John Ball Zoo

mjak68

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article about the zoo in the press to day it says they will have more interactive exhibits including, "The "feeling" comes later this summer when a new "zipline," or pulley system, such as those used in rain forests, opens and allows visitors to fly over the zoo's waterfall." yay!!!!

Wow, that's bizarre. We went to a sneak preview event tonight and they talked about the zip line. Sweet! The lion exhibit is also well underway, and there were quite a few other upgrades under construction that we saw.

The Aquarium idea in downtown sounds great! I especially like the idea of connecting it to Great Lakes conservation and a theme on the Grand River. A cool idea would be to build it right up to the Grand River's edge and have a viewing area to see the salmon coming through...sort of like the fish ladder only with underwater viewing too.

The only thing is...Northern fish are not really all that exciting (as far as color) so in order to bring more people in the aquarium would have to have some tropical fishes etc. that had more vivacious color and characteristics.

I thought that too about northern fish until I toured the Tennessee aquarium in Chattanooga. They have a 2 story indoor tank of Tennessee River native fish (including a big huge Sturgeon). I was (for me at least) far more impressive than the standard "pet the stingray" pool and "how bout them Bahamian angel fish?" tanks.

Something like that, along the banks of the Grand that dealt with the entire great lakes eco-system would be a regional marvel.

Wow, that's bizarre. We went to a sneak preview event tonight and they talked about the zip line. Sweet! The lion exhibit is also well underway, and there were quite a few other upgrades under construction that we saw.

OK, I want to see an overhead depicting the zipline path and, um, anything that might be critical (shark tank, lion den).

• 1 year later...

Wow, long time no updates. I actually did ride the zip line last summer and it was pretty sweet! There's also a new ropes course that is opening this Summer (separate cost).

RapidGrowth has an article today that the new lion exhibit opens June 14th. The best part is that it apparently has a 24 ft high platform with great views of the downtown skyline. First one to post a shot from this new platform gets a prize. ^_^

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...ionzoo0529.aspx

RapidGrowth has an article today that the new lion exhibit opens June 14th. The best part is that it apparently has a 24 ft high platform with great views of the downtown skyline. First one to post a shot from this new platform gets a prize. ^_^ ...

Now ya tell me...Ex19 and I visited on Monday. Nice little place.

If I had known that the lions weren't taking visitors yet...

An aquarium sounds like an awesome idea, but I believe it is an uphill battle. I have been so interested in this idea guys (and gals) that it is my goal to start a non-profit just to get the ball rolling on this for Grand Rapids. I've been gathering information from the local Melbourne zoo about raising funds and learning how to gather support for such a project. What I have learned is that such an endeavour is very a) time consuming b) complex c) and very difficult (as you would expect). Also, I discovered something disheartening: Shedd's proximity to a possible GR aquarium raises feasability issues. I've been told that, whereas zoos get most of their support from the local population, an aquarium tends to get its revenue and support through tourism and out-of-state travelers. So the question is whether or not GR is a big enough tourist trap to prove it can sustain an aquarium. On the plus side, we have plenty of philanthropists to offset the cost, but this may not be enough. This idea of mine to start a non-profit is the biggest goal I've ever set for myself and I hope that I can accomplish it. If not, I'll at least stoke the fire enough to get something going. Who knows, MLive might one day have an interesting headline saying "GR to build a Civic Aquarium." ;)

The Aquarium idea in downtown sounds great! I especially like the idea of connecting it to Great Lakes conservation and a theme on the Grand River. A cool idea would be to build it right up to the Grand River's edge and have a viewing area to see the salmon coming through...sort of like the fish ladder only with underwater viewing too.

Great Thinking though GR-UP! :thumbsup:

An aquarium sounds like an awesome idea, but I believe it is an uphill battle. I have been so interested in this idea guys (and gals) that it is my goal to start a non-profit just to get the ball rolling on this for Grand Rapids. I've been gathering information from the local Melbourne zoo about raising funds and learning how to gather support for such a project. What I have learned is that such an endeavour is very a) time consuming b) complex c) and very difficult (as you would expect). Also, I discovered something disheartening: Shedd's proximity to a possible GR aquarium raises feasability issues. I've been told that, whereas zoos get most of their support from the local population, an aquarium tends to get its revenue and support through tourism and out-of-state travelers. So the question is whether or not GR is a big enough tourist trap to prove it can sustain an aquarium. On the plus side, we have plenty of philanthropists to offset the cost, but this may not be enough. This idea of mine to start a non-profit is the biggest goal I've ever set for myself and I hope that I can accomplish it. If not, I'll at least stoke the fire enough to get something going. Who knows, MLive might one day have an interesting headline saying "GR to build a Civic Aquarium." ;)

Yea I have heard about aquariums being rather costly...but does the aquarium neccessarily need to be independant? Would it be more feasable/possible to be like a satalite of the John Ball Zoo? Just sort of move their small aquatics section to a different location and expand it with more of an emphasis on local aquatic life (lake Michigan, Grand River, Ponds, and small lakes of the area). Just some thoughts...I love fish and would love to see something like this happen...also, don't you think it could be a draw for the many business people that stay at the hotels downtown?

Also...Sunfish and Bluegills are quite pretty to look at...

I had sort of a wacky idea for the zoo tonight. Wouldn't it be cool if they tunneled under I-196 and continued to expand on the other side into Millenium Park and/or The Mines Golf Course?

That idea was explored when the zoo was looking to expand or move over to Leonard, and was nixed due to the unstable gypsum mines in that area.

I think expanding it would be the most likely approach. That way, a bigger tourism base can be built and then eventually something bigger can happen. I can see multiple new tanks being built with saltwater fish and other creatures to lure more tourists and then in 10 to 20 years saying, "Hey, this is a big draw so maybe we should look into a new and bigger location." Currently, the aquatic facility at John Ball is not a draw what-so-ever. The new Lion exhibit has the potential to be a big attraction and that should be viewed as a model for a similar aquatic one.

Yea I have heard about aquariums being rather costly...but does the aquarium neccessarily need to be independant? Would it be more feasable/possible to be like a satalite of the John Ball Zoo? Just sort of move their small aquatics section to a different location and expand it with more of an emphasis on local aquatic life (lake Michigan, Grand River, Ponds, and small lakes of the area). Just some thoughts...

I think expanding it would be the most likely approach. That way, a bigger tourism base can be built and then eventually something bigger can happen. I can see multiple new tanks being built with saltwater fish and other creatures to lure more tourists and then in 10 to 20 years saying, "Hey, this is a big draw so maybe we should look into a new and bigger location." Currently, the aquatic facility at John Ball is not a draw what-so-ever. The new Lion exhibit has the potential to be a big attraction and that should be viewed as a model for a similar aquatic one.

I think the zoo should look at adding a new exhibit every year, sort of how Cedar Point does it. That way you continually draw repeat visitors back, draw new visitors in, and also keep up the momentum of excitement and fund-raising for future zoo expansions. I seem to remember that a new Grizzly Bear exhibit and a new entrance plaza were in the new Master Plan for the initial phases. I wonder if we'll see some of that by next Summer?

That actually would probably not be too out of the question. Its probably more likely to happen than the elephant exhibit I want to see so bad.

You might look into what the Detroit Zoo did with their long-time elephant exhibit. Those critters need lots of space.

You might look into what the Detroit Zoo did with their long-time elephant exhibit. Those critters need lots of space.
The problem is animal crackers. People expect to find the same animals in the zoo as they found in a box of animal crackers when they were kids. In these challenging times, rather than building bigger more expensive zoo exhibits to hold animals that eat a lot and would rather have more space anyway, the answer is to reduce expectations by including only more reasonable animals in the animal cracker box. Put a few raccoon and duck cookies in the box in place of the elephants and lions and in no time you won't need a bigger zoo or zoo parking lot.

The problem is animal crackers. People expect to find the same animals in the zoo as they found in a box of animal crackers when they were kids. In these challenging times, rather than building bigger more expensive zoo exhibits to hold animals that eat a lot and would rather have more space anyway, the answer is to reduce expectations by including only more reasonable animals in the animal cracker box. Put a few raccoon and duck cookies in the box in place of the elephants and lions and in no time you won't need a bigger zoo or zoo parking lot.

I think you've been speaking with my son - you may even have outdone him!

Why, because no one will go? :) Ducks and raccoons seem to be pretty prevalent in West Michigan.

They had a "members" special event tonight at the zoo and the place was packed! Last year they apparently had about 2200 people register, and this year it was 6000. :o

The downside was you had to wait in a 20 minute line to see the new lion exhibit, and the lions were being very shy and could barely be seen in the very back of the exhibit area. They also had the 24' viewing platform (where you look down into the exhibit) closed. We were pretty disappointed, but we'll try back again in a few weeks.

. . . They had a "members" special event tonight at the zoo and the place was packed! Last year they apparently had about 2200 people register, and this year it was 6000. :o

The downside was you had to wait in a 20 minute line to see the new lion exhibit, and the lions were being very shy and could barely be seen in the very back of the exhibit area. They also had the 24' viewing platform (where you look down into the exhibit) closed. We were pretty disappointed, but we'll try back again in a few weeks.

I've been a member so long that I think just before I joined John Ball held the meetings in his living room. But I don't go to these special events anymore because of the crowds. Nice to know the society is so popular but I prefer to see my animals more leisurely. If you can manage it, this time of year I'd recommend going to the zoo during the week in the late afternoon early evening. Usually you will have the place just about all to yourself. Only downside is those annoying announcements that the zoo is closing in x minutes.

Archived