Railroad Park

kayman

I looked for a map online also but couldn't find one. Is there a map of the plans on the web?

There was an interactive one on the web a few months back. I remember seeing it b/c if you moved your mouse over the screen it showed the entire proposed length of the whole park.

There was an interactive one on the web a few months back. I remember seeing it b/c if you moved your mouse over the screen it showed the entire proposed length of the whole park.

There's not much to know. Take the Alice Furnace/Trinity Steel site and Sloss Furnaces along with its parking area, then connect them along the RR reservation, potentially including the parking lots between the tracks and Powell Ave, then drop in the vacant blocks between 14th and 18th which constitute Phase I. That's the plan. Some of it depends on acquiring private property. The entire proposed park is shown in the City Center Master Plan. The BhamWiki article details the history of the concept. The project was featured in last Saturday's Birmingham News. For more images, go to the Tom Leader Studio site http://www.tomleader.com/, then click on "Launch Site", then click on "Projects --> Current", then on "Birmingham Railroad Reservation Park"

There's not much to know. Take the Alice Furnace/Trinity Steel site and Sloss Furnaces along with its parking area, then connect them along the RR reservation, potentially including the parking lots between the tracks and Powell Ave, then drop in the vacant blocks between 14th and 18th which constitute Phase I. That's the plan. Some of it depends on acquiring private property. The entire proposed park is shown in the City Center Master Plan. The BhamWiki article details the history of the concept. The project was featured in last Saturday's Birmingham News. For more images, go to the Tom Leader Studio site http://www.tomleader.com/, then click on "Launch Site", then click on "Projects --> Current", then on "Birmingham Railroad Reservation Park"

Thanx, the place looks like it's gonna be awesome.

Thanks Bham Wiki, I checked the information on your wiki, very helpful. I confess I did not/do not have a really specific concept of "Titusville", I was imagining the park to extend waaaaaaay longer than currently planned, that being said, I'm excited about this project for Birmingham. The incidental benefits from this development will last for generations and are priceless (the good, expensive kind and the warm fuzzy kind.)

It will be interesting to see how UAB evolves around its "University Green" as well.

Thanks Bham Wiki, I checked the information on your wiki, very helpful. I confess I did not/do not have a really specific concept of "Titusville", I was imagining the park to extend waaaaaaay longer than currently planned, that being said, I'm excited about this project for Birmingham. The incidental benefits from this development will last for generations and are priceless (the good, expensive kind and the warm fuzzy kind.)

It will be interesting to see how UAB evolves around its "University Green" as well.

I think this could lead to a major downtown business explosion if managed properly. It'll spur more development in condos, filling the ones that are currently being built and already built, fills offices, corporations will be more encouraged to remain in town/downtown. This could actually reverse the current outflow of population if it works as well as we all hope. This is something major that could change the whole face, and maybe eventually the skyline of Bimingham.

• 2 months later...

How is this park coming along? I think this is such a cool idea! :thumbsup:

When I lived in the Ham, I lived in one of the lofts on Morris Ave. Many evenings I would sit on the rooftop deck and watch trains come and go. I could always tell the sound of the Amtrak.....it had a very distinctive horn/whistle.

So glad to see Birmingham wrapping it's arms around the history of the rails.....they had a lot to do with making Birmingham great! :)

How is this park coming along? I think this is such a cool idea! :thumbsup:

When I lived in the Ham, I lived in one of the lofts on Morris Ave. Many evenings I would sit on the rooftop deck and watch trains come and go. I could always tell the sound of the Amtrak.....it had a very distinctive horn/whistle.

So glad to see Birmingham wrapping it's arms around the history of the rails.....they had a lot to do with making Birmingham great! :)

The official groundbreaking ceremony has already occured, but the actual construction won't occur to the fall at the earliest. As already mentioned, Tom Leader Studio is handling all the planning of the 1st phase of the park.

• 4 months later...

The bond deal which was approved by the city council is a positive step towards this project (and many others). About $5-million from this bond deal will go towards construction of Phase I of the Railroad Park. The first phase will cost about $10-million. I think the county approved at least $2-million towards the project. In any event, the project planner said that some construction should begin this fall and that the approval of the this bond (and the $5-million for the park in particular) will certainly help in getting this project off the ground.

Do we know of any developments as far as residents, and business that want to build on the edge of the park once it is finished?

There are quite a number from what I've heard, actually. Many of them have been somewhat quiet and tight-lipped about their proposals, however, in favor of waiting for further action before announcing anything.

There are quite a number from what I've heard, actually. Many of them have been somewhat quiet and tight-lipped about their proposals, however, in favor of waiting for further action before announcing anything.

Yea, I can understand that. I just can't wait to see what that part of town will look like after the park is finished. Can you say major revival???

• 6 months later...

Mayor Larry Langford pledged an additional $5 million in city funds to the Railroad Reservation Park for earlier construction of an amphitheater. The Friends of the Railroad District have to raise an additional $5 million to match it, and the pledge still requires city council approval. The estimated cost of the first phase of the park without the amphitheater was $22 million, and adding the amphitheater raises the cost to $32 million. Langford said the park will have a second groundbreaking on January 2nd.

Birmingham News: Langford offers $5 million more to Railroad Reservation Park downtown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really hope that this, in addition to the condos, lofts, and nearby UAB, will help to bring a little bit of retail. I am yearning for a Borders(at least one in the area), Baskin Robbins/Coldstone, Publix/Trader Joe's and a Dave & Buster's/Jillians. The Container Store would be nice too...being that Little Rock has one. That's really all that I need. ^_^

Edited by bhamsly

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Work began today removing old cobblestone from the Railroad Park site. The cobblestone will be stored and later used in the park development. But this is big news because this is the first tangible sign of construction beginning. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before full construction begins. :thumbsup:

Work began today removing old cobblestone from the Railroad Park site. The cobblestone will be stored and later used in the park development. But this is big news because this is the first tangible sign of construction beginning. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before full construction begins. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update, Blazer85. :good: Good to hear that the old cobblestones will be reused in the park. The plan images on the park website look a little different than the ones that have been on Tom Leader's site for a while. Does anyone have a complete set of the most recent site plan and renderings?

So, is the lake picture just a blown up picture from the 2 picture? Or is it on the same scale as the second picture just too big to fit into the second?

The bottom one fits to the right of the top one, but the two combined don't make up the entire site plan.

The bottom one fits to the right of the top one, but the two combined don't make up the entire site plan.

OH WOW!! That lake is gonna be HUGE! I know this is asking a whole lot, but could someone make up a map from like Google Earth or something for the park. Like, and segment it into the stages, what's being built now and what's being built later. My map editing skills are very very.......terrible I guess would be the best word...