Lafayette City Profile

breaux

(Not trying to steal NCB's thunder, just getting the ball rolling.)

Lafayette, Louisiana

POPULATION

City Population (2004 estimate): 111,966

Metropolitan Area Population: 385,647

Lafayette Market Area Population: 612,358

HISTORY

The city was founded as Vermilionville in 1821 by a French-speaking Acadian named Jean Mouton. It was later renamed for the Marquis de Lafayette, who assisted the United States during its Revolutionary War. The city's economy was primarily based on agriculture until the 1940s, when the petroleum and natural gas industry became dominant. The city is also home to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the second largest university in Louisiana.

LAFAYETTE TODAY

Located in the heart of Cajun Country, Lafayette bills itself as the capital of Cajun Heartland, USA. Culturally, Lafayette has much to offer.

Lafayette Mardi Gras claims to be the second biggest in the state. With eight parades, Lafayette's Mardi Gras generates over 109 million dollars for the city.

The upcoming Festival International de Louisiane drew over 250,000 visitors in 1991, from 30 countries and 45 states, and has continued to grow ever since. Held on the last weekend of April in downtown Lafayette, the festival is free of charge and highlights the Acadiana region's French heritage, bringing in both local and international acts, and utilising over 1,000 community volunteers.

Held each fall, Festivals Acadiens celebrates the Cajun and Creole heritage of the area. More than 50,000 visitors take part in the joint food, crafts and music festival.

Downtown Alive! is Louisiana's largest weekly outdoor concert series. With twelve spring dates and twelve fall dates, it is a Friday night block party highlighting the rich and wide-ranging musical heritage of Louisiana.

For other popular cultural events, such as the second Saturday ArtWalk, visit http://www.lafayettetravel.com/events/.

Lafayette is also home to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

For some fast facts about the university go here: http://www.louisiana.edu/Advancement/PRNS/...fastfacts.shtml

Economic News:

Lafayette Continues to Set the Pace in Economic Growth

February 03, 2005 - The latest employment figures underscore Lafayette's economic vitality. Louisiana gained 5,400 more jobs in the service-providing sector in December 2004 than in December 2003. The significant aspect of that is that 3,400 of those jobs were in Lafayette.

http://www.lafayette.org/site.php?pageID=102&newsID=39

Lafayette Ranks No. 68 for Doing Business

May 04, 2005 - Inc. magazine moves Lafayette up its list of Best Places for Doing Business in America after finishing No. 126 last year.

The rankings considered job creation, job sector diversity and other business concerns in ranking the 274 area across the U.S.

Lafayette is the highest ranking city in Louisiana.

Lafayette's score of 60.9 topped the list of other Louisiana cities.

Other recognition of local economic efforts include an October 2004 mention in Entrepreneur magazine as one of the most attractive cities for high-tech businesses and making the Milken Institute's 2003 list of top 200 metropolitan areas in the nation for growth in wages and salary.

At an event Tuesday in Baton Rouge, the ranking brought cheers, said Gregg Gothreaux, president and CEO of Lafayette Economic Development Authority.

"I got a round of applause on how Lafayette is doing so well," he said. "It really puts us in a good light."

Considering the past three or four recent ratings, "it really makes a nice story about the cost of doing business in terms of entrepreneurial spirit," Gothreaux said.

http://www.lafayette.org/site.php?pageID=102&newsID=50

116.jpg

Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise (LITE) is a state-of-the-art resource center encompassing the world

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job ! Breaux

I have some family living in the Lafayette area . I'm glad this area is now well represented with you on board ! Lafayette has alot going for it .

Whats the word around there with River Ranch ? The 1st TND (Traditional Neighborhood Development) in Louisiana . Baton Rouge has just began there 1st TND , following Lafayette's lead.

Whats the word around there with River Ranch ? The 1st TND (Traditional Neighborhood Development) in Louisiana . Baton Rouge has just began there 1st TND , following Lafayette's lead.

The word on River Ranch is that it is booming.

Every time I drive down Camellia Blvd., which bisects River Ranch, there is something new being built. The scale of some of the buildings may be a bit much for me, but overall it is a great concept and I'm glad to see that people are realizing that smart growth and planning are positives.

I know that there will be a large, organic food store opening in River Ranch in 2007. One can only assume that is a Whole Foods. There is already a very large, upscale shopping area under construction, not unlike the one surrounding Whole Foods on Corporate in Baton Rouge, they already have a Bone Fish and a Carrabas...

Here is their website: http://www.riverranchlafayette.com/index2.cfm

There are also Sugarmill Pond, which is a TND by the same developers of River Ranch which is located in Lafayette Parish in Youngsville (right outside of Lafayette). There are two other TNDs in Lafayette: Olde Town at Mill Creek and Stonehaven on the River.

And I hope I didn't step on any toes NCB!

And I hope I didn't step on any toes NCB!

Oh not at all!

I'm very glad you made a city profile for Lafayette. Hopefully more discussion pertaining to Lafayette will spur off of this, similar to the Baton Rouge profile. :D

Developer eyes Lafayette property

Complex holds huge potential economic impact

Claire Taylor

[email protected]

A California-based developer is looking at property in north Lafayette to build a $200 million retail, office and entertainment complex that could create 3,000 to 4,000 jobs.

But, property owners in the target area said Tuesday they have received no firm offers and made no agreements, which means the development is in its infant stages and is in no way a sure thing.

According to documents obtained by The Daily Advertiser through public records requests, O&S Holdings LLC is looking at land in the northwest quadrant of the intersection of Interstate 10 and Interstate 49, from Acadian Hills Lane to Pont des Mouton Road, including Acadian Hills Country Club and Crossroads Church.

The company is considering building a development similar to Louisiana Boardwalk in Bossier City, which O&S Holdings also developed.

Preliminary plans for the north Lafayette complex, called the Bridge Street Town Centre, show 34 retail stores, 11 restaurants, two hotels, offices and a theater.

http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../603080319/1002

Market Force

A 22,000-square-foot location of The Fresh Market grocery store opens the door for more development in River Ranch.

The $5.5 million Fresh Market wont open its River Ranch doors till next spring, but the North Carolina-based specialty grocer is expected to fuel millions in construction for Lafayettes first lifestyle shopping center, The Market at River Ranch.

The Fresh Market will jump start approximately $30 million in construction in the Market area up front over the next 12 months, says River Ranch developer Robert Daigle. Work on the 22,000-square-foot grocery store, which a company spokesman refers to as old-world European markets under one roof, starts in about two months.

Daigles mega-investment includes retail, apartments and condominiums on a 20-acre site between Main Street and Kaliste Saloom Road. Already under way, Main Street begins at Camellia Boulevard and will extend across River Ranch Boulevard to the traditional neighborhood developments eastern boundary, where itll connect northward on Settlers Trace and southward on Kaliste Saloom. Taking its cue from smart growth principles, the main street term dates back to small town developments that attracted boutique retailers to an inviting pedestrian environment. This one incorporates a boulevard of trees and features a central fountain.

http://www.theind.com/news2.asp?CID=230622345

Those look like fantastic projects for the area! :D

The company is considering building a development similar to Louisiana Boardwalk in Bossier City, which O&S Holdings also developed.

That sound's great! I'm looking forward to seeing more info on that project. :thumbsup:

breaux, if O&S Holdings does build a lifestyle center in Lafayette, expect it to be a huge deal. They always spend major bucks on their projects, and they do an excellent job. If you have not had a chance to visit Louisiana Boardwalk in Bossier, you should do so if you're ever up this way. Then you can truly understand the magnitude of an O&S Holdings project. These guys can and will deliver what they say.

Also breaux, could you please format your articles to comply with the UrbanPlanet Rules.

I recommend posting articles in this format:

Title

Short Description

Link

Quotes from the Article or comments about the article.

-Your cooperation is much appreciated. :)

Can do. :thumbsup:

As for the development, it would tremendous for the city, especially the lagging northside. My guess is that the company realizes that being at the intersection of I-10 and I-49 brings tremendous potential, not to mention the growth in St. Landry south of Opelousas.

For some reason Lafayette hasn't developed much at all along I-10, it would be great if this project could jump start development along that crucial corridor.

I have noticed this and wondered why. But now, maybe the time has come.

Yeah, it is very wierd. Driving past Lafayette on I-10 it's hard to tell there is a large city back there.

The Louisiana Ave. interchange (the new one, and the first Lafayette exit you hit coming west from Baton Rouge) is getting a Super Target and a surrounding shopping center.

I would expect that if this Bridge Street Town Center actually happens, Lafayette will finally embrace I-10 like it has with I-49/Hwy. 90.

I would expect that if this Bridge Street Town Center actually happens, Lafayette will finally embrace I-10 like it has with I-49/Hwy. 90.

I hope so, because that would be great development for the city. :D

They completed a new 6-story Drury Suites and another nice sized hotel along I-10 near University Ave. last year . That was good to see Lafayette building along I-10 . Driving along I-10 , most people would think Lake Charles was larger than Lafayette because of the way I-10 LC runs right into the CBD and also has a nice by-pass ; I-10 just skirts along the northern fringes of Lafayette.

They completed a new 6-story Drury Suites and another nice sized hotel along I-10 near University Ave. last year . That was good to see Lafayette building along I-10 . Driving along I-10 , most people would think Lake Charles was larger than Lafayette because of the way I-10 LC runs right into the CBD and also has a nice by-pass ; I-10 just skirts along the northern fringes of Lafayette.

Longview and Tyler, two cities in east Texas, are both set off I-20 too far. In the case of Longview, I-20 skirts the city just to the south and most people who are just driving through have no idea that there's a city back there with a population of over 70,000. In the case of Tyler, the interstate runs quite a few (10-15) miles north of the city... and Tyler is a city of around 100,000... but yet you wouldn't know it just driving by on I-20. It's so much cheaper to buy land outside of a city for a freeway than it is inside the city limits, but one of the best things a city can do is try to stretch out and develop around an interstate.

Longview and Tyler, two cities in east Texas, are both set off I-20 too far. In the case of Longview, I-20 skirts the city just to the south and most people who are just driving through have no idea that there's a city back there with a population of over 70,000. In the case of Tyler, the interstate runs quite a few (10-15) miles north of the city... and Tyler is a city of around 100,000... but yet you wouldn't know it just driving by on I-20. It's so much cheaper to buy land outside of a city for a freeway than it is inside the city limits, but one of the best things a city can do is try to stretch out and develop around an interstate.

There has been some controversy about building frontage roads along I-10 in Lafayette lately. Much of that money was diverted to widen an arterial road in south Lafayette and it became a racial issue (north/black and south/white). Right now they are looking at ways of paying for all the roads (raising taxes), which is fine by me. We'll be kicking ourselves later if we put off expanding our roads. Traffic in Lafayette isn't nearly as bad as Baton Rouge, but we are certainly well above capacity on many of our roads.

There has been some controversy about building frontage roads along I-10 in Lafayette lately. Much of that money was diverted to widen an arterial road in south Lafayette and it became a racial issue (north/black and south/white). Right now they are looking at ways of paying for all the roads (raising taxes), which is fine by me. We'll be kicking ourselves later if we put off expanding our roads. Traffic in Lafayette isn't nearly as bad as Baton Rouge, but we are certainly well above capacity on many of our roads.

Traffic in most cities isn't as bad as in Baton Rouge. ;) For being the capitol city, you'd think they would have the best freeway system in the state.

Now back to Lafayette, don't you just hate it when things become racial issues? It happens all over, but it disturbs me that, in the year 2006, people still play the race card when they don't get their way. It has more to do with what parts of the city contribute the most in tax dollars, not race. Don't feel bad, Shreveport is overflowing with race issues as well. That is the only thing I hate about the south... most northern cities truly aren't like that.

Having the largest river in North America has to be some of the blame, it puts BR at a disadvantage when it comes to a Loop . It is so $expensive to build a massive bridge like that . Between Jefferson and Orleans Parish are only two-bridges over the "Mighty Mississippi". I-610 Bridge is in St.Charles Parish.

A Southern By-Pass was proposed for BR years ago , but failed due to the large swamp area they want to preserve . Swamp / Large River = Landlocked Gridlock . It's bad !

Ambassador Caffrey is supposed to become a loop one day for Lafayette ,connecting I-49 thru the rapidly growing area to the south , Broussard and Youngsville .

Having the largest river in North America has to be some of the blame, it puts BR at a disadvantage when it comes to a Loop . It is so $expensive to build a massive bridge like that . Between Jefferson and Orleans Parish are only two-bridges over the "Mighty Mississippi". I-610 Bridge is in St.Charles Parish.

A Southern By-Pass was proposed for BR years ago , but failed due to the large swamp area they want to preserve . Swamp / Large River = Landlocked Gridlock . It's bad !

Ambassador Caffrey is supposed to become a loop one day for Lafayette ,connecting I-49 thru the rapidly growing area to the south , Broussard and Youngsville .

Actually the Mississippi River can't be the biggest inhibitor, because Shreveport's loop (I-220) has a bridge over Cross Lake that is just as long as - if not longer than - any bridge over the Mississippi. I'm really surprised, with Baton Rouge being the state capitol, that they didn't get a loop before we did. And I-49 is a mostly-elevated freeway, even through Shreveport. Now that was an expensive freeway to build, especially since its flyovers are stacked 4 and 5 high.

Anyway, sorry to keep the Baton Rouge discussion going in the Lafayette thread....

I hope Lafayette is smart with Ambassador Caffrey. If they do make it a loop, they need to leave room for service roads. Otherwise, you'll have a "loop" like Bert Kouns which has traffic lights and no ramps or service roads.

Archived