The Mela

gs3

This post should probably be in events, but thought it warranted it's own thread as it goes to the core of the great diversity in Greenville.

The Indian Association of Greater Greenville is hosting an all day event on March 18th at Palmetto...."The Mela" where you can find all things Indian, from food to music to holistic healing practices. Check out the website:

http://www.iagg.org

The city has supported the event with banners that are up downtown announcing the event. :thumbsup:

On a side, but related note, I work with a guy who lives in DC and is from Mumbai. He's always chatting about Greenville and said it's fairly general knowledge that Greenville has one of the largest Indian populations in the South. :thumbsup:

Check out and support this event!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the bright orange banners hanging from light posts downtown. I'm planning to check it out.

Thanks, gsupstate! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the city has really gotten behind this event. Every light post on the Church Street bridge has a bright orange banner for The Mela. Multiple other streets have the banners as well. I'm hearing it will be a really nice event! :thumbsup:

Went and checked out the Mela today. Very interesting. When we arrived around 11:30 or so it was not very crowded. By the time we were leaving (around 1:15) the hall and outdoor eatery were both very crowded. My only complaint was that there was not more of a variety of food available (as in more Indian cuisine particularly of the vegetarian variety). Well that and the "ticket" approach - I prefer to be able to pay cash at the stand so I don't have to make sure I have enough tickets when I decide that I want 2 of everything instead of just 1 :)

All in all well worth the admission fee.

^ Got there about the same time as you gregtrob and left aound 3:30. By the time I left, the place was absolutely packed! Thought it was a really great event. Watched a couple videos and movies produced in "Bollywood", in the theater room. Thought this was a great addition to the festival! :thumbsup:

I had my heart set on a good cold Kingfisher, so my only complaint was the event didn't serve alcohol. The sugar can juice w/ginger on the other hand was excellent!

In talking with a few people there, they plan to continue to grow this event each year. Nice to see such a strong Indian community in Greenville and the support from the citizens of Greenville! :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...
A day with India is coming up this year on Saturday, March 31st at The Carolina First Center. If you like Indian culture and food, or if you want to explore and find out more, I'd encourage you to check it out. Great event last year. :thumbsup: This year's event should be even larger.

Here is the link for additional info:

http://www.iagg.org/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
^ Got there about the same time as you gregtrob and left aound 3:30. By the time I left, the place was absolutely packed! Thought it was a really great event. Watched a couple videos and movies produced in "Bollywood", in the theater room. Thought this was a great addition to the festival! :thumbsup:

I had my heart set on a good cold Kingfisher, so my only complaint was the event didn't serve alcohol. The sugar can juice w/ginger on the other hand was excellent!

In talking with a few people there, they plan to continue to grow this event each year. Nice to see such a strong Indian community in Greenville and the support from the citizens of Greenville! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

The Mela was today at Carolina First Center. The place was packed the entire time I was there. All the local Indian restaurants were there. Great food, music, jewelry, fabrics, clothes, dance, travel, Bollywood, art, sand art, kids events, etc, etc. Talked with some several people from Atlanta who had come up from the event.....it is generally known apparently that Greenville's Indian community is one of the largest in the Southeast rivaling DC and Atlanta....pretty good for a place that "lacks diversity".....sarcasm. :lol:

Anyway, a great day and great event.

Some photos:

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg