UP Greenville / Upstate Meetup

jarvismj

Where would you prefer to meet up? (subject to change!)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you prefer to meet up? (subject to change!)

• Chiefs
    • Wild Wing Cafe
    • Barley's Taproom
    • Mellow Mushroom
    • Sticky Fingers
    • Irashai Sushi Pub
    • Other

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Wild Wings is in the lead. I need for everyone who is willing and able to go on Saturday April 1, 2006 to send me a PM with your prefered time to get things started. I will assume that your PM means you want to go! You must send me a PM before THURSDAY MARCH 30 to get on the list!

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that this will last until it ends :)

For all of those attending tonight, please call me at 864-XXX-XXXX. This will help is getting an accurate tally on how large a table, etc we need to get.

I will be in shorts and t-shirt

Edit: I don't need my cell # hanging out online.

Tonight's meetup was great. Unfortunately, only four showed up, but it was great having the same caliber of discussion that happens on the forums, without having to sit at a computer. We honestly need to plan the next one out. Also, due to crowds at Wild Wings, we decided to eat at Barleys Taproom, outside on the sidewalk. The next time that we do this, lets go somewhere not so packed out, especially on a weekend.

You guys missed out. The meet-up Saturday night was great. We worked out a master development plan for Greenville for the next 25 years and we're presenting it to Mayor White and the City Council on Tuesday. We're expecting to host the 2024 Olympics.

OK, so that might be an exaggeration, but it was pretty fun. Whistle-Stop alone could carry the whole evening on the sheer force of his personality. The discussion covered the sorry state of Greenville schools, whether it's cooler to be able to fly or turn invisible, and where the smell of pot was coming from.

The moral of the story is: don't miss the next meet-up.

I do not think Greenville schools are in a sorry state at all. Perhaps this is a bad comparison, but Greenville schools stand tall among SC's schools. And I would think they compare fairly favorably to schools in other parts of the country in similar-sized metros. How many other school districts can say that they are either refurbishing or rebuilding just about every school in the county? I am not denying that there are issues, but let's not act like we are as sorry as Charleston County schools or something!

I need to stop reading the forums from work, as I've done absolutely nothing productive today. The meetup was awesome, being just a time to kick back, drink a few beers, etc. Again, my biggest concern was the fact that WildWings is completely packed on the weekends, so Mellow Mushroom and maybe Brixx, which is smokefree until 10PM, might be better options for next time. I actually believe that Brixx takes reservations also. Everyone, clear your schedules for the next meetup, and I'm thinking April 29th or May 6 for the next possible dates. I'd like for greater participation in the next one, so I'm requesting Spartan redo another poll, with other options also. Also, Lebensk

I do not think Greenville schools are in a sorry state at all. Perhaps this is a bad comparison, but Greenville schools stand tall among SC's schools. And I would think they compare fairly favorably to schools in other parts of the country in similar-sized metros. How many other school districts can say that they are either refurbishing or rebuilding just about every school in the county? I am not denying that there are issues, but let's not act like we are as sorry as Charleston County schools or something!

The Greenville schools debate was about two things: first, whether all the shiny new schools are representative of academic excellence, and second, whether schools should be expensive public edifices or cheap, utilitarin boxes. I've never attended a Greenville school and I haven't tutored in many of them, so I can't really claim to know what the schools are like academically. Besides, that's a lively debate for another Greenville forum. Hint, hint...

By the way, a correction: I meant to give props to "jarvisj3", not "Whistle-stop". It was late, I was tired, and I got confused when I responded. I think I've got it figured out now.

Thats kinda of funny as we were in downtown during that time. Was over at Falls Park for about an hour. Good that you guys had a good time though. I still waiting to see if we could get togather here in the triad.

Archived