Siloam Springs

KJW

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong but aside from Hispanics I doubt there's much else, maybe some Native Americans as well. But I don't think it's as diverse as other areas of NWA.

When my son and I went to the (nicest in the area, IMO) Siloam Springs public pool this June there appeared to be (India)n, hispanic and african-American kids there. LOTS of hispanics at the W-M.

When my son and I went to the (nicest in the area, IMO) Siloam Springs public pool this June there appeared to be (India)n, hispanic and african-American kids there. LOTS of hispanics at the W-M.

Yeah Hispanics starting moving into Siloam Springs pretty early for this part of the state.

Yeah Hispanics starting moving into Siloam Springs pretty early for this part of the state.

I think that area (Siloam/Gentry) is the center of Arkansas' Hmong Laotian population as well, Mith. The NWA Demo-zette had a special section on the Hmong earlier this year.

I think that area (Siloam/Gentry) is the center of Arkansas' Hmong Laotian population as well, Mith. The NWA Demo-zette had a special section on the Hmong earlier this year.

Interesting, I guess I missed that unfortunately. If anyone has any general info pertaining to that I'd be curious to see it.

I remember that.

The Hmong population is retiring from places like Wisconsin and Minnesota and moving down here to go back to the simplistic ways of life.

Cool, thanks for th link. That's something I haven't heard a lot about. Very interesting, I didn't know we had been attracting that many Hmong.

No problem. There's a number of them in adjacent Delaware County, OK as well.

And as you said, Delaware and Adair Counties in OK (both pretty much adjacent to the Siloam city limits) have had significant American Indian populations for years and apparently still do.

What a group of groups here in the NWA metroplex...

Well there was an article in the Gazette today that talked about all the Katrina evacuees that are living in Siloam Springs. There are still around 100 evacuees living in Siloam Springs alone. I'm not sure about Fayetteville or the rest of NWA, but I've heard that up to 500 are living in the 4-5 city metroplex.

Contrary to the article in the Morning News, this article mentioned that the evacuees love it here, and don't plan on moving back to New Orleans.

Well there was an article in the Gazette today that talked about all the Katrina evacuees that are living in Siloam Springs. There are still around 100 evacuees living in Siloam Springs alone. I'm not sure about Fayetteville or the rest of NWA, but I've heard that up to 500 are living in the 4-5 city metroplex.

Contrary to the article in the Morning News, this article mentioned that the evacuees love it here, and don't plan on moving back to New Orleans.

Here's the article, Matt (thanks)...VERY complimentary of Siloam Springs if you ask me.

I'm almost wondering if the Marshallese government is going to open up a consulate here. I know Little Rock is getting a Mexican Consulate, and I think it would work well in NWA for the growing Marshallese population.

That would be interesting. I'd say the only thing holding it back is whether the country feels it wants to make the effort and spend the money to have one.

Interesting...we've talked about the Marshallese in Arkansas.

Meanwhile, the executive branch of American Samoa's government had a two day seminar at John Brown University's Soderquist ethics center in Siloam Springs.

I realize American Samoa isn't an independent nation in the pacific, but this is neat to know nonetheless.

Very interesting to hear. Would be interesting to establish more of a Polynesian influence outside of the Marshallese as well. Maybe eventually even try to offer some course at the university in Polynesian culture and such.

Siloam Springs is getting a new 6-8 screen movie theatre.

Also, in a different article in the Siloam Herald there's talk about the school district's growth...it looks like SSHS is just larger than Jonesboro High and just smaller than West Memphis High School.

Remembering just a couple of decades ago, that seems unreal...

I wonder if it's going to be stadium seating or not. My guess is no, since there's already going to be (3) 12 Screen Stadium Theatres in Rogers, (1) 12 Screen Stadium Theatre in Fayetteville, and (1) 16 Screen Stadium Theatre in Bentonville.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out from someone I trust that Siloam Springs will be getting a restaurant on the order of Chili's or Ruby Tuesday's.

(FWIW, driving through Pryor, OK recently I saw where they have a Chili's there, so it's only a matter of time before Siloam (about 3 times bigger) does the same.)

Just found out from someone I trust that Siloam Springs will be getting a restaurant on the order of Chili's or Ruby Tuesday's.

(FWIW, driving through Pryor, OK recently I saw where they have a Chili's there, so it's only a matter of time before Siloam (about 3 times bigger) does the same.)

So noone knows for sure if this will be a Chili's or a Ruby Tuesday's or a generic restaurant?

Archived