Dell could open more facilities in the Triad.

cityboi

It was mentioned on the news this morning that Dell could open up a distribution center and a call center in the Triad. This could give Greensboro an opportunity to cash in on Dell. Guilford County does extremly well at attracting call centers and distribution centers. Triad Tower might even be a fit for call center operations.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with all the money WS/FC spent on attracting Dell, it would be unfair for them to open up new operations outside of forsyth. if they play the competing incentive game again, that would be 5 times worse.

I agree. This would really upset alot of people.

It was mentioned on the news this morning that Dell could open up a distribution center and a call center in the Triad. This could give Greensboro an opportunity to cash in on Dell. Guilford County does extremly well at attracting call centers and distribution centers. Triad Tower might even be a fit for call center operations.

Prior to awarding the Dell factory to Winston-Salem, Dell decided to locate a customer service center in Cincinatti (I think) so I'm not sure that they would open another one so soon. As far as a distribution center goes, it would make sense to locate it next to the factory which is already close to the new FedEx hub at PTI.

I agree. This would really upset alot of people.

Maybe I'm misinformed about the incentives process, but I don't see how any other distribution/call centers would have anything to do with the money paid to land the original deal. As long as the original stipulations are met in relation to the original plant deal, why would people be upset? I would understand if, for some reason, any of these new centers directly impeded or effected the operations of the manufacturing plant, but they wouldn't. This would be great for the Triad as a WHOLE. As long as the plant creates the jobs it promised it would definitely be upholding it's end of the bargain. This would just deepen the relationship Dell has with the area, and if they built more centers they would not be going back on their word with Forsyth.

certainly, just because Forsyth has the Dell plant, that doesnt mean Guilford wont get any associated call center or distribution center. Keep in mind its not about just one city. Its regional and its about what fits the needs for Dell.

Dell just increased the direct jobs to 1700. the company plans to add a server line to its ws plant starting this summer. (200 additional jobs) article

sure dell could build anywhere they want...but i understand that these operations are very time sensitive. so would it really make sense to build a distribution center outside of alliance/union cross?

from this week's bizjournal:

Leak said although other facilities had not specifically been discussed, he said Dell officials have praised the help they received in the startup process many times. The 750,000- square-foot plant was built and running in less than nine months last year.

"Our expectation is that, given the way we performed for this facility, we should be considered for any future expansion on the East Coast," Leak said.

sure dell could build anywhere they want...but i understand that these operations are very time sensitive. so would it really make sense to build a distribution center outside of alliance/union cross?

I agree that these things may be time sensitive. However, there are many manufacturing sites for various companies that aren't right beside their distribution centers. It would be very ideal for Dell to build it close to the current plant, but I don't believe it would be a necessity, especially if the place they do build a distribution center is a better location, geographically speaking. They will build the distribution center where a distribution center will fare well, regardless of it's manufacturing plant. They'll have to decide that.

Archived