Congrats to the Winthrop Eagles

The_sandlapper

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to get around to starting this thread, but thanks Sandlapper for doing it for me. It was a close one, only decided in the last few seconds. The atmosphere was LIVE! I hope this time we can get past the first round, though.

My fraternity brother did speculate about Greg Marshall, Winthrop's men's basketball coach, possibly receiving an offer from Carolina. That would be quite interesting. I also wonder how long Winthrop and Coastal will stay in the Big South.

In other Rock Hill athletic news, the Rock Hill Bearcats men's basketball team won its first ever Class AAAA state title.

Good for Leslie, SC! Hopefully the real Rock Hill basketball team will win next time...

Sorry, I honestly am not like that, I had only attended one Northwestern High sports event - but it was a good game against Rock Hill when both were in competition for the state title in '88 or '89.

I don't know if the Rock Hill MPO or York County gov produces their own projections or estimates but I double checked. Indeed - 325,000 by 2021 & an estimated population of 208,393 currently.

But if the current population is in fact 208k, that would place it higher than SC Office of Research and Statistics' estimate for 2010 & nearly as much as 2015.

Speaking of Rock Hill - I just reviewed a powerpoint presentation made by the MPO there. In twenty years York County has added over 100,000 in just 15 years ANOTHER 100,000 is projected to move - over 300,000!

I can believe it. I believe that by 2020, it will become the Charlotte-Rock Hill-Gastonia (or possibly Concord) MSA.

• 3 months later...

Gregg Marshall, the men's basketball coach at Winthrop who guided the team to six Big South championships and six NCAA tournament appearances, announced on Tuesday that he was leaving Winthrop for the College of Charleston.

On Thursday, he announced he's changed his mind.

I literally gasped when I read he wasn't going anywhere; that's awesome news. I was ready to hand the next Big South championship title to Coastal, but it looks like we'll be playing in the championship again with a great possibility of winning! Go Eagles!

The College of Charleston would have been, at best, a lateral move for Marshall anyway, in terms of the caliber of the school's basketball program; I'd say it was actually a step down. There has been talk about Marshall going to USC if Odom leaves.

Gregg Marshall, the men's basketball coach at Winthrop who guided the team to six Big South championships and six NCAA tournament appearances, announced on Tuesday that he was leaving Winthrop for the College of Charleston.

On Thursday, he announced he's changed his mind.

I literally gasped when I read he wasn't going anywhere; that's awesome news. I was ready to hand the next Big South championship title to Coastal, but it looks like we'll be playing in the championship again with a great possibility of winning! Go Eagles!

The College of Charleston would have been, at best, a lateral move for Marshall anyway, in terms of the caliber of the school's basketball program; I'd say it was actually a step down. There has been talk about Marshall going to USC if Odom leaves.

I heard that the College of Charleston supposedly offered to double Marshall's salary, which if true, explains why a lateral move seemed more appealing. What's bad is that there was a huge press conference/gala at the College of Charleston for Marshall. It was only after this that Marshall supposedly changed his mind. Who knows if Winthrop made a huge last-minute offer to Marshall in attempt to keep him, or if Marshall simply changed his mind. Regardless, it appears to be very bad form on Marshall's part to agree to College of Charleston's offer, to the point that a lot of money was spent on a press conference and celebration to honor him.

To make matters worse, the College of Charleston officials supposedly found about Marshall's change of heart through a reporter - rather from Marshall himself. :wacko:

From the article in Charleston's Post and Courier, CofC was offering $240K annually, while the contract with Winthrop is still at $204K. I think CofC's incentive package was bigger though. I think Marshall might have committed to CofC on a whim. He was down there for vacation, not job-hunting, when he got the call. I guess the excitement just got to him and before he knew it he had said yes. Oh well, better to say no now than a month later.

Although it does look a bit shady on Marshall's part, I applaud him for having the courage to realize he made a mistake, even if he does have to do a bit of damage control. The situation speaks to me on a certain level. :)

I'm extremely disappointed in Charleston right now. VERY low blows.

Apparently someone didn't get the news that Charleston is no longer the center of Southern wealth and culture--meaning it doesn't get its way all the time.

That is quite the hateful article! I find it ironic that the author of the story chooses to paint Rock Hill in a small town/backwards kind of way, considering his last name is Hicks! :lol:

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and that is what makes America great. However, the remarks in this article about Rock Hill are classless. I have never been to Rock Hill, but I am sure it cannot be as bad as this guy makes it sound. Regardless of what Rock Hill is like, nobody in Charleston has a right to brag about their city as if it is a panacea. Charleston isn't a bad place, but for me, it is merely tolerable for the next 3 years.

^Right. And the choice Marshall made wasn't so much Rock Hill over Charleston, it was Winthrop over College of Charleston--two schools that are very much in the same league.

I feel the same way about Rock Hill that you do about Charleston. :thumbsup:

I just found out that Bobby Cremins has accepted the College of Charleston job. I must say I am shocked that he would take that job, but it is certainly C of C's gain. I think he is an excellent coach who knows a lot about the game. I will miss him doing ACC television broadcasts, but wish him the best.

I'm extremely disappointed in Charleston right now. VERY low blows.

Apparently someone didn't get the news that Charleston is no longer the center of Southern wealth and culture--meaning it doesn't get its way all the time.

The reaction to what is essentially an employement issue is sorta odd to me. Lots of folks in all sorts of profesions change their minds about jobs all the time, everyday. This is no different. In fact this has happened in reverse to the College of Charleston before.

Some years back, former CofC Head Coach John Kreese accepted the Head basketball job at Davidson College, then changed his mind and returned to Charleston. And of course, most everyone is the state of South Carolina remembers when, now CofC Head Coach, Bobby Cremins took the job at the U. of South Carolina only to change his mind and return to Georgia Tech. It's not that big a deal.

Archived