Sosta Caf

pdxheel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it is about time for places to stop keeping those hours downtown. maybe start with staying open later in the evenings, then move on to weekends in the not too distant future. or start with saturdays maybe. i dont know, i just think there is enough people coming downtown on the weekends for these places to start making some money, especially if they are one of the first places to stay open.

i think it is about time for places to stop keeping those hours downtown. maybe start with staying open later in the evenings, then move on to weekends in the not too distant future. or start with saturdays maybe. i dont know, i just think there is enough people coming downtown on the weekends for these places to start making some money, especially if they are one of the first places to stay open.

Agreed.

I live downtown, but work in RTP. So, there are several places downtown that I rarely have the opportunity to visit like Brass Grill, Joe's Place, etc because they are closed evenings & weekends.

Until we get a critical mass of DTers living here it isn't going to change. Businesses in the center city need ped traffic and they just don't get it at night or on weekends yet. I would think as some of the core projects (F St, RCC, Palladium Plaza, RBC, etc) get finished, you'll see that change... in 2007 or 2008.

there is enough foot traffic on the weekends to support atleast a few places, maybe not all right now. i go downtown a lot on the weekends to take pictures and check out the progress, and there are always a lot of other people doing the same thing. it would be great if there was somewhere to grab a coffee or sandwhich while doing so.

Since they stay open till 10 or so on weeknights and on the weekends, I try to eat at El Rodeo as often as possible. On the east side of downtown, we are fortunate that Cafe Luna, Tir Na Nog, Duck and Dumpling, Zydego, Vics, etc. are open evenings and weekends, but other than the City Market Subway and Shaw McDonalds, there are few "cheap" places after 5.

There are plenty of good, existing places -- the afore mentioned Brass Grill, La Joy/Sosta, Coopers, Roly Poly, Angelos, Chick Fil A, etc. but they don't stay open. Also, Port City Java doesn't stay open late, even for First Friday, and Tony's cafe only stays open late for first friday, and only 6 or 7 on other weekends.

The traffic is there now, but only enough to support some establishments, not all. But no one wants to take the first step and see what after five traffic they would get. I don't walk around every weekend, but I try to go once or twice a month at least, and have a hard time finding anything open until I get to the Hillsborough/Glenwood intersection. I eat before I leave home and/or bring a snack to tide me over till I get to Char Grill/Snoopys.

Do people in Person Point, Founders Row, Shaw students, and the eastside neighborhood not deserve to be served things taken for granted everywhere else in the city?

• 4 weeks later...

My wife went to Sosta yesterday and really enjoyed it - bring cash though because they don't take credit right now (although did extend her $5.38 iou because she didn't have enough cash with her).

We went last Friday and it was GREAT!!! They are taking Credit cards now, BTW. Parking is a little bit of a hassle, though, at lunch.

Archived