If you're hosting guests from out of town...

Here's another one of my contests (maybe I'll make it a poll if we can narrow down the selections):

When you have visitors from far away places, what restaurants, hotels, bars, shops, sights and sounds of Grand Rapids do you show them first?

The first place I take people for a meal is San Chez.

Who's next?

ps... feel free to post pix... I'll try to dig up a few myself.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well - I haven't had any visitors lately. Last time I had visitors was about 3 years ago (from Spain).

We took them to the typical suburbia restaurants (hey - what can you expect from a 23 year old guy). We also made a tour of the downtown bar scene. They were looking for typical American bars. A trip to the BOB was involved as well as a stop @ Raggs (shudder).

If I were to do it now - I would start out with dinner @ Beltline Bar for awesome Wet Burritos. I would proceed then DT for a stop @ Cambridge House for an after dinner scotch on the rocks and then next door to Founders for some delicious IPA's.

As far entertainment - maybe catch a Griffin's game or a Whitecaps game.

Really nothing overly 'touristy' around town ... Maybe Meijer Gardens...

Here's another one of my contests (maybe I'll make it a poll if we can narrow down the selections):

When you have visitors from far away places, what restaurants, hotels, bars, shops, sights and sounds of Grand Rapids do you show them first?

Olive Express. (Gosh I sure do miss working downtown)

River bridges, esp the ped one and 6th Street.

Fields Fabric stores. I've made maps for fellow fabri-holics.

Little Bohemia and Riverbank Books. Sit out on Monroe Center and discuss new urbanism. (Seriously, I had pals from Belleville visit, and that's where we went, with a window table at XO restaurant.)

Depending on what major exhibit is in town...family was interested in the big event at Calvin last summer, but couldn't get it together. Maybe this year they'll come see the butterflies with me. (If I could choose new relatives, they would not have video games and big-screen TVs set up in their basement.)

White Pine and Kent Trails.

Zoo.

Rosa Parks during skating or concert season.

Maybe he's talking about a drink...

"I'll have a secret beach, on the rocks." :D

Just drive along the coast you know, all the way up, you'll find em.

No people, no cars, just the best beaches in the world!

(Also remember, that when a road dead ends into the beach, it is public access all the way to the water)

Ive taken lots of people to Griffins and/or Rampage games if they are out of town.

Also took a friend who is in the Air Force to see the new YMCA, and other GR stuff. (He is originally from GR, but has been away for 5 years now)

I haven't been to XO yet, so im not sure on the cuisine, but if its good, and inexpensive enough (Last I heard, it has $6 lunches, which is more then inexpensive enough) I might have to take some people there. Depending on the age of the people I am entertaining also depends on where we go. If they are around my age, we can go to the bars and such, if they are older, then a more formal meeting is usually the case, and if they are younger, well then I'm probably with someone's brat, so I'm guessing McDonald's on Michigan is a good choice :rofl: Although theres no playplace! hmmm might have to go west to the Lake Mi Drive one in Standale.

...Depending on the age of the people I am entertaining also depends on where we go. If they are around my age, we can go to the bars and such, if they are older, then a more formal meeting is usually the case, and if they are younger, well then I'm probably with someone's brat, so I'm guessing McDonald's on Michigan is a good choice :rofl: Although theres no playplace! hmmm might have to go west to the Lake Mi Drive one in Standale.

If I were entertaining Clown-age kiddos, I'd take 'em to one of the three eateries facing the ice rink. But then my visitors tend to prefer local establishments over can-get-'em-anywhere chains.

If I were showing off land uses, we'd have to stop by that mall in Grandville. "What were they thinking???"

If I were entertaining Clown-age kiddos, I'd take 'em to one of the three eateries facing the ice rink. But then my visitors tend to prefer local establishments over can-get-'em-anywhere chains.

If I were showing off land uses, we'd have to stop by that mall in Grandville. "What were they thinking???"

Generally speaking, if its not particularly designed for children, I don't take children into those places, more out of respect for the people who don't want to be disturbed by children while eating there.

Amen to the secret beaches. We are blessed with some of the Word's most beautiful beaches. (Oval beach in Saugatuck was rated in the top ten by Conde Nest.) My wifw and I found a great secret spot just north of Saugatuck by the old mansion there. Pick up the trail and walk about a mile through the woods. while in Saugatuck we visit Taber Hill Winery's tasting room and dinner at the White House.

We visit Holland and eat at the Piper...beautiful drive along Lake Mac.

Grand Haven for the Boarwalk, Pronto Pups and the musical foutains. (Locals think they're xxx but visitors love 'em.)

Definitely SanChez, Bombay Cuisine, Little Africa, Roses on Reeds Lake.

We do as much as we can downtown or near downtown. Coffee at Urban Mill. Breakfast at Cheri In or Wolfgangs.

They stay downtown at the Grand Plaza with drinks at the Cygnus Lounge for the view.

Makes me want to have company.

I was downtown, last night, (I haven't been for awhile) and I just couldn't believe the people all over the place! I felt like I was in Chicago. Granted, I was only in the area around The Bob & the Amway, but Saturday night had a fun atmosphere. When I have people from out of town visiting, I take them to downtown on a Saturday night. :thumbsup:

we usually go to the cascade wal-mart and then eat at the mc donalds by the highway

JK my out of town friends that Ive had to GR are usually really surprised at the size of GR and how nice DT looks, I've taken them to yesterdog and sometimes go to grand haven in the summer

I bring everyone to Meijer Gardens during the day, for a tour of the sculpture park.

In the evening bring them down to San Chez/Mezze for the best dang dining experience in the city. I would also do a wine tasting at Bar Divani.

I really hope the new GRAM turns out nice, I'd like to be proud of that place and bring people there too.

As a former management team member of San Chez Restaurant Inc., I love hearing how it's the place to bring your out-of-towners. Dan Gendler, owner of San Chez Bistro & Mezze was/is a great boss and has done a wonderful job of creating the San Chez culture and experience you all enjoy. When San Chez, A Tapas Bistro opened in 1992, Downtown was nowhere near as vibrant as it is today. I can believe how surprised visitors are when they go Downtown for the first time in five years.

The last out of town guests I had are from Dallas. They made the HUGE mistake of venturing to Rivertown Crossings (on their own) the day after Thanksgiving. I swear, I still haven't heard the end of it 3 years later. Everytime something shopping-related gets brought up in discussion, I always hear "Remember when we went to that mall in Grand Rapids?"

They witnessed a fist fight in the parking lot (over a parking space), 30 minutes to find a spot, lines to get in stores once they were in the mall, "millions" of people, etc. They were beyond shocked.

Those same visitors also had the opportunity of going to Festival of the Arts one year. The comment from that event was, "I have never see so many pierced and tattooed people in one place in my life."

However, not all of my guests have had negative experiences. I've taken guests to Grand Haven/Holland beach, Meijer Gardens, walking downtown, tours of both GVSU campuses, down the whole length of 28th St., Brandywine for beehive potatoes, and to the beautiful countryside around the city.

Archived