John Ball Zoo

mjak68

Why are we re-fighting old battles? I think the thing to do now is support the zoo so that it can maximize the potential it has in its current location. There is still A LOT of room to expand the current zoo without spilling into the lower park. But they need financial support to do so.

Maybe the county should postpone any more improvements to Millennium Park and get the zoo as good as it can be first?

• 1 year later...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The view will be between the views we have at I-196 at Kent Trails and Sunset Ave. I'm wondering if the Gallery on Fulton building will be hidden behind the Plaza Towers building from this location. I think it will be as it is near the Sunset Ave. location.

~John

Zoo is on a roll.

file0067.jpg

I'll throw my Nessie picture in as well. Shutter lag is terrible on my BlackBerry, so it's not framed how I wanted. :/

4623141048_f58200569a.jpg

I think that with this, the swan boats in that same pond, and the zoo, John Ball Park could become a cool little tourist destination for people visiting for conferences or visiting family.

Also, I've been thinking that 100ft tall lookout tower at the picnic area on top of John Ball Park was a great idea ever since I first wandered up there.

I just can't wait to ride on something with a cool name like a funicular.

Yeah, the language nerd in me knows it has something to do with the Latin word for rope, but you can't go wrong with something that sounds like a portmanteau of "particular" and "fun!" :w00t:

I do have a perhaps obtusely negative question: isn't the zoo not doing so well as far as upkeep costs on what it has? I'm reminded of something someone said about development: it's easy to bring in money to build a new addition, not so much to keep it running...

• 10 months later...

I wonder if the plan will be generally like this in the 2005 master plan?

post-2672-1141529535_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1141529560_thumb.jpg

:D

edit: in re-reading the article, it sounds like it will be longer, 900 ft, and will curve around the children's petting zoo and will start closer to the entrance.

• 1 year later...

This isn't John Ball related, but has anyone been to Boulder Ridge (out in Alto, MI)? Reptile Rick, easily one of the most entertaining people I've ever talked to is raising funds to develop a TV show about his park. I'm sure he'll be successful. For entertainment value alone, check out the video on their indiegogo page:

http://bit.ly/OBo8mj

Joe

• 2 years later...

That's pretty cool.  Some of my fondest memories of growing up in Grand Rapids are of visits to John Ball Zoo.

I like it; I am happy to see reinvestment in the zoo. John Ball gets a bad rap compared to Binder Park and the Detroit Zoo, but I personally like it and am excited to see new plans for the future. (although, I'd love for an aquarium, by the river)

This just in...People on the west side are opposing a change of some kind.    

I know you are all shocked......carry on. 

I hope the West Side gets gentrified and all of the stuffy residents that try their damndest to keep it like 1983 are forced to move to the Butterworth Landfill. 

This just in...People on the west side are opposing a change of some kind.    

I know you are all shocked......carry on. 

I hope the West Side gets gentrified and all of the stuffy residents that try their damndest to keep it like 1983 are forced to move to the Butterworth Landfill. 

It seems to me that getting rid of the current roundabout and turning it into a pedestrian friendly garden is a fine trade-off for making the temporary parking area a more permanent parking area. I've also read some humorous comments that all the "suburbanites" that go to the zoo should take the new Laker Line there.

Apparently the County yesterday voted to just call the new parking area "Future Additional Parking":

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/02/john_ball_zoo_plan_why_some_gr.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Can someone refresh my memory...  When there was talk of moving the zoo out to the golf course by Meijer Gardens, did the West Siders embrace or oppose that move?  

Yes, Fred Meijer was to donate the Grand Rapids GC, land and some $$, but there was a special millage to pay for most of the costs, which Kent County voters turned down.   It all started, I believe, because folks on the westside were upset over expansion plans at the zoo.  Sound familiar? 

Yes, Fred Meijer was to donate the Grand Rapids GC, land and some $$, but there was a special millage to pay for most of the costs, which Kent County voters turned down.   It all started, I believe, because folks on the westside were upset over expansion plans at the zoo.  Sound familiar? 

I think you're right. I believe the zoo neighbors were split though. Some were for the move and some were against. I don't know what would have become of the old zoo after it was abandoned? End up on one of those abandoned amusement park websites? :)

• 10 months later...

I'd say its probably the best time for them to ask for money as the economy of the area is the best its been in ten years (or since the zoo last asked for money). I think supporting these two institutions is valuable to the area in general even if one does not use them as having a good zoo and a good museum are positive cultural attributes for the city.

Chances of passing? I am going to predict 52-48. Voter turnout will be high due to the presidential election.

Archived