Railroad Park

kayman

^ Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the park itself will initially cover about 8 city blocks -- 4 blocks long and 2 blocks wide. There's an obsolete version of the complete conceptual plan at this link (click on it to enlarge), but when you look at it you can tell how the newer images evolved from this.

^ Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the park itself will initially cover about 8 city blocks -- 4 blocks long and 2 blocks wide. There's an obsolete version of the complete conceptual plan at this link (click on it to enlarge), but when you look at it you can tell how the newer images evolved from this.

I'm not exactly sure if it is 2 blocks wide as the "blocks" that exist on either side of the old Powell Avenue would be actually 2 blocks. However, that is just my opinion, and it actually might be 2 blocks wide.

OH WOW!! That lake is gonna be HUGE! I know this is asking a whole lot, but could someone make up a map from like Google Earth or something for the park. Like, and segment it into the stages, what's being built now and what's being built later. My map editing skills are very very.......terrible I guess would be the best word...

I tried. I overlaid the Phase I renderings over the aerial view of Birmingham as best I could in Google Earth. have no idea if I got the scale right, and may even have messed up the proportions. Here's a partial screenshot: 2398387593_bc23d2d85c_o.png

And here's a link to what it looks like on Google Maps (looks like the rotated images didn't make the trip...)

Note: Later phases would continue the concept, presumably in much narrower strips, parallel to the railroad tracks as far as Titusville and Sloss Furnaces. Further linear additions may also continue the pathway to connect to other greenways in eastern and western Birmingham. For background on the project, see Bhamwiki:Railroad Park

• 5 weeks later...

Activists say park railroads the homeless

Although the Railroad Park is one of the many beacons for the city's revitalization, but the construction park has sparked controversy amongst the area's pastors that saying that the homeless is being mistreated by the authorities. The notion is that the police is using the excessive force to remove the homeless from the area while the land is being cleared for the park.

Activists say park railroads the homeless

Although the Railroad Park is one of the many beacons for the city's revitalization, but the construction park has sparked controversy amongst the area's pastors that saying that the homeless is being mistreated by the authorities. The notion is that the police is using the excessive force to remove the homeless from the area while the land is being cleared for the park.

Ok, I am truly sorry that the homeless are being forced from there "homes," they kinda give the area a bad look. The city as provided homeless shelters, am I mistaken, so the city is trying to help them out. They(the homeless) have already taken much refuge in Kelly Igram Park downtown...this should not turn out to be the same way. I don't think that I would want to be bothered with them when I am just relaxing in the park(maybe I should say panhandlers), or eating at the floating restaurant. Hopefully something could be done that will allow all parties to be happy.

Ok, I am truly sorry that the homeless are being forced from there "homes," they kinda give the area a bad look. The city as provided homeless shelters, am I mistaken, so the city is trying to help them out. They(the homeless) have already taken much refuge in Kelly Igram Park downtown...this should not turn out to be the same way. I don't think that I would want to be bothered with them when I am just relaxing in the park(maybe I should say panhandlers), or eating at the floating restaurant. Hopefully something could be done that will allow all parties to be happy.

I agree they have been provide quite a bit of shelters, but many of them are too stubborn or have too much pride to go to them. Its not only Kelly Ingram Park, Linn Park is also dealing with this problem. It's so bad at Linn Park that most gov't employees or other City Center workers don't even like going through the park. at all BPD does need to step up and get this problems under control because it seems to be impeding the progressive and safe image of the City Center.

I agree they have been provide quite a bit of shelters, but many of them are too stubborn or have too much pride to go to them. Its not only Kelly Ingram Park, Linn Park is also dealing with this problem. It's so bad at Linn Park that most gov't employees or other City Center workers don't even like going through the park. at all BPD does need to step up and get this problems under control because it seems to be impeding the progressive and safe image of the City Center.

Linn park is crowded with homeless.. it's pretty insane! There were dozens of them the other night in a group... made me feel a little uneasy... but, I talked to a couple of guys.. they seemed nice I gave em a couple of dollars.. they said they were going to rallys haha I wonder if thats where it went?

• 2 months later...

Well, it turns out that there was a reason why work in the past 4 weeks has been extraordinarily slowed on the development of the Park's initially grading and ground work. It is associated with a cease-and-desist order that was issued by the lawyers of the Norfolk-Southern, who owns the tracks that separates Downtown from Southside. However, at the Operation New Birmingham Breakfast, held yesterday morning there was news delivered by Tom Leader Studios, the park's designers, and Bradley Visioneering, the park's engineering firm, that the issue is close to being resolved with work commencing immediately. Brassfield & Gorrie is the firm is that handling the actual construction of the park.

• 4 months later...

Well, it turns out that there was a reason why work in the past 4 weeks has been extraordinarily slowed on the development of the Park's initially grading and ground work. It is associated with a cease-and-desist order that was issued by the lawyers of the Norfolk-Southern, who owns the tracks that separates Downtown from Southside.

Update: Mayor Langford had the park redesigned around the disputed Norfolk Southern property and groundbreaking for construction is planned for January 2009. A ceremonial groundbreaking was held earlier, but this time it should be the real deal.

Langford declares month of groundbreakings

• 5 months later...

One other upside that I seem to be hearing from event promoters is that the amphitheater at the Railroad Park will provide a centralized space in the region for more musical events aside from City Stages and Schaffers' Crawfish Boil. Hopefully, this will be like Chastain Park outdoor concert venue in Atlanta that does attract quite a number of major artists for outdoor concerts. This could be a huge boon for the everyone always saying there aren't many places aside from the Verizon Music Center in Pelham for outdoor concerts.

• 2 years later...

The new Railroad Park has been open since last September and has become a great success. There were dozens of people there on a recent Sunday afternoon - people from all walks of life. I snapped a couple of quick pictures, but to really to see the size and features of the park check out the gallery link below.

Visitor photos link: Flickr gallery

RailroadPark_01.jpg

RailroadPark_02.jpg

• 12 years later...

really like this Railroad Park and it has really spurred a lot of new apartments and activity nearby.   Also some photos of the Regions Field across from the park and some of the neighborhing apartment complexes.   This area reminds me of a neighborhood in Charlotte called Southend.  

20231101_120615 - Copy.jpg

20231101_120615.jpg

20231101_120647 - Copy.jpg

20231101_120900.jpg

20231101_120902.jpg

20231101_120922.jpg

20231101_120957.jpg

20231101_121111.jpg

20231101_121156.jpg

20231101_121258.jpg

20231101_121345.jpg

20231101_121348.jpg