Does the HR forum need another subforum?

vdogg

Subforum Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need another subforum?

• Yes-Peninsula (Newport News and Hampton)
    • Yes-Newport News only
    • No-Leave it as is for now, perhaps in the future

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion would be for all Hampton Roads threads dealing with any particular city to be categorized into four subforums: Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Peninsula, and Southside (which would include Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, etc.). Then the Hampton Roads forum would just be left over for purely regional issues.

Things are really picking up on the Peninsula. I say add a Peninsula forum and if thing continue to be hot, split that into NN and Hampton. The Peninsula is much more intergrated than anywhere on the Southside is but that may be because there is not as much animosity between the cities/counties there.

Making just a NN forum is a disservice to Hampton which has a lot of things in the works as well.

We should have a Norfolk, Peninsula, and Southside forums. Norfolk should be the only one with its own forum because of all the projects going on. Virginia Beach only gets a few post per day, thats why I would put them under southside.

Well given at least 14 of the 19 who voted favor some sort of subforum I guess i'll go with the reorganization. I could wait a bit longer with the poll but it there seems to be general consensus that a reorganization is needed. We'll try a peninsula sub for a while and see how that works. I was just looking over the HR sub and we have about 3 pages of general threads inside that subforum. I'm gonna be a little bit more lenient in the HR forum as far as general topics go after the reorganization. More general topic creation that has to do with HR will be allowed. Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Suffolk will likely remain a part of the HR sub for the forseeable future. We'll see how things work out after this. If the Peninsula sub doesn't work out we can always collapse it and try again.

We should have a Norfolk, Peninsula, and Southside forums.

I dont think theres a lot of forumers that are from southside to begin with. I consider southside between Martinsville and Franklin along US 58/and as far as north as US 460. Due to southsides size, the forumers from the western extents would be more inclined for the Roanoke forum, the northern/central extents would be for Richmond and the eastern extents in HR.

I dont think theres a lot of forumers that are from southside to begin with. I consider southside between Martinsville and Franklin along US 58/and as far as north as US 460. Due to southsides size, the forumers from the western extents would be more inclined for the Roanoke forum, the northern/central extents would be for Richmond and the eastern extents in HR.

I think he was referring to southside Hampton Roads aka Norfolk, Va. Beach etc. except he wanted Norfolk to keep its own forum and Va. Beach to be folded back in the mix. For the record, I have no intentions of collapsing the Va. Beach subforum.

We should have a Norfolk, Peninsula, and Southside forums. Norfolk should be the only one with its own forum because of all the projects going on. Virginia Beach only gets a few post per day, thats why I would put them under southside.

Once some of these major projects take off for Vabeach you will see alot more posting in the Vabeach section. Vabeach has alot going on and needs its own forum!

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this is working. There have been no posts for 10 days. What happened to all of our peninsula forumers? Should we keep this forum as is and give it a chance or collapse it back with HR and try something different? I'm open to suggestions.

Honestly I think the Virginia subforum has gotten too complicated. We are having the same conversation in the SC Upstate forum which is similar to this one. Both have an excessive number of subforums compared to the amount of activity that we are seeing. I would say that we ought to drop the Hampton Road/Tidewater Metro section and put everything back under Virginia.

Honestly I think the Virginia subforum has gotten too complicated. We are having the same conversation in the SC Upstate forum which is similar to this one. Both have an excessive number of subforums compared to the amount of activity that we are seeing. I would say that we ought to drop the Hampton Road/Tidewater Metro section and put everything back under Virginia.

Well, I do think it's important to keep Norfolk and Va. Beach as their own subs but as far as peninsula and HR that could probably be done. We would then have Norfolk, Va Beach, Roanoke, and Richmond as subs all under the Virginia banner. Is this what you were thinking?

I would not be in favor of dropping the HR forum as we have quite a bit of postings. If that were the case would you also drop the Richmond forum? Both are quite busy with new postings on a continual basis. I too recommend keeping the Norfolk and VB subforums seperate as they are the bulk of our postings for Hampton Roads. As for the Peninsula forum it seems to have run dry as of late though that does not mean it may not pick back up. If a change would need to be made I would vote to erase the Peninsula and place it back under the HR forum. That being said again I am not at all in favor of dropping the HR and Richmond forums.

Agreed. The peninsula forum has had since march to pick up however and without some extremely major developments i don't know if that's going to happen. I think the peninsula and HR had a symbiotic relationship before and that is why HR was so much busier then, as compared to now. I wanna hear some more thoughts on this though so nows your chance guys. It obviously isn't working as is though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's how I see the subforums unfolding.

USA South

Virginia

Norfolk-Virginia Beach

(and then by order of population)

Virginia Beach

Norfolk

Chesapeake

Newport News

Hampton

Portsmouth

Suffolk

Maybe one titled something like "Regionalism in Norfolk-Virginia Beach" where we can talk transportation/ports/light rail, etc. I say we just drop "Hampton Roads." I doubt anyone would notice and I bet it would actually make things clearer.

Archived