Patrick Henry Place Progress

babiko

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some renderings for Patrick Henry Place....which used to be called Patrick Henry Marketplace, but since the big box retail component has been phased out, and the project itself now is mixed-use, they have given it a new name....It definitely looks very nice and impressive

http://www.clinedesignassoc.com/portfolio/...xed&EntryID=116

Oh my lord! I had no idea. That is quite an impressive project. This is getting its own thread, stand by. Great find by the way. :thumbsup: I actually drove by the site the other day and I was like "there's no way anything good will be put in this location". It just didn't have that town center feel. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.

Props for the future light rail station and future transit parking. :):thumbsup:

edit: I wonder how this is gonna affect City Center and Peninsula Town Center? I hope they don't eat eachothers lunch. :unsure:

Wow that is an impressive project! This should be good for the city of Newport News!

Especially if they take light rail and connect it to city center, downtown, and eventually to Norfolk. :yahoo:

That's the only way that Light rail will work for us is to connect both sides of the metro. I emailed the lady at HRT that handles LR and she said they are in the early stages. About the same stage that Norfolk was in about 10 years ago.

About the same stage that Norfolk was in about 10 years ago.

:rofl: So perhaps when I'm in my late 30's i'll be able to take light rail from the peninsula to the southside. At least it's something to look forward to. :)

We'll see who gets a "functioning" light rail line up first, Norfolk or NEWPORT NEWS!

There is no way Newport News would get a functioning light rail before Norfolk. Really that doesn't matter because in order for LR to work it would have to be between both southside and pennisula. Newport News is a cool place and it reminds me of Norfolk.

There is no way Newport News would get a functioning light rail before Norfolk. Really that doesn't matter because in order for LR to work it would have to be between both southside and pennisula. Newport News is a cool place and it reminds me of Norfolk.

We'll see. Wouldn't that be a shame for Norfolk if NN gets light rail up first. I think there would be some private investing for NN's light rail while Norfolk is all government funded. I'm not sure, that's just an assumption. It's all up in the air, until I see something under construction. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

We'll see. Wouldn't that be a shame for Norfolk if NN gets light rail up first. I think there would be some private investing for NN's light rail while Norfolk is all government funded. I'm not sure, that's just an assumption. It's all up in the air, until I see something under construction. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

While this isn't the thread for this discussion Norfolks light rail plan is a bit past "up in the air". You're right though, any miriad of disasters could happen between now and then to kill this thing but it is a fact that every city that has reached Norfolks stage in this process has had their system built except 2. The two who didn't pulled out of their own accord, not because the government cancelled it.

This really is a great looking project. I love how the project is so very urban yet it has plenty of open space as well. It all seems to have a very cohesive feel to it. Way to go! :good:

They don't look cheap either, that's a good thing! When I saw those condos going up off Rt 64 in Hampton, in the coliseum area, I cried. They are the cheapest buildings I've ever seen in my life, and showcased there for every resident and tourist to see, right off 64. Thus far, nothing in NN has been built remotely as cheap as those, and I'd like to keep it that way. Not to mention that depressing convention center, I call it a TENT! Hampton is so desperate for development they'll let anything be built. I wouldn't put this in the Hampton Forum Vdogg, I wouldn't want to hurt any one's feelings.

They don't look cheap either, that's a good thing! When I saw those condos going up off Rt 64 in Hampton, in the coliseum area, I cried. They are the cheapest buildings I've ever seen in my life, and showcased there for every resident and tourist to see, right off 64. Thus far, nothing in NN has been built remotely as cheap as those, and I'd like to keep it that way. Not to mention that depressing convention center, I call it a TENT! Hampton is so desperate for development they'll let anything be built. I wouldn't put this in the Hampton Forum Vdogg, I wouldn't want to hurt any one's feelings.

Stop holding back, tell us what you really think. :)

I wouldn't put this in the Hampton Forum Vdogg, I wouldn't want to hurt any one's feelings.

Then perhaps we should be considerate and not attack others cities. I'm sure if I said the same thing about Newport News you'd be raising hell right now. There are ways to express pride in your city without making degrading remarks about other cities.

Then perhaps we should be considerate and not attack others cities. I'm sure if I said the same thing about Newport News you'd be raising hell right now. There are ways to express pride in your city without making degrading remarks about other cities.

I'm not particularly sensitive to criticism. My intent wasn't to express pride; it was to express my disappointment in Hampton. I love downtown Hampton though! I would love to see a tower rise there. But, I guess you're right. Shame on me. :cry:

There has been a great amount of development on Jefferson Ave from J Clyde to points north, with retail, office and residential components. Do not forget that Villages of Stony Run, another mixed use project is in the building phase right now on the corner of Denbigh and Jefferson.

Hopefully, the city will start turning its attention to Jefferson Ave south of J Clyde, which has sort of become a demarcation line between the older and newer sections of the city. The area of Jefferson between J Clyde and Mercury has many run down parts, used auto stores, and on overall unkempt apperance. The neighborhoods bordering this corridor are for the most part good, solid working middle class areas, thus it is important for the city to invest in this area. Hopefully this area will see some positive spin off from all of the economic developments elsewhere in the city.

As for population, I am still skeptical of 200,000 by 2010. maybe between 190,000 and 195,000

There has been a great amount of development on Jefferson Ave from J Clyde to points north, with retail, office and residential components. Do not forget that Villages of Stony Run, another mixed use project is in the building phase right now on the corner of Denbigh and Jefferson.

Hopefully, the city will start turning its attention to Jefferson Ave south of J Clyde, which has sort of become a demarcation line between the older and newer sections of the city. The area of Jefferson between J Clyde and Mercury has many run down parts, used auto stores, and on overall unkempt apperance. The neighborhoods bordering this corridor are for the most part good, solid working middle class areas, thus it is important for the city to invest in this area. Hopefully this area will see some positive spin off from all of the economic developments elsewhere in the city.

As for population, I am still skeptical of 200,000 by 2010. maybe between 190,000 and 195,000

The population is already over 195,000

Every time someone says that they keep referencing back to the Wikipedia post. Are there any other references? Anyway I agree with Babiko. Still, I think NN is doing a good job with the money it has to make Oyster Point a real urban core/destination and making the East End livable. Isn't there something big going on on Jefferson down where the King Flea used to be?

Every time someone says that they keep referencing back to the Wikipedia post. Are there any other references? Anyway I agree with Babiko. Still, I think NN is doing a good job with the money it has to make Oyster Point a real urban core/destination and making the East End livable. Isn't there something big going on on Jefferson down where the King Flea used to be?

I think that at some point in Newport News' future, it'll have a shape similar to that of New York's (this feeling being amplified by my recent trip there...); Downtown will be reawakened and re-urbanizing while midtown will become the business center and continue to grow upward and become more dense itself; additionally, rail and improved road connections between the different sectors of the city will unify it like never before and provide a usable and effective mass transit to the southside. Some day.. :whistling:

Btw, I'm lovin' the signature mercuex!

The site of the old King Flea is the new headquarters of the NN Police dept...this is a good investment the city is making in rehabilitating this part of Jefferson Ave...an influx of workers who will contribute to the businesses in the area...Riverside set up a large clinic in the Brentwood Shopping Center further up on Jefferson bringing that center to zero vacancy now...

Although Wikipedia is great to find information quickly, it is not always completely accurate since many of the articles are contributed by anyone who browses the site..That is why I am skeptical of the 195,000 pop figure..not even any of the NN city web sites post this figure.

• 4 months later...

Well I've road past the Patrick Henry Place several times and it seems like they are moving so slowly on the project. I think the new plan they have is going to be very nice...much better then the one initially concieved. I'm wondering when they plan on extending Claire Rd. and creating Patrick Henry Pkwy. The other question I have is what do they plan on doing with the rest of the trailor parks that are going to be right next to this development. I know for a fact that the city plans on phasing this trailor park out sometime in the future. But what would go in place of it?

Archived