Would you ride lightrail?

Rizzo

Actually costs between the two systems depends upon ridership. If you manage to get ridership up into the 15K or so range, LRT is cheaper than the alternatives and adding additional cars during rush hours or special events isn't much of an issue.

The key to getting people to ride transit, are predictable, reliable and frequent schedules. This isn't a problem with LRT. BRT on the other hand is subject to the same traffic woes that all other forms of road traffic have and as a result don't provide any advantages if for moderate or above ridership. Below that, then it really doesn't seem necessary either as standard bus service can easily move 5K people/day.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually costs between the two systems depends upon ridership. If you manage to get ridership up into the 15K or so range, LRT is cheaper than the alternatives and adding additional cars during rush hours or special events isn't much of an issue.

I agree with that completely. Economies of scale are better for LRT on the high ridership end. Especially if there are multiple lines which would require multiple switch overs to be designed into the system. If it's small system, like the map GRDad has posted where you are looking at two lines with modest ridership, the BRT system most likely will have more flexibilty to allow more ridership and do so at less overhead costs.

So I don't think the ridership numbers are being "fudged" in the report. Get heavier ridership with more lines, however, and I'll get skeptical if the LRT numbers don't start to balance out.

I agree with that completely. Economies of scale are better for LRT on the high ridership end. Especially if there are multiple lines which would require multiple switch overs to be designed into the system. If it's small system, like the map GRDad has posted where you are looking at two lines with modest ridership, the BRT system most likely will have more flexibilty to allow more ridership and do so at less overhead costs.

So I don't think the ridership numbers are being "fudged" in the report. Get heavier ridership with more lines, however, and I'll get skeptical if the LRT numbers don't start to balance out.

Peter Varga is looking at this as investing in the future. The modest numbers quoted are probably being played very conservatively to keep it "real", with the hopes that increased development along the lines and people's changing commuting patterns (if the system is fast, reliable and inexpensive) would increase the ridership.

Fortunately, we have one of the best transit systems in the country as evidenced by the numerous National awards it has won. With good leadership and systems in place, now is the time to take it up a few notches.

Archived