New Highrise Near U of M

cdarr

Now this is exciting. A 12-story resdential tower with a garage and street-level retail, about two blocks from the University of Memphis.

http://commercialappeal.com/mca/real_estat...4513314,00.html

This will be located on the east side of Highland, about 300 yards north of the RR tracks. This is directly across the street from the continuous row of buisnesses that is the heart of the Highland Strip - Newby's, Highland Cue, etc. Some old houses used by small businesses and take-out restaurants currently occupy the site.

The lady quoted in the article in opposition to the building seems to have forgotten that there are already four highrises along Highland within a half-mile of this site. Not sure why she thinks this is too big and out of place.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highland Strip will also have a 13 story tower apartment complex for the elderly, and a 12 story condo. Announcements are coming very quickly and hopefully we see ground broken soon.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=91830

I can't click on that link for some reason. Are you saying there are these two towers in addition to the one at the top of this thread?

^Sorry. I fixed the link now. Yeah 3 high rise projects at once. We might consider this area an extension of East Memphis in a few years :D

I'm wondering if perhaps they were talking about Luther Towers, and existing high rise for the elderly that is 13 stories, and The Edinburgh, a 12-story condo. The paragraph did start by mentioning that the new project would join several existing residential properties nearby.

I'm wondering if perhaps they were talking about Luther Towers, and existing high rise for the elderly that is 13 stories, and The Edinburgh, a 12-story condo. The paragraph did start by mentioning that the new project would join several existing residential properties nearby.

Ah... I misunderstand an article once again. :blush: My bad. One tower joining the two that ARE already there. Three new towers at once would be a nice thought though.

Ah... I misunderstand an article once again. :blush: My bad. One tower joining the two that ARE already there. Three new towers at once would be a nice thought though.

Who knows? At the rate new projects are being announced all over town, it might not be long before another highrise appears in that area.

BTW - one set of towers in that area slated to come down in the next few years is the Richardson Towers dormitories at the UofM. There are plans to build the new School of Music building there.

I hate the style of dorms built in the 60s-80s

ugly ugly ugly. im almost glad richardson will go down.

Not really one of my favorites either. I lived there 2 years, so I guess there's a certain amount of nostalgia. But as a former band member, I'll be more happy to see the new music building go up.

Archived