee assistance anymore. Many probably moved back home when they realized it's much more expensive to live here. My sister-in-law is still here since her husband was able to find a decent job in hazmat, although they nearly left when their assistance ran out.

All Red Cross and Federal assistance ended somewhere around 5 or 6 months ago. If any Katrina evacuees are in NWA they're not on any kind of evacuee assistance anymore. Many probably moved back home when they realized it's much more expensive to live here. My sister-in-law is still here since her husband was able to find a decent job in hazmat, although they nearly left when their assistance ran out.

Well then I guess the paper was lying because that's the article I read. :D

Well then I guess the paper was lying because that's the article I read. :D

It may be that there are still a percentage of evacuees receiving Red Cross and Federal assistance, but there were thousands of people on Katrina assistance here several months ago. Whether they stayed or moved back I can only speak for my sister-in-law.

Archived