Wal-Mart at Tom Short & Rea Roads

DigitalSky

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost assumed that Wal-Mart would eventually give up on this area as it seems Targets and Teeters are popping up every two feet in this area and both of those establishments are more inline with the area's demographics. If I'm not mistaken, the average household income in this area is in the 6 figure range, I really don't know why Wal-Mart even wants to bother anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

Is this to the left or the right of the intersection?

I think a World Market over there would be better.

Here it is: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...20square%20feet

That's the proposed site.

And just reported today, the judge has sent the Wal-mart plan back to the Union Co Board of Adjusters

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...t.88b0269b.html

And a new plan that moved the parking lot enterance a little further away from the neighborhood however it would still be connected on that side.

I think it is sad that people actually think that growing cities involve open fields. You can't have it both ways people. You either have businesses and Wal Marts dotting the landscape or you have nothing. If you dont like the busy atmosphere you shouldn't live in Charlotte. There are plenty more cites around Charlotte that will probably remain quiet throughout the years such as Albemarle, Lincolnton, Waxhaw, and Chester, SC. These are examples of cities that will probably never have a population too big. But for someone to want open fields and quiet neighborhoods in Charlotte is just ridiculous. The city is projected to have a 2+ million population in 20 years. Open fields wont be around.

I think it has more to do with Wal-Mart's bullying techniques that people don't like.

A similar incident occurred in Pineville last year. Wal-Mart proposed a supercenter at the interchange of I-485 & S. Blvd. (by the Car Max). Three miles up the road at I-485 & Arrowood there is already a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Too close to one another in my opinion. Pineville city council voted it down.

They don't look to be against commercial development but rather against WalMart type commercial development.

A Wal Mart type? How are they different from a McDonald's? Or a Target? They are all major corporations trying to operate to make the highest profit with the least pay and man hours. I don't see anything wrong with that, sorry.

I think it has more to do with Wal-Mart's bullying techniques that people don't like.

If the VAST majority of people didn't shop there, then they would lose the ability to, as you say "bully" people.

A Wal Mart type? How are they different from a McDonald's? Or a Target? They are all major corporations trying to operate to make the highest profit with the least pay and man hours. I don't see anything wrong with that, sorry.

Yes, but to them where is already one Target up the road directly behind homes and faced no opposition.. that's ok.. because it's TARGET and not Wal-Mart. I wonder if this would be facing opposition if it was just a regular Wal-Mart. (Does Wal-Mart even build regular Wal-Marts anymore?)

If the VAST majority of people didn't shop there, then they would lose the ability to, as you say "bully" people.

I have followed this pretty closely as my parents are from around there. There was (is?) an alternative plan in the works that has small retail, a library, and a police station.

No one wants a Target in their backyard either. People want smaller scale retail, neighborhood retail. Right up the road on Tom Short and Audrey Kell, there is neighborhood retail being built. No one is complaining about that.

As for the Target up the road (Rea Rd.), there is larger buffer than would be between these houses and the Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart has the reputation of breeding crime and making land values plummet. Wal-Marts are run like dumps and start becoming a mess within months of opening (see the WalMart up on 16 by Mt. Isle Lake for an example of this). They certainly don't make good neighbors.

I think the alternative plan is still there... for a "town center" at least for Marvin/Weddington.

These Charlotte mini-communities are becoming popular for some reason, but I want to live at least far enough away from a store where I can have a couple acres, and dont see a Harris Teeter or Target out my front window. For me, having a supermarket or retail store 10 minutes away is close enough. I am not going to buy property or a house just because it is within one mile of a Harris Teeter or Target.

A problem often overlooked is what happens to that Walmart - or any big-box over, say 60K sq. ft., when Walmart decides to close that location and build down the street? I pretty looking Walmart today means nothing when it's a horrific empty building and parking lot later...

In some places, the idea being floated around is that in order to approve these projects the the developers have to contribute to funds that will be used to "fix" a place after the tenants move out; alternatively, require these developments to be built in a way that makes them easier to convert to future uses. For example, limit the amount of square footage allowed for a single floor (where is it written that Walmarts can't be multi-level?), require on street parking, parking behind buildings, maximum parking lot areas, integration of residential into the project, provide connections or the ability to connect in the future to the adjacent street grid.

I know the Murphy family who spearheaded the opposition to this. There's a lot people don't know because it wasn't covered in the media.

To me, Wal-Mart and the zoning board were not forthcoming and tried to weasel every aspect of this proposal. Once the town council learned of this they joined the Murphy's fight. Wal-Mart's history shows its presence doesn't do right by surrounding neighborhoods. The neighborhood would have lost significant home values and quality of life.

Sometimes NIMBY is good when it can swing the pendulem away from corporations and back to the citizens.

I know the Murphy family who spearheaded the opposition to this. There's a lot people don't know because it wasn't covered in the media.

To me, Wal-Mart and the zoning board were not forthcoming and tried to weasel every aspect of this proposal. Once the town council learned of this they joined the Murphy's fight. Wal-Mart's history shows its presence doesn't do right by surrounding neighborhoods. The neighborhood would have lost significant home values and quality of life.

Sometimes NIMBY is good when it can swing the pendulem away from corporations and back to the citizens.

I think it's good that the media is picking this up. Do the Murphy's think they've been able to convince the Town Council to kill the project?

Gray...you know Steven Tyler, do you remember Tom Collins their (old) manager?

I think it's good that the media is picking this up. Do the Murphy's think they've been able to convince the Town Council to kill the project?

Gray...you know Steven Tyler, do you remember Tom Collins their (old) manager?

Yes to your first question. The Murphys moved to the NW a year ago. Since then other neighbors have kept up the momentum.

I had a buddy once who would always jokingly quote famous people by starting, "It's like my good friend (insert famous person's name here) always said, yada yada yada." I co-opted his saying for my quote.

I did party once with Brad Whitford's brother. It was different. He's a hairdresser and he brought his toy poddle to the party. There's a giant print of Steven (backstage during the 70s, cigarette in both hands, razor necklace) hanging over our great room fireplace. It was a gift from my stepdaughter. My dogs are Tyler and Perry. (We're always getting military recruitment letters addressed to "Tyler Perry" since I enrolled them on FastWEB.

I also had an awesome time once with Joe Walsh, I'm told.

To think I'm one of those conservative bankers y'all complain about. :shades:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived