Railroad Park

kayman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no idea whether tom leader studio will continue to be involved in the development of this project, but i hope so (if they don't get tired of the bham red tape). here's the link to his site:

http://www.tomleader.com

there is a synopsis of the landscape architect's role in analyzing the project, along with 14 or so renderings.

it's a flash site, so the simplest way to get to the railroad park section is to launch the site from the main (html) page, then navigate to projects --> current --> birmingham railroad reservation park.

god, what a great opportunity for bham to turn a dividing line into a unifying asset without beotchizing the railroad's historical significance. it'll be fun, evil, sad entertainment to watch them blow it (that IS a joke - i must look like such a defeatist. go birmingham!)

Edited by convulso

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Friday, October 6th a ceremony will be held with many of the areas top leaders. The groundbreaking ceremony will be held at 10AM at 18th Street and 1st Avenue. Everyone is welcome to attend. Finally glad to see this thing getting some legs under it.

Edited by Blazer85

The prospect of a October 2006 groundbreaking doesn't seem to jibe with the "Project Status Report" that the Mayor's office delivered Tuesday. The report indicates that, as of August 2006 we were still anticipating the following tasks toward completion of Phase I: Pre Design (Fall 2006), Schematic Design (late 2006-early 2007), Design Development (through mid 2007), Construction Documents (2nd half 2007) with a Bid awarded around New Years 2008. The schedule shows about a year for construction, with Phase 1 Complete sometime around January 2009.

The chart also shows a Property Acquisition Phase running through the 1st quarter of 2007 (I guess this might involve imminent domain for those 2 warehouses in the middle of the site) and Demolition running up until Fall 2007. A green bar showing "Capital Fund Raising Campaign" extends through 2007 as well. (Even though $12.5 million has been committed in public funds already)

Does anyone know if the boundaries of the park will contain the former location of the old Terminal building?

I've heard many in Birmingham say it was a terrible mistake to demolish that building. I've only seen a few pictures - it was gone years before I was born - but it did seem to be Birmingham's Grand Central Terminal. I'm unclear on exactly where it was located, but it might bear consideration one day of rebuilding it, either as a transit center, shopping facility, or sports arena.

Does anyone know if the boundaries of the park will contain the former location of the old Terminal building?

I've heard many in Birmingham say it was a terrible mistake to demolish that building. I've only seen a few pictures - it was gone years before I was born - but it did seem to be Birmingham's Grand Central Terminal. I'm unclear on exactly where it was located, but it might bear consideration one day of rebuilding it, either as a transit center, shopping facility, or sports arena.

The park's boundaries will come close to the former location of the Terminal Station, but as of now the Red Mountain Expressway runs directly on top of the site.

The park's boundaries will come close to the former location of the Terminal Station, but as of now the Red Mountain Expressway runs directly on top of the site.

In the future it will include that former Terminal Station site. The Railroad Park is to extend from I-65 all the way to Sloss Furnances once complete.

In the future it will include that former Terminal Station site. The Railroad Park is to extend from I-65 all the way to Sloss Furnances once complete.

Are you sure? Yes, the RR Park will extend along the Railroad Reservation, but the Terminal Station was on 5th Avenue North, 6 blocks away.

Are you sure? Yes, the RR Park will extend along the Railroad Reservation, but the Terminal Station was on 5th Avenue North, 6 blocks away.

The display of the entire proposa wasl online a couple of months back and I saw it on display also at RPC last year.

Edited by Leonard23

Landscape architect picked for RR park

It's apparent that the project is just in its planning process still as mentioned above. To be honest, I don't see the purpose of the groundbreaking of the project if actual construction won't begin until next year or early 2008. Oh yeah, Dystopos, it has been offically described to stretch from Titusville to Sloss Furnances.

The plans for the initial piece of the park is impressive, IMO.

The Initial Railroad Park plans

It calls for a pedestrian walkway over the railroad tracks, multiple points of entry from the street, an open park area for events, lake, and areas for the rain water that may cause flooding to runoff towards Village Creek.

The plans for the initial piece of the park is impressive, IMO.

The Initial Railroad Park plans

It calls for a pedestrian walkway over the railroad tracks, multiple points of entry from the street, an open park area for events, lake, and areas for the rain water that may cause flooding to runoff towards Village Creek.

I like the way that sounds. But, where are they going to find room to put in a lake??

I looked for a map online also but couldn't find one. Is there a map of the plans on the web?

The proposed lake is only about half city block. There are drawings of the conceptual design for the first phase at BhamWiki:Railroad Reservation Park.

I know that the overall plan extends from Titusville to Sloss, but the RR reservation follows an east-west corridor between Powell Ave to the south and Morris Avenue to the north. The former Terminal Building was at 5th Avenue north under the present Red Mountain Expressway - so if the park were to include that site (which I don't think has ever been shown) it would have to extend a leg north for five blocks around 26th Street.

A view of the entire proposed park, can be found in the City Center Master Plan update. (See p. 31) (48.5 MB PDF).