East Joyce Developments in Fayetteville

Mith242

I'm pretty sure this may have been mentioned already. But it looks like there will be a Bassett Furniture Direct store to open in the CMN Business Park. I haven't heard details on it's specific location. The only other Bassett store in the state is in Little Rock.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure this may have been mentioned already. But it looks like there will be a Bassett Furniture Direct store to open in the CMN Business Park. I haven't heard details on it's specific location. The only other Bassett store in the state is in Little Rock.

The Bassett is already under construction and it is located just west of the Target shopping center. It is on Steele Blvd. Also in the same area there seem to be quite a few things going on. A little farther north is a pretty good sized 3 or 4 story building, it looks like a office building, but I am not 100% sure. Then back on the east side of Steele as you head northward is a sign saying something about a Major shopping center coming soon. Then on the SE corner of Joyce and Steele is where they are going to build the new Malco Theater. There is a sign saying coming in 2007, but for some reason they put the sign about as far from the road as possible so it is a little hard to read.

The Bassett is already under construction and it is located just west of the Target shopping center. It is on Steele Blvd. Also in the same area there seem to be quite a few things going on. A little farther north is a pretty good sized 3 or 4 story building, it looks like a office building, but I am not 100% sure. Then back on the east side of Steele as you head northward is a sign saying something about a Major shopping center coming soon. Then on the SE corner of Joyce and Steele is where they are going to build the new Malco Theater. There is a sign saying coming in 2007, but for some reason they put the sign about as far from the road as possible so it is a little hard to read.

Thanks for the info, you've obviously driven by there more recently than I have. I do believe that you are right about that building being an office building.

I keep forgetting to mention this. A little west of the main area of discussion but several days ago I was on my way to Best Buy and I saw a sign up just north of the Olive Garden. I'm pretty sure it said something about a Marriott hotel going up there. Anyone heard anything about this?

Any idea on the brand of Mariott?

It's not a Fairfield Inn, because there's one on Millsap Rd. Sounds like it could be a Residence Inn, I thought I remembered hearing about one going into Fayetteville. There's also Courtyard, Townplace Suites, and Springhill Suites.

It has been a few years now, but I did hear about a Hilton Garden Inn going in around that area. I don't know if the developers just changed brands or if there will be more than one hotel eventually. Also, does anyone know what is being built just across Mall ave from Noodles?

Any idea on the brand of Mariott?

It's not a Fairfield Inn, because there's one on Millsap Rd. Sounds like it could be a Residence Inn, I thought I remembered hearing about one going into Fayetteville. There's also Courtyard, Townplace Suites, and Springhill Suites.

Courtyard, that's it. I couldn't remember which it was this morning. Although I admit I don't know all the differences between them.

It has been a few years now, but I did hear about a Hilton Garden Inn going in around that area. I don't know if the developers just changed brands or if there will be more than one hotel eventually. Also, does anyone know what is being built just across Mall ave from Noodles?

I don't I've heard what's going there yet either. So far all the offices have been going to the more western part of that area.

Until they change some things about the Fulbright Expressway that intersection is going to remain pretty bad. The Dover-Kohl urban design team mentioned that in many ways the Expressway acted like a wall. I think the northern part in particular. It cuts off so much north-south traffic and funnels it over to the Joyce-College intersection. But anyway back on topic here. I'm really looking forward to this new development.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to Dixie Development's site. It has some pictures of most of their projects in Fayetteville as well as all of NW Arkansas. Many of there projects are on and around Joyce Blvd.

Also, we had had a discussion of what was going on across from Noodles on Mall Avenue (just behind Bed Bath and Beyond). It looks like it is called Creekside Center and it is just going to be a retail center. Pictures are available on Dixie's website.

Dixie Development

The Barber Group held a very large ground breaking on Bellafont this morning. When I drove by, it looked like there were 50-100 people in attendance. They have also put a sign up on the property showing the picture of the development. Althought it is just the same picture from the website. Most news stations have covered it this evening. They are hoping to have the office space available as soon as early next year, and the residences by fall of 07. I can't wait to see them start putting the steel up on the 2 - 12 story offices and 2 - 16 story condo towers.

Mayor Coody even spoke in support of the development during the event. It seemed like they had little or no opposition on this project. I guessing that is becuase it is not downtown.

Yeah it's funny how no one complained about this development at all.

Here is a link to Dixie Development's site. It has some pictures of most of their projects in Fayetteville as well as all of NW Arkansas. Many of there projects are on and around Joyce Blvd.

Also, we had had a discussion of what was going on across from Noodles on Mall Avenue (just behind Bed Bath and Beyond). It looks like it is called Creekside Center and it is just going to be a retail center. Pictures are available on Dixie's website.

Dixie Development

Thanks for all the info. I've checked their website out before but I guess they've myst have updated it. I just wish they'd put some bigger pictures in, you can't make anything out with those little ones.

Welcome to the forum. I know what building you're talking about. I thought someone mentioned once what was going on there. Maybe one of our Benton County forumers can elighten us again about it.

I also agree on the Bellafont development, it does look like a nice looking development. I can understand people arguing about not wanting Fayetteville to become a Little Rock and such to a certain degree. I just think these building height limits are set way too low. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't see having 10-20 story buildings 'ruining' the city. I still think the city needs to grow upward to some degree to keep some sprawl in check. Just my opinion.

I agree. 10-20 stories isn't a problem or an eyesore when built and located properly, and with the amount of "stretch" that Fayetteville already has, I agree about needing some height to keep sprawl in check. The area is going to continue to grow, it's probably going to get bigger and taller than the ones who liked it the way it was will ever be happy with, but we can't stop people from moving here, and I disagree with those that would not encourage growth, so since things are going to grow, we might as well be realistic and try to plan for the growth. And that unquestionably is going to lead to taller buildings.

I agree. 10-20 stories isn't a problem or an eyesore when built and located properly, and with the amount of "stretch" that Fayetteville already has, I agree about needing some height to keep sprawl in check. The area is going to continue to grow, it's probably going to get bigger and taller than the ones who liked it the way it was will ever be happy with, but we can't stop people from moving here, and I disagree with those that would not encourage growth, so since things are going to grow, we might as well be realistic and try to plan for the growth. And that unquestionably is going to lead to taller buildings.

Yeah I think there are people in Fayetteville that seem to have the idea that they can keep things the way they are and simply implement zero growth and push it to the other NWA cities. That just doesn't seem realistic to me. I think there should be some way to compromise, allow growth but manage it and not try to make Fayetteville the next Dallas or something.

Not trying to be nosey but just out of curiousity which part of NWA do you live Thewizard16?

Yeah I think there are people in Fayetteville that seem to have the idea that they can keep things the way they are and simply implement zero growth and push it to the other NWA cities. That just doesn't seem realistic to me. I think there should be some way to compromise, allow growth but manage it and not try to make Fayetteville the next Dallas or something.

I never understood this mentality, but it's in a lot of places. In Mountain Home (if you're not familiar with it, it's about 3 hours east of here, an hour past Harrison) people have been very upset because there are a lot (I would say almost equal to NWA, if reduced to the scale of Mtn. Home, which is 12,000 people) of new housing developments and commercial centers being built. There were even editorials where some retirees that live in the area (they used to be the predominant population there, but not quite as much anymore) were complaining about people moving to the area. That's the most selfish thing I can think of, that they feel they should be able to live there and others shouldn't just because it means a little more traffic, or more commerce, or developments extending farther out into the "country (there, it just means it's too hilly to develop, not that it's really country)" than before. Mountain Home is small enough that everything right now is growing in the form of sprawling, and I imagine it will for some time. I agree with the idea of compromise. It's not fair to tell people they can't move here because some existing residents decided we've grown enough, the best we can do is try to manage the growth so that it doesn't ruin the atmosphere or beauty of the area, and try to keep it organized at the same time.. nobody wants to end up like Houston. Worst city layout I've ever had the unpleasantry of experiencing.

EDIT: No problem at all, I'm in Fayetteville, downtown-ish.

I never understood this mentality, but it's in a lot of places. In Mountain Home (if you're not familiar with it, it's about 3 hours east of here, an hour past Harrison) people have been very upset because there are a lot (I would say almost equal to NWA, if reduced to the scale of Mtn. Home, which is 12,000 people) of new housing developments and commercial centers being built. There were even editorials where some retirees that live in the area (they used to be the predominant population there, but not quite as much anymore) were complaining about people moving to the area. That's the most selfish thing I can think of, that they feel they should be able to live there and others shouldn't just because it means a little more traffic, or more commerce, or developments extending farther out into the "country (there, it just means it's too hilly to develop, not that it's really country)" than before. Mountain Home is small enough that everything right now is growing in the form of sprawling, and I imagine it will for some time. I agree with the idea of compromise. It's not fair to tell people they can't move here because some existing residents decided we've grown enough, the best we can do is try to manage the growth so that it doesn't ruin the atmosphere or beauty of the area, and try to keep it organized at the same time.. nobody wants to end up like Houston. Worst city layout I've ever had the unpleasantry of experiencing.

EDIT: No problem at all, I'm in Fayetteville, downtown-ish.

Yeah it is somewhat funny someone moves to some 'unspoiled' area and then think that no one else can move in after they're there. I hadn't realized this was also a problem over in Mountain Home. But I do know that area has been really growing with retirees.

I figured you were from Fayetteville, but I thought I'd ask and make sure. :D

Yeah it is somewhat funny someone moves to some 'unpoiled' area and then think that no one else can move in after they're there. I hadn't realized this was also a problem over in Mountain Home. But I do know that area has been really growing with retirees.

I figured you were from Fayetteville, but I thought I'd ask and make sure. :D

I'm not sure what the breakdown is exactly, but more of Mtn. Home's new growth appears to be younger people (families) than before. I know there's still quite a retirement draw to the area, but their schools have been having record class sizes and the average age has dropped, so I guess it's not all retirees anymore.

I think perhaps people have finally gotten realistic. Northwest Arkansas is growing at an extremely brisk pace, and any area that is developing into a higher-density population metro area is going to have some bigger buildings. There's no point in trying to complain or oppose everything that goes over 6 or 7 stories because it's bigger than things next to it, because eventually (or around here, in not too long) there are going to be an increasing number of large buildings. It's going to change the way things look, but that's inevitable. I think the Bellafont development is great because it's a very nice looking complex, but also will be the first large-scale office space area in Fayetteville.

I can somewhat understand people complaining about the Divinity Project just because of how large of a building they're trying to pack onto that little space, but also because of how it will stick out. That, and the renderings looked somewhat ugly.

On a related commercial note, does anyone know what that big black office building that's for lease on I-540 around Rogers is planned for or who it was built by? It looks like it's kindof off on it's own on there interstate there, but it appears to be brand new, and it doesn't look like there are any occupants yet.

By the way, I'm new to the forums, so hello everyone.

Yes, welcome to Urban Planet, TheWizard16, and thanks for your input. I as well as many others on here can completely agree with you on this topic. I have been complaining about the city's height ordinance since the beginning. They don't like sprawl because of the strain it puts on infrastructure, but then they put height limits on downtown buildings. It makes no since to anyone. I have no problem with 20+ story buildings, it is what any city in the world has. Architecture is an artform, whether it is a house or skyscraper.

At least Bellafont has some how slipped through the cracks and will be built. I guess because it is not downtown in a historic district. I do see some form of the Divinity building going through eventually. I don't know if it will be the full 185 feet, but I hope it is close. Hopefully within the next planning commission.

Yes, welcome to Urban Planet, TheWizard16, and thanks for your input. I as well as many others on here can completely agree with you on this topic. I have been complaining about the city's height ordinance since the beginning. They don't like sprawl because of the strain it puts on infrastructure, but then they put height limits on downtown buildings. It makes no since to anyone. I have no problem with 20+ story buildings, it is what any city in the world has. Architecture is an artform, whether it is a house or skyscraper.

At least Bellafont has some how slipped through the cracks and will be built. I guess because it is not downtown in a historic district. I do see some form of the Divinity building going through eventually. I don't know if it will be the full 185 feet, but I hope it is close. Hopefully within the next planning commission.

Thank you (and mith as well, since I never said it) for the welcome. I'm sure that the Divinity project will be built in some form or fashion, but I fear they'll not allow it at the current height, just as I was sure it wouldn't be approved at it's initial height. Realistically, I don't think the Divinity Project has an ideal location for such a building, but as there is a lack of easily developable space in the central downtown area to build something like that, I can understand them wanting to do it along Dickson. I think it it were down the hill a bit farther there wouldn't have been as many complaints about it sticking out, but on the hill, away from the other tall downtown buildings (Radisson, the soon-to-be Renaissance Tower, federal building, that run-down looking residential building) and not close to the other buildings of somewhat comparable heights (the soon-to-be Lofts at Underwood, the Legacy building, etc.), it really will look odd. That, and the styling of the building doesn't blend whatsoever with the Dickson street atmosphere. I like the idea of the Divinity Project, I liked it at it's original height, but I think unless there's even a possibility of buildings of similar heights being built near there (which I don't forsee in the near future) there won't be much support for the Divinity Project.

Thank you (and mith as well, since I never said it) for the welcome. I'm sure that the Divinity project will be built in some form or fashion, but I fear they'll not allow it at the current height, just as I was sure it wouldn't be approved at it's initial height. Realistically, I don't think the Divinity Project has an ideal location for such a building, but as there is a lack of easily developable space in the central downtown area to build something like that, I can understand them wanting to do it along Dickson. I think it it were down the hill a bit farther there wouldn't have been as many complaints about it sticking out, but on the hill, away from the other tall downtown buildings (Radisson, the soon-to-be Renaissance Tower, federal building, that run-down looking residential building) and not close to the other buildings of somewhat comparable heights (the soon-to-be Lofts at Underwood, the Legacy building, etc.), it really will look odd. That, and the styling of the building doesn't blend whatsoever with the Dickson street atmosphere. I like the idea of the Divinity Project, I liked it at it's original height, but I think unless there's even a possibility of buildings of similar heights being built near there (which I don't forsee in the near future) there won't be much support for the Divinity Project.

I think that this is exactly the kind of project we need there, I agree maybe some redesign would be perfectly fine. But you have to look into the future. This could and will be the cornerstone of the connection of Dickson street to the square. Once this building is finished, more and more development will occur southward toward the square along block street. This will provide a ped. safe connection between the two points. With more bars, restaurants, and residences comes more connectivity and safety for walkers and club goers.

I think that this is exactly the kind of project we need there, I agree maybe some redesign would be perfectly fine. But you have to look into the future. This could and will be the cornerstone of the connection of Dickson street to the square. Once this building is finished, more and more development will occur southward toward the square along block street. This will provide a ped. safe connection between the two points. With more bars, restaurants, and residences comes more connectivity and safety for walkers and club goers.

I think it's a good idea, but I don't see there being a lot of new development along block street in the near future. I also think that historical building issues might arise with some of the houses etc. in that area, were any larger developments to be attempted. I agree about looking to the future, and while I still like the idea of the Divinity Project (though I think the styling could be more Dickson-friendly), I don't think it's going to get much more support while the styling remains like it is and the height remains so far above the norm.

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered something. Getting back to Joyce, has anyone heard of planned road improvements in that area? The current Joyce College intersection is incredibly frustrating, especially if you're coming from the south and want to get to I-540... not only is it dangerous, it can take forever. At any rate, with the increased traffic (and increased difficulty to turn across to head to 540) that the Bellafont project and following projects are sure to cause, has anyone heard any plans of redoing that side of the intersection, or making improvements to Joyce in general?

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered something. Getting back to Joyce, has anyone heard of planned road improvements in that area? The current Joyce College intersection is incredibly frustrating, especially if you're coming from the south and want to get to I-540... not only is it dangerous, it can take forever. At any rate, with the increased traffic (and increased difficulty to turn across to head to 540) that the Bellafont project and following projects are sure to cause, has anyone heard any plans of redoing that side of the intersection, or making improvements to Joyce in general?

The Barber Group is going to make some improvements to Joyce for sure. I think they will add a turn lane (which is REALLY needed) as well as a light at joyce/Vantage. They will also be improving some of the surrounding streets. Joyce and College will probably just get worse. I come through that intersection 4 or 5 times per day and know how bad it gets. It is still worth it though, I guess we will see what happens.

The Barber Group is going to make some improvements to Joyce for sure. I think they will add a turn lane (which is REALLY needed) as well as a light at joyce/Vantage. They will also be improving some of the surrounding streets. Joyce and College will probably just get worse. I come through that intersection 4 or 5 times per day and know how bad it gets. It is still worth it though, I guess we will see what happens.

If all their investments work out, the Barber group is pretty much going to be thought of as the firm that redefinied Fayetteville. AMA is doing their part too, but Barber has a lot going at once.

Archived