If you're hosting guests from out of town...

The last out of town guests I had are from Dallas. They made the HUGE mistake of venturing to Rivertown Crossings (on their own) the day after Thanksgiving. I swear, I still haven't heard the end of it 3 years later. Everytime something shopping-related gets brought up in discussion, I always hear "Remember when we went to that mall in Grand Rapids?"

They witnessed a fist fight in the parking lot (over a parking space), 30 minutes to find a spot, lines to get in stores once they were in the mall, "millions" of people, etc. They were beyond shocked.

Like any mall the day after Thanksgiving is normal . . . .

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on who it is that's visiting. Grandparents like Arnie's. My beau likes Charlie's Crab, The Cottage Bar, Vitale's and San Chez. Everyone seems to love Meijer Gardens. My aunties like Spirit Dreams in Eastown and Rose's. My sister likes to go to things like the Eastown Street Fair or the German Festival. There is something, literally for everyone.

I would take them out to a nice dinner at the Chop House, then take a stroll over to Vandenberg plaza and admire the calder and the way it interacts with the city and county buildings. Historic architecture like that cannot be found anywhere else. :P

:rofl:

Vandenberg plaza and admire the calder and the way it interacts with the city and county buildings. Historic architecture like that cannot be found anywhere else.

You're innuendo is priceless.

In addition to my previous destinations, I would also bring them to the Calder and be all like, "yeah, city hall is boring, but it makes the sculpture look so good... HEY look a swingswing!"

Depending on the season, Griffins or Whitecaps; ice skating or a concert at Rosa Parks Circle.

The lakeshore.

St. Cecilia or Civic.

Yesterdog and San Chez, on the same day.

The new YMCA with a guest pass.

Maybe the GRAM bunker, if they can get it built.

Archived