Photo Tour of City Center

urbanfan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really is still alot of room in that area

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. It is the city's wish to make that "the Peninsula's DT area", and basically City Center is totally surrounded by 1-2 story office and warehouse space. All the buildings surrounding City Center and extending over to Jefferson Ave are prime for redevelopment.

just think of all the warehouses in that area. All of which could easily be sold to developers to turn into a collections of mixed use projects and office centers.

now would be a great time for them to start thinking about future growth, streetcars, and such. This is a great chance for Newport News to shed thier bad name and control the peninsula.

• 3 months later...

I took some pictures out at the City Center at Oyster Point Development. Here are a few for starters:

Picture 1: The Marriot (almost complete) and Conference Center next to it

CityCenter3.jpg

Picture 2: The retail and office space that's already up and running

CityCenter2.jpg

Picture 3: Unfinished "merchant's row" below the municipal office building below the biggest office building

CityCenter1.jpg

After reading through the thread, some of you all are quite harsh, and probably could benefit from some perspective. Newport News is not a large city. It is a small city in a mid-sized greater geographic area. I think this development is nice for the most part, and I think it complements Port Warwick (right down the road) rather nicely. Look at the third picture I posted. That looks pretty darned urban (and cool) to me.

Very nice pictures, SMD! I was down there just about a half hour ago with a friend and I hadn't been for awhile. It's really come along a lot since I've seen it last. As nice as your pictures are, I don't think it does the development justice. But I think we should wait until this spring to take the next round of pictures because that's when a lot of it will be up and running.

Port Warwick has really come along as well. I'm not as big a fan of PW as City Center, but it really is coming along as a really nice little area.

Newport News isn't a huge city, but it isn't small either. Not anymore. With the recent Wolseley announcement to headquarter in Newport News, I think it's showing that the city has come a long way. Even if it isn't as big as Va Beach or Norfolk, it does have an important role in the greater HR MSA. It's at least the third most important city.

With the huge retail in the Oyster Point corridor, Port Warwick, and City Center, there is a critical mass in the city that's bound to make really good things happen. And this can only be good for the entire region.

I admit it, I'm an unabashed NN chauvanist. :D

I admit it, I'm an unabashed NN chauvanist. :D

Hello, I too am an "unabashed NN chauvanis"...Dont get me wrong, I like Norfolk and truly consider it the nucleus to with Hampton Roads area, but there is something about watching Newport News truly begin to take off and transform. Believe me, there is still more room for improvement, but it is getting there

No kidding. Norfolk, for all the great developments it has had, has always been the urban nucleus of the region. The fact that Newport News has gotten this far in so little time, to me, is nothing short of extraordinary!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived