UP Greenville / Upstate Meetup

jarvismj

Where would you prefer to meet up? (subject to change!)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you prefer to meet up? (subject to change!)

• Chiefs
    • Wild Wing Cafe
    • Barley's Taproom
    • Mellow Mushroom
    • Sticky Fingers
    • Irashai Sushi Pub
    • Other

After attending the ballpark tour, and meeting several other members of UP, I was thinking that it would be interesting to have a meetup somewhere here in the next few weeks. I'm open for places and times. I realize that a lot of us travel for a living, so it would have to be on a weekend. Anyways, lets open up this thread to ideas.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you'd like this to be an Upstate meet up, then we should move this to the Upstate section.

One idea is this- if we organize an Upstate group, and have a relatively regular schedule, then you can rotate cities. Though given the large number of Greenvillians on UP it would need to be focused there.

Even though this is an upstate meetup, Greenville is very much in the center of everything for the upstate. I'm even up for rotating cities between Greenville and Spartanburg. I'm just thinking of for the most part, probably 80% of the members that post in the forum live in Greenville County. Just an observation, and I'm open to ideas and opinions.

Even though this is an upstate meetup, Greenville is very much in the center of everything for the upstate. I'm even up for rotating cities between Greenville and Spartanburg. I'm just thinking of for the most part, probably 80% of the members that post in the forum live in Greenville County. Just an observation, and I'm open to ideas and opinions.

I know, and that is why I said that it would be focused on Greenville. I'm thinking 3 in Greenville then 1 somewhere else. Something like that. Of course we need to work on getting the first one worked out before we move on to the next.

Chief's is a diner/bar and plenty big enough since they moved to Congaree Rd. With an open atmosphere and tables large enough to hold a crowd and beer for those of us that drink... we could order tons of wings and appetizers and split the tab (drinks of course would be seperate) - any night but Wednesday is good.

(idea #1)

I'm game for Chiefs. The only concern that I have is that some members are not of legal drinking age, so I don't know if they would be allowed into Chiefs. Here are some other ideas that I'm going to toss out for thought. I just discovered how to add a poll, so that I think will be the easiest way of doing this.

I'm thinking that due to scheduling conflicts, the best time would be April 1, 2006. This is a Saturday, so those who travel will be able to schedule around it. Also, being a weekend, I'm sure that it would be a late night. I'm pulling for either Chiefs or Sticky Fingers, as they seem to have a nice big dining rooms.

I agree that the weekend would be best. Thats about a month from now.

Lets go ahead and set that date (April 1, 2006).

If you can't make that day, then dont worry. I am certain there will be more.

Right now Wild Wings and Mellow Mushroom are tied, but we can see which place is ahead closer to that date.

Wild Wings may not be the best place since they don't have very many large tables. Sticky Fingers may be better for that. I've never been to the Mellow Mushroom in Greenville, so I am not sure about their seating arrangements. Can someone describe what they have?

For now, I need a "Yes" that you are planning to attend so that I can make a list. I don't know whether I can go or not at this point, but I don't mind organizing this get together. Once we get a good list, and we get closer to that date we can get a specific time, which I will PM to everyone.

I've never been to the Mellow Mushroom in Greenville, so I am not sure about their seating arrangements. Can someone describe what they have?

Mellow Mushroom has a couple of very large tables and several smaller tables which can be put together to seat larger tops.

Here are some photos, but you can't see much of the seating arrangements in them.

I will be out of town that weekend for a wedding on the 1st of April. :( Let me know the next available date, so I can plan ahead now.

How about the first Saturday of each month? Or we could do every other month. I'm open to suggestions, if those aren't acceptable.

If we have a small enough group it could be possible to sit outside. This is a great time of year for that.

Outside would be nice. This makes me think of another idea for these meet-ups, too: If only we had some sort of banner announcing "Upstate Members of Urban Planet Meeting Up!" to tie to the railing there along Washington Street at Wild Wing while we're meeting up... I'd be willing to go in if we were to get together and take up a collection to pay for one. :lol:

Outside would be nice. This makes me think of another idea for these meet-ups, too: If only we had some sort of banner announcing "Upstate Members of Urban Planet Meeting Up!" to tie to the railing there along Washington Street at Wild Wing while we're meeting up... I'd be willing to go in if we were to get together and take up a collection to pay for one. :lol:

Hey that would be neat!

For anyone that isn't aware of it, the Expo Center is having "A Day with India" on the 18th -from 10am -7pm. If you like learning about different cultures, this is a must to be at... and it's fairly cheap to get in... proceeds are going to Meals on Wheels.

Archived