East Joyce Developments in Fayetteville

Mith242

If all their investments work out, the Barber group is pretty much going to be thought of as the firm that redefinied Fayetteville. AMA is doing their part too, but Barber has a lot going at once.

Yeah overall I've been pretty happy with the Barber Group's developments. Like you said AMA and others haven't bene bad either. But the Barber Group really seem to be moving at a much faster rate.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered something. Getting back to Joyce, has anyone heard of planned road improvements in that area? The current Joyce College intersection is incredibly frustrating, especially if you're coming from the south and want to get to I-540... not only is it dangerous, it can take forever. At any rate, with the increased traffic (and increased difficulty to turn across to head to 540) that the Bellafont project and following projects are sure to cause, has anyone heard any plans of redoing that side of the intersection, or making improvements to Joyce in general?

No specific projects are planned for the Joyce/College intersection... yet.

There is, however, federal ear-marked funds (dubbed "pork-barrel money" by some) for something called the "North Fayetteville Economic Development Corridor" or some such. My understanding is that Fayetteville is in the process of hiring a consultant to do a traffic study in the area to figure out how to spend that. Their current transportation bond program (phase 1) includes this "project".

So bottom line, as far as Joyce/College goes, I bet Fayetteville will end up spending money to somehow relieve that bottleneck in the near future. What that improvement will be, no one knows just yet.

No specific projects are planned for the Joyce/College intersection... yet.

There is, however, federal ear-marked funds (dubbed "pork-barrel money" by some) for something called the "North Fayetteville Economic Development Corridor" or some such. My understanding is that Fayetteville is in the process of hiring a consultant to do a traffic study in the area to figure out how to spend that. Their current transportation bond program (phase 1) includes this "project".

So bottom line, as far as Joyce/College goes, I bet Fayetteville will end up spending money to somehow relieve that bottleneck in the near future. What that improvement will be, no one knows just yet.

Do you think this could possibly have anything to do with some people's views on trying to integrate a street grid back onto the northern part of the Fulbright Expressway?

Do you think this could possibly have anything to do with some people's views on trying to integrate a street grid back onto the northern part of the Fulbright Expressway?

Ohhhh, I'm sure some of the stuff those consultants Fayetteville hired (I forget the consultants names) were exactly what certain people in Fayetteville wanted to hear.

There are dreamers... then there are realists. The City of Fayetteville, I think, has its fair share of the former.

They can't tackle the problem by themselves. Granted, the problem is pretty complex, so it obviously deserves a thorough study. It's easy to say "make it a grid" and think voila, problem will be solved. But I'm 99.9% confident this will require professionals with expertise in this field to do a thorough analysis.

Fayetteville always had ideas for improving Joyce/College-- they've been talking about a "fly-over" (to eliminate that U-turn) for as long as I can remember growing up there. After those consultants, the City I think wants to seriously look at other options. If it takes a progressive and innovative solution, I'm all for it... if it's realistic.

I guess to address your question directly, you would need to elaborate on what you mean by a "street grid". I think I've read some of those consultants take on their "grid" idea... I wasn't impressed. Talking about fuzzy planning recommendations and talking about specific solutions to specific engineering problems are somewhat different animals. They can integrate, and mingle, and work together, but they must be realistic.

Ohhhh, I'm sure some of the stuff those consultants Fayetteville hired (I forget the consultants names) were exactly what certain people in Fayetteville wanted to hear.

There are dreamers... then there are realists. The City of Fayetteville, I think, has its fair share of the former.

They can't tackle the problem by themselves. Granted, the problem is pretty complex, so it obviously deserves a thorough study. It's easy to say "make it a grid" and think voila, problem will be solved. But I'm 99.9% confident this will require professionals with expertise in this field to do a thorough analysis.

Fayetteville always had ideas for improving Joyce/College-- they've been talking about a "fly-over" (to eliminate that U-turn) for as long as I can remember growing up there. After those consultants, the City I think wants to seriously look at other options. If it takes a progressive and innovative solution, I'm all for it... if it's realistic.

I guess to address your question directly, you would need to elaborate on what you mean by a "street grid". I think I've read some of those consultants take on their "grid" idea... I wasn't impressed. Talking about fuzzy planning recommendations and talking about specific solutions to specific engineering problems are somewhat different animals. They can integrate, and mingle, and work together, but they must be realistic.

I heard that not too long ago Fayetteville brought in some planners from St. Petersburg, FL to consult them about a "street grid". St. Petersburg has one of the nicest street grids of any city I've lived in. In fact they have so many streets that the city is now facing a shortage of developable land so the city wants to eliminate some less travelled streets. Essentially, St. Petersburg, FL shares the same urban land area as NWA, but there are over a million people living in St. Petersburg. Their street grid is very effective, but totally unrealistic for NWA. Fayetteville is very hilly and will just have to settle for some other means of transportation because a great street grid is unattainable.

^ Yep, that's part of it. For example, wouldn't it be nice if Fayetteville could extend their grid over the eastern half of the city... except that Mt. Sequyoah is in the way, and they've fought any road connection over that mountain for I don't know how long.

Also, I remember Fayetteville's good idea to extend Township to connect to Hwy 45 to the east. Very logical, sound idea, and does reflect in a way a "grid pattern". Except, to my understanding, citizens in that area fought it, so now the road basically dead-ends in a subdivision. "Grid pattern" concept struck down again.

I'm sure there are other examples I can't think of right now...

I know the odd roads throw people off but I like the fact that Fayetteville isn't all laid out as a grid system. I think it helps add to part of Fayetteville's uniqueness. Although I know it certainly helps confuse the new people that move in.

I know the odd roads throw people off but I like the fact that Fayetteville isn't all laid out as a grid system. I think it helps add to part of Fayetteville's uniqueness. Although I know it certainly helps confuse the new people that move in.

Depending on where they're going, it can make giving directions interesting too. I don't mind the roads not being gridded, I just wish that the whole 71/71B/I-540 intersection wasn't like it was. It can be very difficult to tell someone who isn't from here how to get through there to go to anywhere specific when you're talking to them on their cell phone as they come into town...

Depending on where they're going, it can make giving directions interesting too. I don't mind the roads not being gridded, I just wish that the whole 71/71B/I-540 intersection wasn't like it was. It can be very difficult to tell someone who isn't from here how to get through there to go to anywhere specific when you're talking to them on their cell phone as they come into town...

Yeah it's certainly hard on new people. But I certainly agree with you on how the 71/I-540 situation here in Fayetteville. I think if they ever get something done with the Fulbright Expressway that it will make traffic a lot better in that area of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Another office building planned on East Joyce. This is going to be just a 2 story building on the back of the Proctor & Gamble property. I guess they will eventually be putting more buildings on the lot in the future along with a new building for P&G. This is located between Regions Bank and First Security Bank and directly across from Bellafont.

Here is the article from the Times:

East Joyce Office

Another office building planned on East Joyce. This is going to be just a 2 story building on the back of the Proctor & Gamble property. I guess they will eventually be putting more buildings on the lot in the future along with a new building for P&G. This is located between Regions Bank and First Security Bank and directly across from Bellafont.

Here is the article from the Times:

East Joyce Office

Yeah only two stories. I had hoped for something a bit taller near the Bellafont development. My question is, is P&G still going over there? I sorta read it as that P&G was selling their land to this new developer.

Yeah only two stories. I had hoped for something a bit taller near the Bellafont development. My question is, is P&G still going over there? I sorta read it as that P&G was selling their land to this new developer.

I read it as they were just selling part of their land for this development, but I could be wrong. I really hope they don't decide to move to Benton county or something like that.

I read it as they were just selling part of their land for this development, but I could be wrong. I really hope they don't decide to move to Benton county or something like that.

Yeah when I was wondering if that might be the case when I got the impression they may have sold all their land there. P&G seems to be one of the few big vendors that have stayed down here instead of relocating in Benton County.

Yeah when I was wondering if that might be the case when I got the impression they may have sold all their land there. P&G seems to be one of the few big vendors that have stayed down here instead of relocating in Benton County.

Exactly, I don't want anyone else leaving Fayetteville especially P&G. I do think that it is going to be more of an office park development in the end, with P&G being the largest building. They only need so much room to put a tall structure. The rest of the land could simply be smaller office buildings and parking areas.

Exactly, I don't want anyone else leaving Fayetteville especially P&G. I do think that it is going to be more of an office park development in the end, with P&G being the largest building. They only need so much room to put a tall structure. The rest of the land could simply be smaller office buildings and parking areas.

Hopefully some more news will come out on this. I was thinking the article said something about that P&G wouldn't comment about this new development or something along those lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Work is really progressing on the Bellafont project. There are dozens of trucks and dozers on the site everyday it seems like.

Just down the street, the Dixie Development projects are coming along quickly. Nelson's crossing placed the final beam today in a topping out ceremony. Then further east on Joyce, Commerce Park II has the first 2 stories of the steel frame completed.

Here is the project camera for the site:

Commerce Park II

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everything is progressing quickly on East Joyce. Bellafont is not far from getting building going. They have most of the dirt work well underway. I can't wait to see the taller structures start to rise.

Just across the street, work is underway on the new P&G campus. I don't have any clue what it will consist of yet. But groundwork is starting. I also noticed something going on just slightly further east (still across from Bellafont and the Post Office). I believe Barber owns the land and something has started going in there. This area is just between Regions and Chambers banks. Hopefully someone will have heard something on it.

Everything is progressing quickly on East Joyce. Bellafont is not far from getting building going. They have most of the dirt work well underway. I can't wait to see the taller structures start to rise.

Just across the street, work is underway on the new P&G campus. I don't have any clue what it will consist of yet. But groundwork is starting. I also noticed something going on just slightly further east (still across from Bellafont and the Post Office). I believe Barber owns the land and something has started going in there. This area is just between Regions and Chambers banks. Hopefully someone will have heard something on it.

I remember the banks, not sure if I remember hearing about anything else that hasn't been mentioned already.

I think this is the area you were referring to. I was out this morning taking a few pics over around Joyce.

merge21cssfu4.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the new Lindsey Building. Not sure how much more they need to do inside or if they've already started moving their offices. I did notice they moved the stature they had near the pond and fountain from their old offices across the street.

img3963ssho3.jpg

img3988ssau1.jpg

Archived