Photo Tour of City Center

urbanfan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be a downer, but all these developments (e.g. TC, City Center, new DT construction, 31st Hilton, etc.) are starting to look the same to me. In fact, they look the same throughout the mid-atlantic and northeast. Developments like the Granby Tower and the VB Convention Center really stand out architecturally as does Nauticus. Is there a name for this bland, uninspiring, and easily forgettable architecture style?

Thanks for the pics.

Not to be a downer, but all these developments (e.g. TC, City Center, new DT construction, 31st Hilton, etc.) are starting to look the same to me.  In fact, they look the same throughout the mid-atlantic and northeast.  Developments like the Granby Tower and the VB Convention Center really stand out architecturally as does Nauticus.  Is there a name for this bland, uninspiring, and easily forgettable architecture style?

Thanks for the pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still think the mind set is being set for the area. It does look similar but its better than what was there.

Not to be a downer, but all these developments (e.g. TC, City Center, new DT construction, 31st Hilton, etc.) are starting to look the same to me.  In fact, they look the same throughout the mid-atlantic and northeast.  Developments like the Granby Tower and the VB Convention Center really stand out architecturally as does Nauticus.  Is there a name for this bland, uninspiring, and easily forgettable architecture style?

Thanks for the pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bah, just wait you'll see.

I'm glad to see someone finally went out there and took some pictures at all the construction going on.

great to see the area looks much more walkable. They have done a great job creating a good urban feel.

hoobo, I do have to agree. The area doesn't have that many architecture firms and has less good firms. Honestly cant think of any good firms off the top of my head. It doesn't help either not having actual schools of architecture in the region. So for great architects, developers have to look outside of the region which tends to tack on higher costs (a bad word for developers to hear).

Thanks for the pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"New Ersatzism", "Faux Urbanism" take your pick.

great to see the area looks much more walkable.  They have done a great job creating a good urban feel.

hoobo, I do have to agree.  The area doesn't have that many architecture firms and has less good firms.  Honestly cant think of any good firms off the top of my head.  It doesn't help either not having actual schools of architecture in the region.  So for great architects, developers have to look outside of the region which tends to tack on higher costs (a bad word for developers to hear).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem lies with CMSS. Most of the big projects get gobbled up by them. We have some great architecture firms up here on the peninsula, such as Rancorn Wildman and others. Rancorn did the seven story building for Jefferson Labs, and many other architecturally beautiful buildings. The problem is that CMSS got there hands in the bag before the city center concept came to fruition and thats all the Oyster Point Town Center LLC knows any more. They could at least get other architects to get some character.

Here is a pic of jefferson labs building. This is not the most flattering side of the building though.

JLAB_55.jpg

Now that's nice architecture. I also like the NNSB engineering center. Although there are bland buildings going up in DT Norfolk, City Center and TC are more susceptible to this because as urbanfan said, they're CMSS projects. I know it's cheaper to sole-source a design project to one firm, but for large developments like City Center and TC, which are supposed to mimic downtowns, it would be nice to have different architectural styles. That would better mimic a downtown.

They've got ahold of Vabeach and Norfolk too. Some of its OK and alot of it is very bland!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cityview looks absolutely fantastic by contrast. Makes me wonder if they had a guest architect show up for that one. :lol: I just love the incorporation of brick in urban projects like that. It gives the project a warmer and less sterile or manufactured feel than the others.

Cityview looks absolutely fantastic by contrast. Makes me wonder if they had a guest architect show up for that one.  :lol: I just love the incorporation of brick in urban projects like that. It gives the project a warmer and  less sterile or manufactured feel than the others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TC has brickwork, too. There's stonework at Chang's. And granite is also used in some places. But I'm not talking about the facade materials, I'm talking architectural style. All these buildings look the same: cheapest possible construction that looks nice, serves its purpose, and maximizes profit. What happened to buildings as public art? Even stark concrete geometric shapes by Le Corbousier look better than this disposable junk. It just seems that present-day construction is intended to have a 20-year shelf-life before being torn down for the next cookie-cutter redevelopment project.

TC has brickwork, too.  There's stonework at Chang's.  And granite is also used in some places.  But I'm not talking about the facade materials, I'm talking architectural style.  All these buildings look the same:  cheapest possible construction that looks nice, serves its purpose, and maximizes profit.  What happened to buildings as public art?  Even stark concrete geometric shapes by Le Corbousier look better than this disposable junk.  It just seems that present-day construction is intended to have a 20-year shelf-life before being torn down for the next cookie-cutter redevelopment project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your also talking alot more money post 9-11 too. Companies just don't want to spend the money for it. Also we aren't getting some F-500 companies with the money to blow on a architectural masterpieces either.

Also the rise in construction costs are also taking away the possible funds that they could use for that. I too want awesome architectural sound buildings around here but until we get more money here with F-500 companies and I know you going to say that you don't see any companies moving here but thats what its going to take

Also the rise in construction costs are also taking away the possible funds that they could use for that. I too want awesome architectural sound buildings around here but until we get more money here with F-500 companies and I know you going to say that you don't see any companies moving here but thats what its going to take

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that the astromonical rise in construction costs is cutting into bottom lines, and therefore, design budgets. It seems now that most architecturally significant buildings are public/entertainment facilities like museums and concert halls, hotels, and condominium buildings. As you assumed, I don't think F-500 companies will just get up and move to HR without some huge financial incentive. F-500 companies generally don't relocate unless it's merger related or financially or logisitically better for the company. That's why shipping firms and defense contractors have moved large operations to HR. That said, I do see HR landing regional HQ's of F-500 companies. The best thing is to develop home-grown companies like Amerigroup and Trader Publishing. The emergence of TC and City Center (like that transition back to the topic?) as complementary alternatives to DT Norfolk should help the area be more attractive. I think having more than one visible business center shows that area isn't the backwater some people think it is. It shows that HR is economically healthy.

TC has brickwork, too.  There's stonework at Chang's.  And granite is also used in some places.  But I'm not talking about the facade materials, I'm talking architectural style.  All these buildings look the same:  cheapest possible construction that looks nice, serves its purpose, and maximizes profit.  What happened to buildings as public art?  Even stark concrete geometric shapes by Le Corbousier look better than this disposable junk.  It just seems that present-day construction is intended to have a 20-year shelf-life before being torn down for the next cookie-cutter redevelopment project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the architecture you are wanting is happening all over the world, just not in the midatlantic region.

What really hurts the region is no good architecture school with young minds are entering the workforce there, it is just what the firms there try to bring in.

Actually the architecture you are wanting is happening all over the world, just not in the midatlantic region.

What really hurts the region is no good architecture school with young minds are entering the workforce there, it is just what the firms there try to bring in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats not entirely true cause its up to the businesses to what they want. They don't have to go to a local architect. I've seen plenty plans with out of state companies that design the projects. Part of the problem is the developers decision on who they choose.

Now that's nice architecture.  I also like the NNSB engineering center.  Although there are bland buildings going up in DT Norfolk, City Center and TC are more susceptible to this because as urbanfan said, they're CMSS projects.  I know it's cheaper to sole-source a design project to one firm, but for large developments like City Center and TC, which are supposed to mimic downtowns, it would be nice to have different architectural styles.  That would better mimic a downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We finally get some buildings going up and now we complain about them not having much character. In time, when more money pours into the City Center area, better buildings will spring up, to attract tenants.

We finally get some buildings going up and now we complain about them not having much character.  In time, when more money pours into the City Center area, better buildings will spring up, to attract tenants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. We are just starting to sprout and I have no problem with it.

We finally get some buildings going up and now we complain about them not having much character.  In time, when more money pours into the City Center area, better buildings will spring up, to attract tenants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where will these better buildings go when all available lots are being built upon today?

Archived