McPherson Park

gs3

I knew the city had been working on McPherson Park as I believe RT posted some photos of the new entrance. I didn't realize until I was down in the park, how much greenway has been added...new trails, new bridges, etc. The greenway goes right to the back door of The Park condos. It's looking really nice! :thumbsup: A few photos of the progress:

CIMG4592.jpg

CIMG4590.jpg

CIMG4591.jpg

CIMG4596.jpg

CIMG4597.jpg

CIMG4594.jpg

CIMG4593.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Read an article that McPherson used to have a small train running through the park for kids to ride. It was moved out to Brushy Creek many years ago. Anybody from Greenville remember this? This could be neat to have back in the park downtown......it could go along with the planned carousel. George the Train, I believe was his name.

Now this may sound crazy, but I really think you're onto something seriously big for downtown Greenville, gsupstate. Now I can imagine both the carousel and train in McPherson Park, but think about this: How about a really cool carousel next to Linky Stone Park, and a small train running along the Reedy River either north or south or both directions between Cleveland Park and the future 160-acre park beyond the Kroc Center. This is thinking very big, I know, but it would certainly be a draw to downtown and the many places of activity along the Reedy River corridor. What do you all think? Too crazy?

I think having a "George II" in McPherson Park along with a carousel and an updated put-put course would be excellent for starters. I could see the train connecting up with Cleveland Park and the Greenville Zoo from McPherson, myself. There's enough going on along the Reedy River already. I'd like to see some balance come to the North/East end of the park system. -_-

I think having a "George II" in McPherson Park along with a carousel and an updated put-put course would be excellent for starters. I could see the train connecting up with Cleveland Park and the Greenville Zoo from McPherson, myself. There's enough going on along the Reedy River already. I'd like to see some balance come to the North/East end of the park system. -_-

And perhaps a small train like this would help people realize the value of having light rail in Greenville - especially if people used it and enjoyed its convenience.

Archived