Patrick Henry Place Progress

babiko

Well I've road past the Patrick Henry Place several times and it seems like they are moving so slowly on the project. I think the new plan they have is going to be very nice...much better then the one initially concieved. I'm wondering when they plan on extending Claire Rd. and creating Patrick Henry Pkwy. The other question I have is what do they plan on doing with the rest of the trailor parks that are going to be right next to this development. I know for a fact that the city plans on phasing this trailor park out sometime in the future. But what would go in place of it?

How is this possible? The trailor park is not city owned. However, I have a few older friends who live back there who have said nothing about moving. As far as patrick henry market place, it will be put up right next the the mobile home park back there and will have to coexist.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I read about the phasing out of this trailor park (next to patrick henry place) in the comprehensive planning of the Newport News website. They mentioned a few other trailor parks that would also be phased out over time. If you look at the "framework for the future" map they have at this site and you look at this area, they have the whole area (patrick henry place and the trailor parks next to it) marked as red...which means the zoning would be mixed used. Of course this map covers all the zonings until the year 2020 or 2030. So maybe this will be a while before something materializes.

Well I read about the phasing out of this trailor park (next to patrick henry place) in the comprehensive planning of the Newport News website. They mentioned a few other trailor parks that would also be phased out over time. If you look at the "framework for the future" map they have at this site and you look at this area, they have the whole area (patrick henry place and the trailor parks next to it) marked as red...which means the zoning would be mixed used. Of course this map covers all the zonings until the year 2020 or 2030. So maybe this will be a while before something materializes.

Framework for the the future is just that. It's what the city would like to see happen. However, whether or not that comes to fruition is debatable. These plans are guidelines, the city has to do one every few years.

• 3 months later...

I had the occasion to eat up near patrick Henry mall and noticed that a massive (the size of this project will be huge :shok: ) land clearing effort is going on where this project is to sit. There were numerous bulldozers and dump trucks and it looks like they are fairly far along in the process. This is the 2nd of the major peninsula projects to get underway which helps to lesson the disappointment from Meridian. Hopefully i'll get a chance this week to go up and take some pics.

I had the occasion to eat up near patrick Henry mall and noticed that a massive (the size of this project will be huge :shok: ) land clearing effort is going on where this project is to sit. There were numerous bulldozers and dump trucks and it looks like they are fairly far along in the process. This is the 2nd of the major peninsula projects to get underway which helps to lesson the disappointment from Meridian. Hopefully i'll get a chance this week to go up and take some pics.

• 2 months later...

Not too much to show yet, but it looks like they've moved on to the installation of utilities. Pictures can not do justice to how massive this project will be. It looks like the plot of land they're working one could swallow 2-3 of City Center whole. maybe it's just a trick of the eye but it just looks like a really massive area.

370950785_493039d136_b.jpg

370950711_ea5442fac8_b.jpg

370950656_322ab5ba6c_b.jpg

370950857_e6f4296d2e_b.jpg

370950909_e110eab41c_b.jpg

370950991_3c3193559e_b.jpg

It is nice to see some activity really starting on this project. The land was cleared a while back but not too much has happened since then. I do not live that far from the project so I will periodically take pics and post them as the project progresses.

Also, NN City Center is still growing. At this time they are building a 5 floor retail/office building right next to the Marriott Hotel. The Pointe condominiums are also being constructed at City Center.

• 1 month later...

link

WTF!!!! :angry:

patrick_henry_glam_0.jpg

You have got to be kidding me? What on earth is wrong with the original design and how is this at all urban? I am so tired of these developers pitching us high ideas and then reverting to crap at the last minute. This has got to be some mistake, perhaps this is an old rendering.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The pictures look good. There has been alot of development going on the Jefferson Ave corridor from J Clyde towards Denbigh. It looks good up there and there are alot of businesses on that strip. Bad News even have stores that have their only Hampton Roads location there like Trader Joe's, World Market, etc. Bad News is doing alot. Even people on the southside go to that area to shop...especially if you want to go to that great store Trader Joe's. I love that place and wish one was on the southside. The only thing I don't like about Patrick Henry Mall is that it's too small. It does have a nice variety of stores unlike Military Circle.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i may take urban away from the byline underneath the thread title. I passed by this today on my way back from Richmond and the buildings they had up so far all looked like regular apartment buildings with beige and tan vinyl siding (our worst fears have indeed been realized). Nothing like the original rendering at all. I'm horribly disappointed in this. It looks like these guys decided to pull a bait and switch on the city council. They presented them with a wonderful looking project and then built crap instead :angry: . Sadly, this is something we should all be getting used to here in the 7 cities.

I think i may take urban away from the byline underneath the thread title. I passed by this today on my way back from Richmond and the buildings they had up so far all looked like regular apartment buildings with beige and tan vinyl siding (our worst fears have indeed been realized). Nothing like the original rendering at all. I horribly disappointed in this. It looks like these guys decided to pull a bait and switch on the city council. They presented them with a wonderful looking project and then built crap instead :angry: . Sadly, this is something we should all be getting used to here in the 7 cities.

• 3 months later...

Time for me to eat some crow. I spoke waaaay too soon about this project. While the initial residential buildings may have seemed suburban, the rest of the project seems to be quite urban and in a word, massive. I passed by the area on the freeway for the first time in months and was surprised to see a couple of 4-8 story buildings going up that were quite massive in size. They are being constructed with steel and are likely the larger brick buildings we saw depicted in the earlier renderings. All told, it looks like this is going to turn out to be about the size of City Center judging by all the land they cleared. It's already an impressive site from the freeway with the few buildings going up now.

• 6 months later...

This project is meh to me. The brick frontage looks good, too bad it's surrounded by 3 sides of vinyl, which is the part visible from the freeway. It seemed to me earlier that they were starting to head in the right direction, unfortunately it looks like i'm going to have to retract my earlier retraction. I'm not fond of the Chesapeake style hotels either. This project is a shadow of what was originally put on paper.

Archived