1. 1. Worst traffic, drivers, and highways

• L.A.
    • Houston
    • Atlanta

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd say LA has the worst congestion but Atlanta has the worst drivers. They just go way too fast.

I lived in Houston for many years, and although the congestion's bad and the drivers are a little nutty, it doesn't even come close for bad drivers, even to other TX cities like Dallas and Austin.

I'll agree with Colin on this one. LA does most likely have the worst congestion, but the drivers tend to at least be sane. Atlanta drivers are the worst I have seen and it probably has to do with the fact that many of them commute 50+ miles to work. Have not been to Houston so can't really comment on it.

Contrary to popular belief, I like Atlanta's drivers. When I was little and went downtown with my dad to work sometimes, it was super fun riding 70-80 mph constantly. The thing with Atlanta's drivers is, they might be crazy, but they are also smart. They don't fly down the HWY with reckless abandon. They know how to drive.

I just spent the last 2 weeks in LA on business and have this assessment. Constantly clogged freeways, people weaving in and out of traffic causing people to have to slow down and causing jambs. Wake up and learn how to drive. Its not the indy and you don't have a million dollar race car.

Have only driven in ATL and LA. I drove in LA at night, and during the day the traffic wasn't really that bad, but I have seen what it CAN get like, so it gets my vote. Evening rush hour out of ATL can be bad, but it's not really all THAT bad, at least the times I've been caught in it.

It's kind of hard to judge all three of these categories together....

Worst Traffic: Atlanta probably has the worst, but at least it follows a pattern of sorts. It's only really backed up during the rush hours of the morning and evening. Otherwise, it's fairly easy to drive through them.

Los Angeles, however, also has bad traffic (perhaps not as bad as Atlanta's, though). However, at least to the observations of some people who have been there, it doesn't seem to follow a pattern as much as Atlanta's does. It just seems to back up for no reason at all at times.

Worst Drivers:

Atlanta wins for worst and fastest drivers. If you can't drive at least 70 mph, then get out of the lane!

Worst Highways:

Atlanta's are actually well pretty kept. How about...Los Angeles for this one?

• 3 weeks later...

It's kind of hard to judge all three of these categories together....

Worst Traffic: Atlanta probably has the worst, but at least it follows a pattern of sorts. It's only really backed up during the rush hours of the morning and evening. Otherwise, it's fairly easy to drive through them.

Los Angeles, however, also has bad traffic (perhaps not as bad as Atlanta's, though). However, at least to the observations of some people who have been there, it doesn't seem to follow a pattern as much as Atlanta's does. It just seems to back up for no reason at all at times.

Worst Drivers:

Atlanta wins for worst and fastest drivers. If you can't drive at least 70 mph, then get out of the lane!

Worst Highways:

Atlanta's are actually well pretty kept. How about...Los Angeles for this one?

I agree...Atlanta does has the worst drivers.

If you cant drive 70? Try 80-90 at least! I get scared sometimes in Atlanta with 12 lanes of traffic flying 90mph down the freeways. And there are never any cops to see.

Ive never driven in Houston or LA so I cannot say but from what Ive seen out of the backs of cabs its pretty rough in both places.

Miami, to me, has the worst drivers. They arent consistent like Atlanta drivers...who are pretty much ALL doing 80-90mph. Some Miami drivers are VERY slow, then you have some who drive 90mph up the turnpike. I guess its all the "retirees" in South Florida.

As per condition, I'd have to say LA. Some of their freeways, especially around Downtown (specifically the 5) are relics of the original freeway system. The 10 near Santa Monica is also especially bad. The mess of on/off-ramps with little or no run lane on the 110 Downtown is also probably the cause of its notoriously-bad congestion.

Atlanta has some of the best-maintained freeways I've seen in a major city, saving maybe for Phoenix (esp. the new rubberized asphalt section of the 101 freeway). Of course, it's been about six years since I was last in Atlanta.

Houston's freeways have some problem spots, especially the east side (I-10 and SH 225), which are just eaten up by big trucks. The North Loop East was always a bad spot, as was the West Loop before they redid it a few years ago. However, Houston is the land of constant freeway expansion, and all of the problematic, potholed freeways that I grew up with have since been redone (except US 290, which hasn't seen construction in something like 20 years).

I must also comment on the walled HOV lanes in Houston. I-45 north to about Shephard, a section of I-45 south, and US 290 until about Pinemont are pretty scary as there is literally no shoulder in the left lane. The barriers here are littered with marks of those who weren't careful enough and probably lost a mirror because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta has by far the worst traffic and drivers in the country, maybe the world. They tend to drive large SUVs very fast while talking on their cellphones (both usage of SUVs and cellphone highest in country) and not using turn signals. Don't think of allowing more than 1 carlength between yourself and the car in front of you because someone will try to squeeze in while not signaling. Also, one your in Atlanta city limits, the police are nonexistent. The only cars I have ever seen pulled over have been by GA State Patrol. Also, the roads are not in good shape anymore since there is constant roadwork on virtually every interstate (I-285 south of the Airport, and I-85 south of that especially) in the last couple of years. Since there is very little public transportation in Atlanta, the roads are also more crowded.

• 1 month later...

Worst Drivers- Atlanta

Worst Roads- Atlanta

Fastest Drivers- Chicago

And the last post was exactly right. Cops in downtown Atlanta area are nonexistent. If you breakdown at night you better have a gun because the police will be forever.

I doubt many forumers been to all 3 cities to converse on this topic so it makes it difficult to compare all 3 of them. Ive only been to Atlanta but not the three other cities

Miami, to me, has the worst drivers. They arent consistent like Atlanta drivers...who are pretty much ALL doing 80-90mph. Some Miami drivers are VERY slow, then you have some who drive 90mph up the turnpike. I guess its all the "retirees" in South Florida.

Year round out of towners make driving in south Florida very scary too mainly with their hesistant lane jerking manuevers.

I have been to and driven in all three cities.

Worst Drivers: Atlanta. Its almost as if they are TRYING to drive badly. (Based on visiting several times and driving through 7 times and counting.)

Worst Roads: Houston. Many of the freeways are overdue for widening and now that they finally are, its a mess. (Katy Freeway, North Freeway in Conroe, Southwest Freeway in Montrose) Others are very rough. (East Loop) Others are great and you can cruise at 75 and its a smooth ride. (Based on living there and learning to drive there.)

Worst Traffic: Los Angeles. Atlanta and Houston don't even come close. The roads are always congested and it takes forever to get around on the freeways. (Based on driving from San Diego to LA and back.)

LA has the worst traffic by far, i've been to Atlanta many many times it doesn't even come close. Same with Houston. Saying Atlanta's traffic is worse than LA is silly. In fact LA drivers wait 27 hours longer a year in congestion. That's a fairly substantial difference. Traffic studies, put Atlanta in the top ten but not the worst. Why a poll of just Atlanta, Houston, or LA though? So many cities to compare. 2005 Texas Mobility Institute. I know when you live in a place it's easy to say it has the worst, but one really must travel and experience other cities. Truth is LA, San Fran, and DC all have worse congestion and longer wait times than Atlanta. Houston is #5 by small margin behind Atlanta. Also not shown in those numbers, is the fact that Metro Atlanta drivers, commute farther to work than in most other metro areas. Which also plays a factor in the high amount of time in traffic. Whereas in DC and San Fran, you just have a tremendous amount of company. If you were to look at pure traffic, Boston, New York, Miami, Chicago and Detroit would also be worse than Atlanta by volume of cars. The delays in these cities may just not be as long per capita. Basically what it's saying is that in most case,if your city is high on that list. Your city was poorly planned and sprawled as hell.

That's a tough one. LA drivers are simply @$$holes and you know it's a good day when you can get where you're going without some road-raging numbskull pulling a .38 on you.

On the other hand, having seen Texas drivers and how deficient they are in some categories (like obeying speed limits and using blinkers), it's not exactly pleasant here either.

I can't comment on Miami though, haven't been there.

As to Chicagoans...well, they didn't strike me as that fast or crazy, except dealing with pedestrians lol. The only thing that annoyed me was that double-honk thing they do...what's that all about, anyway?

Archived