East Joyce Developments in Fayetteville

Mith242

That's the area I walked by that had the sign for the Planning Commission. I saw you editing your post after I had posted mine. I'm very curious to see what other plans the Barber Group might have for that area.

Yeah, I am too Rod. I just can't believe we have not heard at least something on it by now. It must not been too impressive if we have not heard at least some good rumors... :D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I am too Rod. I just can't believe we have not heard at least something on it by now. It must not been too impressive if we have not heard at least some good rumors... :D

True, it does make you wonder if it's just going to end up being some sort of strip mall or something. especially since no rumors have been floating around like you said. But who knows. We shouldn't have to wait too long before we start hearing a little more about it.

True, it does make you wonder if it's just going to end up being some sort of strip mall or something. especially since no rumors have been floating around like you said. But who knows. We shouldn't have to wait too long before we start hearing a little more about it.

Well, Bellafont I will probably be an upscale strip mall for a while until/if they actually add those towers in there. Although, I have a good feeling at least some office space added will be a no brainer.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone catch the Business Matters section of the Times on Sunday? They had some pretty good updates on Joyce Blvd and developments. They said that the retail village portion of Bellafont has preleased up to 45% of the available space and the first office tower was preleased over 50% now. They hope to get started on it as soon as the engineering gets finished.

I believe they said that the land across from Bellafont that Barber owns was going to be called Bellafont Office Park. There are already plans for Arvest, and a Bank of the Ozarks, as well as many 2 story office buildings.

Did anyone catch the Business Matters section of the Times on Sunday? They had some pretty good updates on Joyce Blvd and developments. They said that the retail village portion of Bellafont has preleased up to 45% of the available space and the first office tower was preleased over 50% now. They hope to get started on it as soon as the engineering gets finished.

I believe they said that the land across from Bellafont that Barber owns was going to be called Bellafont Office Park. There are already plans for Arvest, and a Bank of the Ozarks, as well as many 2 story office buildings.

Thanks for the update. :D

• 3 months later...

This is actually more of the western side of Joyce but I believe Guitar Center has opened up in the new shopping center north of the new Malco Theater.

Wow, guess I hadn't noticed that shopping center was open yet. Guess I was too busy looking at the new Malco or looking up at the future Shogun.

• 3 weeks later...

This is just off of Joyce so I thought that I would put it here. THe former Fire Mountain restaurant will be getting new life again soon but as something else. Planning Commission approved what is called the Spring Park large scale development for the site. It will be a mixed use project adding more commercial and retail space along with renovating the former restaurant. It is great to see one of these closed restaurants getting new life so soon.

The commission also approved a Liberty Bank for the corner of Vantage and East Joyce (between the Post office and Bellafont). I am not sure if it is just a branch or a main office though.

This is just off of Joyce so I thought that I would put it here. THe former Fire Mountain restaurant will be getting new life again soon but as something else. Planning Commission approved what is called the Spring Park large scale development for the site. It will be a mixed use project adding more commercial and retail space along with renovating the former restaurant. It is great to see one of these closed restaurants getting new life so soon.

The commission also approved a Liberty Bank for the corner of Vantage and East Joyce (between the Post office and Bellafont). I am not sure if it is just a branch or a main office though.

I've always thought they should extend Shiloh (the street by Red Lobster) across Mud Creek and connect it to Van Asche ( the street by the former Smoky Bones and Red Robin). It would give this new development a better chance at success and also take traffic off Mall Ave. Extending Shiloh isn't on the Master Street Plan but if the developer was willing to contribute the city might add it.

That Liberty Bank building will be over 20,000 sq. ft. so it should be a main office. They were having access issue with that - will there be a driveway off Joyce now?

I've always thought they should extend Shiloh (the street by Red Lobster) across Mud Creek and connect it to Van Asche ( the street by the former Smoky Bones and Red Robin). It would give this new development a better chance at success and also take traffic off Mall Ave. Extending Shiloh isn't on the Master Street Plan but if the developer was willing to contribute the city might add it.

That Liberty Bank building will be over 20,000 sq. ft. so it should be a main office. They were having access issue with that - will there be a driveway off Joyce now?

I have always thought the same thing. Shiloh should extend and meet by all of the restaurants. Better connectivity would have been much smarter than a cul-du-sac.

I would guess that Liberty bank does not realy need an access off of Joyce, Vantage with the stoplight should be enough.

There are no plans to extend Shiloh and I don't think there ever will be. There is some talk about creating better access off the expressway by building a flyover ramp, but if an when that ever happens, who knows.

There are no plans to extend Shiloh and I don't think there ever will be. There is some talk about creating better access off the expressway by building a flyover ramp, but if an when that ever happens, who knows.

Welcome aboard- always good to have a new contributer!

You may be right about Shiloh, but it would be a boost to that immediate area if they did it.

I've read about the plans for a flyover but the amount of money budgeted seems much to low to actually build it. Seems like it was one of three projects coming out of a 9 million dollar pot. A flyover from northbound N. College to westbound Fulbright with a conection to Mall Ave. would take a lot more than that.

Welcome aboard- always good to have a new contributer!

You may be right about Shiloh, but it would be a boost to that immediate area if they did it.

I've read about the plans for a flyover but the amount of money budgeted seems much to low to actually build it. Seems like it was one of three projects coming out of a 9 million dollar pot. A flyover from northbound N. College to westbound Fulbright with a conection to Mall Ave. would take a lot more than that.

Yea, the flyover will do one thing and one thing only, allow better access to Fulbright Expressway from N bound College. It will inadvertently add better mall access by removing the many people who U-turn at Joyce from N to S bound College from the equation at that intersection.

Yea, the flyover will do one thing and one thing only, allow better access to Fulbright Expressway from N bound College. It will inadvertently add better mall access by removing the many people who U-turn at Joyce from N to S bound College from the equation at that intersection.

Might save a restaurant or two as well. Ask O'Charleys...

I believe I did read that the developers would be asked by the city to make improvements to Shiloh. I had hoped maybe that might make it more likely that Shiloh be extended. But I do agree it needs to be done. With the city so concerned about losing revenue and wanting to make it easier to get around that part of the city. I'm surprised that connecting Shiloh seems to be such a low priority.

Fayetteville has access to $7.66M in federal funds for the flyover and the city engineer told me the total cost for the project is around $9.57 million to do the flyover and build an overpass connecting North Hills to Steele Blvd. I thought that number sounded low as well, but that's what he said. It's only a one-lane flyover, so I'm sure that helps reduce the cost.

Fayetteville has access to $7.66M in federal funds for the flyover and the city engineer told me the total cost for the project is around $9.57 million to do the flyover and build an overpass connecting North Hills to Steele Blvd. I thought that number sounded low as well, but that's what he said. It's only a one-lane flyover, so I'm sure that helps reduce the cost.

I went to the city website and looked at the road bond program update. The amount budgeted is indeed $9.57 million but that is before any design work has been done. Looking at some of the other projects and also some of Springdale's road bond projects makes it clear that number is low and hard decisions about what to fund will have to be made. I think the flyover should take priority as that will help the worst traffic problems. As long as they are building a flyover it would also make sense to improve the N. College/Milsap intersection all as one project. Do it right the first time instead of having to go back and redo it later.

This project is #6 0n the list.

Fayetteville Road Bond Program link

• 3 months later...

The Democrat-Gazette reports there's a new specialty hospital coming to the East Joyce corridor. Physicians Surgery Center on Parkview just north of Joyce and across from Butterfield Trail Village is expanding to become a 23 bed facillty in a 45,000 sq. ft. building. It specializes in muscoskeletal procedures. The new hospital will cost $20 million and is scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2009. If I can find renderings I'll post them later.

The Democrat-Gazette reports there's a new specialty hospital coming to the East Joyce corridor. Physicians Surgery Center on Parkview just north of Joyce and across from Butterfield Trail Village is expanding to become a 23 bed facillty in a 45,000 sq. ft. building. It specializes in muscoskeletal procedures. The new hospital will cost $20 million and is scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2009. If I can find renderings I'll post them later.

Okay I did hear something about that. But I guess I misunderstood and though it was going somewhere over around Milsap, a bit closer to Washington Regional.

That is the first I have heard of this and my office is basically right next door.

The Northwest Arkansas Business Journal is reporting that another medical project is being developed on Parkview Drive just north of East Joyce. Katie Stockstill in her Real Deals column says there is a three building medical campus going in on a 5 acre lot, which must be the one directly across from Physicians Surgery Center. The development will have a total of 79,584 sq. ft. in 2 story buildings. When I drove through the area today I saw dirt work has started.

As for the expansion of Physicians Surgery Center- the article I read says that the existing 2 story building is 12,000 sq. ft. Looking at the lot, the building itself and the parking lots on each end take up the entire lot it seems. The parking will be needed, so the only way to expand will be up. To reach 45,000 sq. ft there will need to be an additional 33,000 sq. ft added. It could make for a 5-6 story building for Fayetteville's north side. It will interesting to see how it is constructed.

The Northwest Arkansas Business Journal is reporting that another medical project is being developed on Parkview Drive just north of East Joyce. Katie Stockstill in her Real Deals column says there is a three building medical campus going in on a 5 acre lot, which must be the one directly across from Physicians Surgery Center. The development will have a total of 79,584 sq. ft. in 2 story buildings. When I drove through the area today I saw dirt work has started.

As for the expansion of Physicians Surgery Center- the article I read says that the existing 2 story building is 12,000 sq. ft. Looking at the lot, the building itself and the parking lots on each end take up the entire lot it seems. The parking will be needed, so the only way to expand will be up. To reach 45,000 sq. ft there will need to be an additional 33,000 sq. ft added. It could make for a 5-6 story building for Fayetteville's north side. It will interesting to see how it is constructed.

Thanks for the news. Interesting how this area is suddenly becoming a hot spot for medical projects.

Thanks for the news. Interesting how this area is suddenly becoming a hot spot for medical projects.

It's too bad those places are only accessible by driving mostly. I guess that's just the way it goes. There will definitely be more traffic bottlenecks as that area continues to grow. Nonetheless, I'll welcome a multistory building there on Joyce.

It's too bad those places are only accessible by driving mostly. I guess that's just the way it goes. There will definitely be more traffic bottlenecks as that area continues to grow. Nonetheless, I'll welcome a multistory building there on Joyce.

Technically, East Joyce is easily accessible from the Mud Creek Trail (via the sidewalk on Old Missouri Rd), which will be connected to the Scull Creek trail.

Granted, it is far removed from the bulk of Fayetteville's population, but if you wanted to get there on foot, its very possible.

I don't know how many people are going to walk to get surgery though. :shades:

Still, I appreciate the ped-friendly sentiments.

Technically, East Joyce is easily accessible from the Mud Creek Trail (via the sidewalk on Old Missouri Rd), which will be connected to the Scull Creek trail.

Granted, it is far removed from the bulk of Fayetteville's population, but if you wanted to get there on foot, its very possible.

I don't know how many people are going to walk to get surgery though. :shades:

Still, I appreciate the ped-friendly sentiments.

:lol: I actually had an outpatient procedure on a foot last year at Physicians Surgery Center- I was able to walk in but there was no way I was walking out.

There is a fair amount of pedestrian traffic on East Joyce, mostly from Butterfield Trail Village and the apartments around there. Maybe when/if Bellafont is finished a better connection to the trails system can be made for the north side of Joyce.

Archived